Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    I'm actually warming to the idea of Stackhouse, the guy is a man's man and respect won't be an issue, he'll just fight you for it

But at the same time I'm thinking Toronto might've axed Casey just to make sure Stackhouse doesn't get away, and the playoff embarrassment was the perfect excuse
    Yeah. I think Stackhouse comes across as a former player that will have a no BS attitude. "I played the game. Suck it up buttercup." Hammon would be an intriguing choice. With Gores and the hollywood/SJW scene - could boost attendance and bring in an additional fan base. Yes, I'm cynical and looking for every edge to boost sales.

Guy in Houston, as mentioned above - certainly would appear to have the learned knowledge of making deals. All else being equal.

I like the other Spurs assistant as well, Ettore Messina...the guy is a Euroleague legend. Filled in for Pop during the playoffs as well. I know a bunch of people were throwing around David Blatt's name, but after him getting punked by the LeCavs I think he might have a hard time gaining respect from a team like the Pistons (aka a lot of egos) with his take no **** attitude.

👑
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    and Syracuse has sucked for years
    Wish my wife's name was Syracuse.

Quote Originally Posted by JWO35 View Post
    I like the other Spurs assistant as well, Ettore Messina...the guy is a Euroleague legend. Filled in for Pop during the playoffs as well. I know a bunch of people were throwing around David Blatt's name, but after him getting punked by the LeCavs I think he might have a hard time gaining respect from a team like the Pistons (aka a lot of egos) with his take no **** attitude.
    I don't know about getting punked by the Cavs. He was in a no win situation - given that IIRC - Love was on a new deal and Bron was pushing salaries for Thompson and/or Smith. Those would be some egos there.

It starts with the starts and Dre' and Blake appear to have the attitude that we're the alpha dogs but overly excessive behavior. If they're cool with it, why not. What we need is a take no BS attitude.

I'm actually warming to the idea of Stackhouse, the guy is a man's man and respect won't be an issue, he'll just fight you for it

But at the same time I'm thinking Toronto might've axed Casey just to make sure Stackhouse doesn't get away, and the playoff embarrassment was the perfect excuse
    Makes sense and I would not complain. I'd prefer Hammon or one of the other Spurs assistants personally but am game for whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by markbutter View Post
    I don't know about getting punked by the Cavs. He was in a no win situation - given that IIRC - Love was on a new deal and Bron was pushing salaries for Thompson and/or Smith. Those would be some egos there.

It starts with the starts and Dre' and Blake appear to have the attitude that we're the alpha dogs but overly excessive behavior. If they're cool with it, why not. What we need is a take no BS attitude.
    The guy got a raw deal for sure... Went to the NBA finals his first year and got fired mid-season the following year while being 1st in the East and being named HC of the East all-star team. LeBron didn't like him so in the Cavs eyes that's a fireable offense.

He's a good coach who could probably succeed in the NBA with a LeBron-less team. Unfortunately I could see our current core of guys turn against him the way the Cavs did if he rubs our "star players" the wrong way. I think we already saw glimpses of it with SVG and Drummond (& Stanley, although he's not a star). But like you said if Blake & Drummond was on board it's worth a roll of the dice. I just want a HC that's going to put the players (and the overall team) in the best position to succeed. IMO SVG was trying to fit round pegs into square holes with a lot of our guys.

👑

The guy got a raw deal for sure... Went to the NBA finals his first year and got fired mid-season the following year while being 1st in the East and being named HC of the East all-star team. LeBron didn't like him so in the Cavs eyes that's a fireable offense.

He's a good coach who could probably succeed in the NBA with a LeBron-less team. Unfortunately I could see our current core of guys turn against him the way the Cavs did if he rubs our "star players" the wrong way. I think we already saw glimpses of it with SVG and Drummond (& Stanley, although he's not a star). But like you said if Blake & Drummond was on board it's worth a roll of the dice. I just want a HC that's going to put the players (and the overall team) in the best position to succeed. IMO SVG was trying to fit round pegs into square holes with a lot of our guys.
    Don't disagree. I think SVGs problem was he wore his emotions on his shirtsleeve. A turnover or missed pass SVG looked like he was either going to cry or have a stroke. You can factor your displeasure a number of different ways. Pop has a glare or merely turns around and sits emphatically on the bench. Guys begin to look over their shoulder every time they may make a mistake. Physical mistakes happen, but even the mental errors SVG appeared to melt down too much. It's one thing to instill discipline, but another to rant and rave - though it did appear last year he was letting more roll off his back.

As for Blatt and interactions with Dre' & Blake - Gores is smart enough to ping this off them and maybe even set up a meet-n-greet. Reggie's health prevents an all the time up tempo scheme and with Blake's ability to get a shot, our best bet is going to be a half court set most of the time.

We've the the mid-level exception that is 7M and Boban's trade exception at 7M -though they can't be used together. There may be an opportunity to bolster the bench - Tolliver made 3.2M, Belinelli 500K though I think he was bought out earlier and got that from Philly, Ilyasova got 6M. Or opening up for a trade with the exception. The new GM is hooked to this team unless something very creative occurs, but there is some wiggle room. And given who might be coach, maybe someone comes aboard because of that.

What a twist!

👑

plus he's from Detroit!

even though he spurned Michigan for Duke

Sign him. Would like to see him in only 1 role and an experienced guy in the other role.

Something has to happen soon, one would think.

Sadly the Piston's coaching/front office carousal every few years is becoming like the Lions off seasons of years past, the only thing to look forward too.

I love Battier. One of the smartest guys in the league. It still shocks me that Chauncey hasnít even gotten an interview, though
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gronis10 View Post
    I love Battier. One of the smartest guys in the league. It still shocks me that Chauncey hasnít even gotten an interview, though
    If they are interviewing by hiearchy, the Pres, GM - coach would be in that order I think. So the Pres gets to do the GM & Coaching interviews.

IMHO.

An underrated benefit to hiring Battier I personally like would be him more than likely overhauling our scouting department....I'm not sure how much truth is to this, but I remember hearing on 971 that SVG still had a lot of "Dumars holdovers" in the scouting department, which would explain a lot of our blunders as it relates to drafting and free agency.

The only negative thing I can think of Battier is his lack of experience as a GM/Pres....but the guy has been part of the Heat organization since he retired in '14. You gotta start somewhere and where's a better place than your hometown

👑

Says we hired Stafanski from Memphis to be Pres of Ops - or equivalent.

Looking at Casey as coach (Stafanski hired him in Tor in 2011 or so) with a possibility Tayshaun Prince coming to Det in some role. Not overwhelmed with this so far.

Not real excited to have Casey, but we'll see.

pls no Casey...I don't like hiring re-treads damnit.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast