Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 61
  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    16,958
    Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    They paid an insanely high expansion fee ($500 million compared to Minny and Columbus paying $80 million) in order to be able to pick former all stars and 30 goal scorers as opposed to nothing but 4th liners previous expansion teams had to choose from.
    It's almost as if the average nhl team is worth 500 million dollars instead of 100 now.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    12,883
    Fact remains that they had a favourable expansion draft.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
    Posts
    15,781
    Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    Fact remains that they had a favourable expansion draft.
    That is part of the reason I hope they lose and I am not afraid to say it. I am a Sabres fan and if it wouldn't mean losing a few good, young guys like Eichel, Risto., Middlestadt, just to name a couple, I wish the Sabres would contract and come back as an expansion team under the rules Vegas got.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    Posts
    23,732
    If Vegas wins the Cup, it would be the greatest feat in team sports history. No expansion team has ever won a Championship in any American sport.
    Nothing Like Working Out

    Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

    uapeople you're gone, but never forgotte, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    16,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    If Vegas wins the Cup, it would be the greatest feat in team sports history. No expansion team has ever won a Championship in any American sport.
    As someone who watches hockey religiously and knew every player when they were chosen in the expansion draft, 100%.

    They play for each other, they are all out effort and drive. They are what every hockey coach wishes their team could be effort wise.

    If they beat Winnipeg and the Eastern team and someone tries to take it away from them, that person just doesn't get it.

    But of course, people will say NATE SCHMIDT AND WILLIAM KARLSSON WERE ALWAYS THESE PLAYERS!
    Anthony Mantha Breakout 16-17



  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    12,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    As someone who watches hockey religiously and knew every player when they were chosen in the expansion draft, 100%.

    They play for each other, they are all out effort and drive. They are what every hockey coach wishes their team could be effort wise.

    If they beat Winnipeg and the Eastern team and someone tries to take it away from them, that person just doesn't get it.

    But of course, people will say NATE SCHMIDT AND WILLIAM KARLSSON WERE ALWAYS THESE PLAYERS!
    Well yeah, people without a clue may say that. Although, Nate Schmidt was pretty solid in Washington for what it’s worth. Obviously in a more limited role. You’re very defensive about this topic for some odd reason. Not one person has said anything of the like. They’ve just pointed out the fact that they had the most favourable expansion draft of anybody ever.
    Last edited by One Nut Kruk; 05-15-2018 at 12:24 PM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    16,958
    Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    Well yeah, people without a clue may say that. Although, Nate Schmidt was pretty solid in Washington for what it’s worth. Obviously in a more limited role. You’re very defensive about this topic for some odd reason. Not one person has said anything of the like. They’ve just pointed out the fact that they had the most favourable expansion draft of anybody ever.
    The forum I talk on mostly is a hockey forum, I've seen a lot of people discrediting the were saying "Let's not get ahead of ourselves here" in December and now some of those same guys say "Vegas winning would be an embarrassment to the league."

    They had a favorable expansion, yes, but don't act like they had this well respected team that transcended rating after it was assembled. Through sheer drive and passion this team willed it's own way to the WCF. GMGM was able to fleece dumb GMs, smart GMs gave them options and said "**** it" - which is what most if not GMs will do to Seattle.

    Their expansion is more favorable than the past because the overall talent level of the league is higher through 4 lines. People don't really carry enforcers anymore, the rules have changed in the league so a player like Jonathan Marchessault, who was undrafted and is 5'9"175 pounds, can be a near PPG player.

    Yea, I get defensive, you were talking about their expansion fee like they paid an extra bonus for good players. Which was just wrong. But also because the idea that Vegas winning would be embarrassing to the sport is ignorant, not only to Vegas' situation, but to what I call the greatest team sport in the world. A game where a bunch of kids and a nothin coach can beat the Russian Army or where Belarus can beat Sweden to go to the Olympic semi's.

    There was just carry over, I thought someone said the same in this thread - about it being embarrassing.
    Last edited by Ezekial; 05-15-2018 at 12:57 PM.
    Anthony Mantha Breakout 16-17



  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    12,883
    I pretty much agree with everything you’re saying.

    Guys like David Perron, James Neal, Marchessault, Reilly Smith, Shea Theodore, etc would have never been had in previous expansion drafts though. It was aging 4th liners at the tail end of their careers. But you’re right, more skill, lack of enforcers, etc helps that.

    To me, it was obvious they got some really solid players. I think it was the “expansion team” stigma that made people non believers (me included). I mean, Even with getting good players, who thinks they are going to gel that smoothly ? I don’t think many saw that coming and that’s a huge credit to Gallant imo.

    As for the expansion fee, I just meant that they wouldn’t have agreed to pay it if not for the favourable draft rules. And rightfully so. Nobody wants to see a team get smoked 60 times. Plus local interest would be next to nothing.

    As for the dumb things you’ve heard people say, yes, they are idiots. Vegas plays a great team game and have deserved everything they’ve worked for. I don’t have a problem with them winning whatsoever.

    Sorry if I sounded like “one of them”. I didn’t mean to come off that way.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Rockford IL
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    As for the expansion fee, I just meant that they wouldn’t have agreed to pay it if not for the favourable draft rules. And rightfully so. Nobody wants to see a team get smoked 60 times. Plus local interest would be next to nothing.
    I disagree. What else is there to do in Las Vegas besides watch hockey?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    16,958
    Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    I pretty much agree with everything you’re saying.

    Guys like David Perron, James Neal, Marchessault, Reilly Smith, Shea Theodore, etc would have never been had in previous expansion drafts though. It was aging 4th liners at the tail end of their careers. But you’re right, more skill, lack of enforcers, etc helps that.

    To me, it was obvious they got some really solid players. I think it was the “expansion team” stigma that made people non believers (me included). I mean, Even with getting good players, who thinks they are going to gel that smoothly ? I don’t think many saw that coming and that’s a huge credit to Gallant imo.

    As for the expansion fee, I just meant that they wouldn’t have agreed to pay it if not for the favourable draft rules. And rightfully so. Nobody wants to see a team get smoked 60 times. Plus local interest would be next to nothing.

    As for the dumb things you’ve heard people say, yes, they are idiots. Vegas plays a great team game and have deserved everything they’ve worked for. I don’t have a problem with them winning whatsoever.

    Sorry if I sounded like “one of them”. I didn’t mean to come off that way.
    You're fine man, I'm just a passionate hockey fan and a naturally defensive person. Glad we agree
    Anthony Mantha Breakout 16-17



  11. #41
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    36,835
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
    I disagree. What else is there to do in Las Vegas besides watch hockey?
    Gambling, hookers, and drugs

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  12. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    If Vegas wins the Cup, it would be the greatest feat in team sports history. No expansion team has ever won a Championship in any American sport.
    I agree. This run is nothing short of amazing!

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    11,418
    Does their success carry over to next year? Or are they just like the 2012 Coyotes?

    Last night's game was great. Fleury was beastly.


    The Lost Boys of PSD

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Rockford IL
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Gambling, hookers, and drugs
    I was thinking more along the lines of gambling and magic shows, but to each his own.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    12,883
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Does their success carry over to next year? Or are they just like the 2012 Coyotes?

    Last night's game was great. Fleury was beastly.
    I think next year will be tougher for them for sure.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •