Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Off-Season Thread

Listening to the post season interviews, Rubio said he is excited for this off-season. The coaching staff has given him things he needs to work on this off-season, and that he's never had that before. He also said he's never had the confidence to work on things in the off-season before, and that he's the most excited he's ever been during an off-season.

Definitely agree we have alot of players who will be given a great opportunity to improve. Our team will definitely get better in the off-season through many of our current players improving.

This is how I view our roster next year

PG: Rubio - Exum - (open)
    SG: Mitchell - O'Neale
    SF: Ingles - Sefolosha
    PF: (open or Favors) - Crowder - (open)
    C : Gobert - Bradley

* I feel Burks gets traded. He proved his health and value in the playoffs but we don't have room for him
    * We could bring back Udoh, but Bradly doesn't see the floor if we do and I don't think we do that to the 1st round pick we traded up for
    * Good chance we bring back Favors given the saturated big man market and lack of money out there
    * Neto's contract is up and he has hit his ceiling. An undersize PG who has a tough time staying healthy but when does play, is able to run an offense
    * Jerebko played with good energy, but lacked consistency and probably has already hit his ceiling

Draft
    I think a young stretch 4 is definitely our target. We have youth in every position except that position. Crowder is best off the bench. Favors struggles against spread offenses. Sefolosha is older. Jerebko is older. So that is where we need to add talent... whether draft, trade, or free agency

I agree with the Burks thing. And I think now is the time to trade Burks to someone for a trade up in the draft (if we find someone we like)

I REALLY like the idea of signing Favors for max money this year so we can drop his salary way low when we need the money for a decent stretch 4 or a good playmaking 3, either this season or next season. Then we can have Favors as a backup C.

I look at Favors like Millsap. We let Millsap walk at the same time frame, and Millsap continued to improve year on year, just like Favs had (except for his injury years). If we can develop Favors to be a Millsap 2.0 we will definitely be better of with Favs than someone else.

For the draft I say either stretch 4 or playmaking 3. There's a lot of big men in this draft though, and if we could find a team that wants a playmaking wing, *enter Burks* instead of a Big Man, we just might be able to scoot up in this draft and possibly grab someone that isn't bad.

Things I want:
    -Another Scorer besides Donvan. Maybe even a 6th man kind of guy who can creat shots when Donovan and Rubio are on the Bench. Exum could be this, but who knows with him.
    -A PF who can make 3's. This is kinda tough if we resign Favors. Favors was shooting 3's at the end of the season, but its highly unlikely he turns into a 36% guy for us next year.

Assets we have:
    -A ton of Expiring deals. I have no idea if all teh guys we signed last year are on team options or they are guaranteed. Don't sleep on these too much. Over half the league will be in the Luxury tax this year. there might be a deal we can get by giving up some of these exprings.
    -Our first

.... and not much else besides rotation guys.

BTW I don't want hear about how great this teams chemistry is and how we can't break that up. its great when people don't expect you to make the playoffs and you do. its great when you then win in the first round when no expected you too. that goes out the window when you suddenly you are expected to make the 2nd round the year after and you go from no one believes in us to everyone believes in us.

I was playing around on 2k and according to that we have the following coming off contract

Unrestricted Free Agents
    Favors

Restricted Free Agents
    Exum
    Neto

Team Options
    Thabo Sefalosha
    Jonas Jerebko
    Epke Udoh
    Royce O'Neal

I understand what you're saying regarding the team chemistry. But at the same time, if you blow the team up, then half your team has to learn Snyders defensive and offensive schemes all over again, then you have the same issue we had at the beginning of the year. The main thing is you want to keep improving your team every year. Despite us losing Hayward last year we still improved by winning a game in the second round. Next year we'll want to at least take it to a game 7 in the second round, if not more.

Understand that we had 2 rookies starting in our last playoff series. So they will continue to improve. And at the rate our coaches run at we will probably improve quite a bit in the next few years. But it takes time to develop your players when they're as young as they all are.

As far as 3 and D stretch 4's go, I think the most notable free agent this summer is
    Jabari Parker
    Dewayne Dedmon

Parker is obviously better, but has an injury history.
    Dedmon has the possibility to be decent, but is he better than Jonas Jerebko? I'm not sure.

Targets who I think fit our team and are realistic include:

Bjelica from the Wolves - He can play the 3 or the 4. He shoots the 3. He was way under utilized in Minnesota because they don't rotate guys often and do not have much of an offensive system. But I think he would fit well on a team that does because of what he showed in Europe

Jabari Parker - He doesn't play great defense... at least right now... if he is coachable, we may be able to get him to do it. He is not a great 3 point shooter, but has good form and could improve. I don't think we get him by signing him, only chance at him would be a sign and trade

Aminu from Trailblazers - Exactly the type of player we want at the 4 when doing small ball. Not a free agent. However, Trailblazers are in cap hell right now and disappointed in playoffs this year... maybe they are looking to make some changes

Justice Winslow - High energy play. Can play strech 4. Duke connection. Miami may be looking at making some changes this year

Those are a few possibilities. If Favor stays, we are looking for a part time stretch 4... doesn't have to be a perfect player, but someone who can defend on the perimter and stretch the floor. If Favors does leave, I think we are looking for a higher level player.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefistus View Post
    I was playing around on 2k and according to that we have the following coming off contract

Unrestricted Free Agents
    Favors

Restricted Free Agents
    Exum
    Neto

Team Options
    Thabo Sefalosha
    Jonas Jerebko
    Epke Udoh
    Royce O'Neal

I understand what you're saying regarding the team chemistry. But at the same time, if you blow the team up, then half your team has to learn Snyders defensive and offensive schemes all over again, then you have the same issue we had at the beginning of the year. The main thing is you want to keep improving your team every year. Despite us losing Hayward last year we still improved by winning a game in the second round. Next year we'll want to at least take it to a game 7 in the second round, if not more.

Understand that we had 2 rookies starting in our last playoff series. So they will continue to improve. And at the rate our coaches run at we will probably improve quite a bit in the next few years. But it takes time to develop your players when they're as young as they all are.

As far as 3 and D stretch 4's go, I think the most notable free agent this summer is
    Jabari Parker
    Dewayne Dedmon

Parker is obviously better, but has an injury history.
    Dedmon has the possibility to be decent, but is he better than Jonas Jerebko? I'm not sure.
    yeah I had heard that they were all team options, but most payrolls sites don't list them that way.

its so hard to judge this team. We have our true studs in Mitchell and Gobert. how good does mitchell get? are we getting allen iverson? https://www.basketball-reference.com...r_minute::none with better efficiency?

the 2nd biggest question I have is with our other starters. how much of Rubio's 2nd half surge is him being more comfortable in our offense vs just random luck with his shot? Will ingles be the same next year, worse, or better? can we get crowder to make his 3's or was 2 years ago in Boston a complete fluke? can you really keep favors when he simply can't play against Houston and the warriors except as a backup center.

I see where people say parker, but has so many issues. #1 health. #2 he is restricted so we aren't getting him for cheap. #3 his defense. #4 his passing. #5 isn't a good rebounder. However with all of that said who knows how he does in our system with our guys developing him.

I would say if we're going to make a move for someone this off-season we should gun for it during the draft. That will give us time to develop that person into our system. I also believe Rubio playing awesome was actually Rubio playing awesome, and not being lucky. It a little over half the season and the playoffs, and he just played great.

I think he will continue to improve, and I think Ingles will improve as well. He doesn't have as many miles on his body as most NBA players his age.

I like the idea of picking up Parker and playing him behind Favors. Maybe Favors can still improve at the three, it's completely possible. He has really been working on that aspect of his game. And if he does that will give Jabari the space he needs to grow without pushing his body too hard.

I was checking out my twitter feeds, looks like Utah is starting pre-draft workouts tomorrow and EVERY prospect is either a tall wing, or a small big.

what i love about this off-season, compared to last year's, is we have so much we can do. last year, it was basically us waiting around sitting on our hands waiting for what * was gonna do, then make do with whatever was left. this year is completely different. we can draft bpa, we can target players who fit around a young core that will be here for a few years, and we have a lot of role players who we can cut loose or keep around. we're in control. it might not seem like much, especially when some people's measure of off-season success is how many big names we sign, but to lindsey et al our flexibility is massively important.

i love our fo and am through the roof that we are as good as we are already and still have the luxury to pretty much go in whatever direction we want.
    HAWKS '13 ,'1 4, & '15 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

"of course tom 'jan' brady would whine about a rule change."
    -chipurmunki

I like the idea of picking up Parker and playing him behind Favors. Maybe Favors can still improve at the three, it's completely possible. He has really been working on that aspect of his game. And if he does that will give Jabari the space he needs to grow without pushing his body too hard.

I love your optimism, don't ever change that, but let's stay in reality. Favors is never going to be a stretch 4. It is not possible. He shot 22% from three last year. That is horrible and it is even worse when you consider how wide open he was for most of those attempts. Opposing defenses left him wide open by design. It takes many years of practice for a player to develop into a real outside threat. It's not developed in one offseason, it takes time. Time we don't have for an injury prone center that is 27 years old next season.

Many Jazz fans have a similar attitude towards Favors. Well if we can't find someone better I guess we can keep him. Ca'mon be honest, Favors is just a filler until we can find a stretch 4. Yes statistically coach Quinn made Favors and Rudy work because he is a friggin genius. You know what was even better, Rudy and Crowder for spacing reasons. Rudy and Mitchell are better with spacing. We all know it. So can we stop pretending like this is the best option for us. Favors is just a best player available option or a insurance policy for Rudy. We may sign him to a big offer for next season with an option to dump him next year when we find an upgrade. That may be a smart move, but we are on the lookout for a real long term option. I think Dennis will jump at a short term deal with Favors early in free agency to avoid having another offseason where we have to wait to see if a restricted free agent offer gets matched while other good options get signed. That was a joke last year and I don't see Dennis doing that again.

I definitely agree regarding the circus that was Hayward.

But honestly, my main reason I personally want to keep Favors, is because he CAN play the 4, and backup Rudy to allow Rudy some rest. We've brought in Backup center after backup Center, and no one has been nearly up to par like Favors has been to back up Gobert. And when Gobert is off the floor, that's when teams go ham on Utah.

If you can think of another Center that can do even close to what Rudy does that's coming off free agency then by all means bring it up.

But, on another note, and I truly believe this. People said the EXACT same thing about Millsap, that he doesn't have a 3 ball and can't be a stretch 4. But he developed it and now he's a 35% three point shooter. He started shooting threes at 22%. Exactly like Favors.

I just don't agree with letting someone go that's stepping into his prime, but continues to improve steadily every year. He's not asking for max money either. Just seems like it would be a good idea to keep him, especially as a backup Center.

I agree. I think it is possible to want to keep Favors without being a homer and blind to better options. From podcasts I listen to, I am hearing Favors may only get a mid level exception out on the open market. We can offer him a little more than that and still afford to bring in a stretch 4 type as well. As mentioned, Favors can play center... so should rank as one of the top backup centers in the NBA. He can also play some 4. If he develops a 3 point shot, then maybe he becomes a long term solution. If he doesn't develop a 3... then he still is one of the best center backups in in the NBA and can be an effect 4 when the matchup is right.

So don't close the door but don't offer him alot more money than what others can afford to give him. Could work out really well for us and give him a safe place to continue to build his skills adn try to raise his value. I think a short term contract is in both party's best interests.

I definitely agree regarding the circus that was Hayward.

But honestly, my main reason I personally want to keep Favors, is because he CAN play the 4, and backup Rudy to allow Rudy some rest. We've brought in Backup center after backup Center, and no one has been nearly up to par like Favors has been to back up Gobert. And when Gobert is off the floor, that's when teams go ham on Utah.

If you can think of another Center that can do even close to what Rudy does that's coming off free agency then by all means bring it up.

But, on another note, and I truly believe this. People said the EXACT same thing about Millsap, that he doesn't have a 3 ball and can't be a stretch 4. But he developed it and now he's a 35% three point shooter. He started shooting threes at 22%. Exactly like Favors.

I just don't agree with letting someone go that's stepping into his prime, but continues to improve steadily every year. He's not asking for max money either. Just seems like it would be a good idea to keep him, especially as a backup Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Raupie View Post
    I agree. I think it is possible to want to keep Favors without being a homer and blind to better options. From podcasts I listen to, I am hearing Favors may only get a mid level exception out on the open market. We can offer him a little more than that and still afford to bring in a stretch 4 type as well. As mentioned, Favors can play center... so should rank as one of the top backup centers in the NBA. He can also play some 4. If he develops a 3 point shot, then maybe he becomes a long term solution. If he doesn't develop a 3... then he still is one of the best center backups in in the NBA and can be an effect 4 when the matchup is right.

So don't close the door but don't offer him alot more money than what others can afford to give him. Could work out really well for us and give him a safe place to continue to build his skills adn try to raise his value. I think a short term contract is in both party's best interests.
    Well if it's true that he's only going to get MLE for the next 3-4 years, that's less than what he's making now. I would be more inclined to give him max money this year, we have plenty of cap room for it, and re-sign him next year for minimum vet level. Then he would get most of his money in 1 year and we would have plenty of cap room for years to come, with a backup center on the best contract in the NBA.

Well if it's true that he's only going to get MLE for the next 3-4 years, that's less than what he's making now. I would be more inclined to give him max money this year, we have plenty of cap room for it, and re-sign him next year for minimum vet level. Then he would get most of his money in 1 year and we would have plenty of cap room for years to come, with a backup center on the best contract in the NBA.
    Not sure if it is true, just what they were saying on the podcasts. The league views him as a center and there are a number of good centers this year that are available. Centers are not valued as much as they were and if he is viewed as a middle of the road center... then it makes sense that there will not be as much money available.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast