Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Marlins at Cubs IGT: Just. ****ing. Win. Edition

The thread title says it all.

I値l fix it up later when I知 out of work.

Discuss.

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

I think BDawk said it right in the previous thread...just a crappy baseball team right now.

They should be better than this.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    The thread title says it all.

I値l fix it up later when I知 out of work.

Discuss.
    I say you don't clean it up. Nobody give them a nice, pretty IGT until they deserve it. Sons of *****es.

at what point do they think about sending Happ down. i know last week on bleacher nation they said that hasn't been thought about yet but maybe so time down the farm would do him some good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaisdaddy View Post
    at what point do they think about sending Happ down. i know last week on bleacher nation they said that hasn't been thought about yet but maybe so time down the farm would do him some good.
    So I took a look on FanGraphs, with a minimum of 50 PAs, Ian Happ has the lowest contact rate in the entire MLB at 54.7%. That's putrid.

Sure he had two walks last night but he is simply struggling to make any contact when he swings.

A week ago when the team was in 1st and clicking, I could understand him working it out in the majors. Now though, I think he needs to go down. He's a liability.

Bring up Gimenez to stabilize Darvish.

Who would've thought that almost 20% of the way into the season that Javier Baez would be leading the Cubs in WAR? His defense has been puzzingly shaky so far but there's no denying how he's swinging the bat.

Some interesting numbers...

Rizzo = -0.4 WAR
    Heyward, = 83 wRC+, he's back being a below average hitter and his defense has not been up to its usual standard. He needs to start playing less.
    Schwarber = 149 wRC+, he's been a bright spot

Quote Originally Posted by Jaisdaddy View Post
    Those who actually make these decisions are thinking about it. They池e too smart not to be. Then you factor in that Bote and Zagunis are playing pretty decent and both fit the need of an extra right handed bat off the bench. Don稚 listen to Joe, he値l say whatever he thinks will keep the camera and microphones focused on him.

Heyward sucks at hitting and fielding now. What a time to be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    So I took a look on FanGraphs, with a minimum of 50 PAs, Ian Happ has the lowest contact rate in the entire MLB at 54.7%. That's putrid.

Sure he had two walks last night but he is simply struggling to make any contact when he swings.

A week ago when the team was in 1st and clicking, I could understand him working it out in the majors. Now though, I think he needs to go down. He's a liability.

Bring up Gimenez to stabilize Darvish.
    Agreed. get them both fixed now before they get late in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCantWeWin View Post
    Heyward sucks at hitting and fielding now. What a time to be alive.
    that was a fluke play last night. and he's been hitting the ball hard pretty much all year. he hasn't been striking out like Happ has. interesting the comment that A-Rod made last night about Heyward twisting his hands before he swings.

Quote Originally Posted by Seyton View Post
    I say you don't clean it up. Nobody give them a nice, pretty IGT until they deserve it. Sons of *****es.
    I知 perfectly fine with this as well.

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

I've been saying this for 2 years now, but our offense is fundamentally broken. We're hitting .168 in high leverage situations and leading the league in soft contact rate. Our hitters are simply more talented than that.

I truly believe that the "launch angle/exit velocity/slugging above all else" mentality is keeping this team from sustained greatness.

Bryant, Rizzo, Contreras, Baez, Russell, and Happ all have well-above average offensive skills for their respective positions. Yet the ability doesn't consistently translate because of the approach at the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownPacerFan View Post
    I've been saying this for 2 years now, but our offense is fundamentally broken. We're hitting .168 in high leverage situations and leading the league in soft contact rate. Our hitters are simply more talented than that.

I truly believe that the "launch angle/exit velocity/slugging above all else" mentality is keeping this team from sustained greatness.

Bryant, Rizzo, Contreras, Baez, Russell, and Happ all have well-above average offensive skills for their respective positions. Yet the ability doesn't consistently translate because of the approach at the plate.
    The Cubs had the 6th worst soft contact rate in 2016 and the 3rd most runs scored in all of baseball.

They had the Cubs had the 19th worst soft contact rate in 2017 and the 4th most runs scored in all of baseball.

They have the worst soft contact rate in 2018 and the 7th best runs per game. The Yankees have the 10th worst soft contact rate in 2018 and lead MLB in runs/game.

I don't think this correlates very well.

They are in a really crappy stretch right now. The offense has been brutal since that start of the Brewers series. They have a much softer part of the schedule coming up. Hopefully they get right.

Hard contact is better than soft contact, yes. But, I wouldn't be too nervous about team soft contact data at this point in the season. It's just a slump.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    The Cubs had the 6th worst soft contact rate in 2016 and the 3rd most runs scored in all of baseball.

They had the Cubs had the 19th worst soft contact rate in 2017 and the 4th most runs scored in all of baseball.

They have the worst soft contact rate in 2018 and the 7th best runs per game. The Yankees have the 10th worst soft contact rate in 2018 and lead MLB in runs/game.

I don't think this correlates very well.

They are in a really crappy stretch right now. The offense has been brutal since that start of the Brewers series. They have a much softer part of the schedule coming up. Hopefully they get right.

Hard contact is better than soft contact, yes. But, I wouldn't be too nervous about team soft contact data at this point in the season. It's just a slump.
    Good data, but I think "slump" is underselling the problem. This team "slumps" way too often. We go through stretches every year where we simply can't hit the ball. That's why I say it's more fundamental problem than aberration.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownPacerFan View Post
    We go through stretches every year where we simply can't hit the ball.
    I don't believe the Cubs are more guilty of this than most good teams.

Most fans will tell you their team is inconsistent.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast