Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Did anyone catch Casey before game 4 saying, and I quote: this is our last game. We have to play for pride.

This guy said it was our last game before we even played game 4.

Quote Originally Posted by TO Rapz:32339272
    Did anyone catch Casey before game 4 saying, and I quote: this is our last game. We have to play for pride.

This guy said it was our last game before we even played game 4.
    Yeah I caught that as well. He likely didn't mean it that way but it sounded funny.
    ďItís about winning,Ē Stoudemire said. ďYou win, youíre going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won ó Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you donít win, nobody really wants to see you.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Or another comparison would be the MU Nuggets. A 60 win team that the whole world knew couldn't win in the playoffs. He drafts well and builds teams around really good players and depth. Those types of teams win lots in the regular season, but don't have the stars to win in the playoffs.

He could have supported them in other ways. He's playing us for fools. (I don't think I would fire him, because this is a roster construction problem, not a coaching problem. No other coach can take this team further, save for maybe the two or three really elite guys). I just think it was a really poor choice of words that I found insulting more than anything. It also says that we have taken major steps backwards since the 2016 ECF when we beat Cleveland twice, which again, I don't agree with. This year's squad is better than them.
    It says that? What do you mean by "It"? You have also accepted that the Cavs are a decidedly worse product than they were then right?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    Yeah I caught that as well. He likely didn't mean it that way but it sounded funny.
    Same

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

I give credit to Casey for finally playing young guys the last couple years and his attempt this season to start a more ball movement oriented system. Didnít think that would happen but it also appeared in both cases it was almost forced on him by MU. Iím not sure Casey believes in that direction and that could be partly why the Raps would slip into iso ball so easily at times. If MU wants the team to head in the direction of ball movement and developing draft picks as they come in a coach who is more in sync with that process could have a big impact. Itís also time for MU to stop working with whatís there and commit to what he wants the team to be. Heís sat on the fence too long

Quote Originally Posted by Bramaca View Post
    I give credit to Casey for finally playing young guys the last couple years and his attempt this season to start a more ball movement oriented system. Didnít think that would happen but it also appeared in both cases it was almost forced on him by MU. Iím not sure Casey believes in that direction and that could be partly why the Raps would slip into iso ball so easily at times. If MU wants the team to head in the direction of ball movement and developing draft picks as they come in a coach who is more in sync with that process could have a big impact. Itís also time for MU to stop working with whatís there and commit to what he wants the team to be. Heís sat on the fence too long
    i agree with this. i said last year that the longer he stays with this group, the more it becomes "his". MU has gotten a pass for Casey not being "his guy", but I don't think he can get that pass anymore if Casey stays and we continue to **** the bed in the playoffs.

Masai has had an unique tenure here. We have yet to see his team on the floor. Had Dolan accepted the Lowry trade, this team would have been completely different.
    ďItís about winning,Ē Stoudemire said. ďYou win, youíre going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won ó Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you donít win, nobody really wants to see you.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    I think Lowry is pretty crafty ... the real issue is consistency in post season performance
    I think he's a try hard guy that's makes the most of his ability. In the playoffs it get exposed even more. He tends to do well vs. the Cavs in the playoffs of all teams, vs. most other teams his stats plummet. This year he did better I guess vs. the Wiz. In terms of craftiness, he's crafty in drawing fouls in the regular season and using that to set up the defender. The whistle is different in the post season and you can't always get away and rely on that strategy. Wade and Manu are good examples of craft. Wade at like 35 almost took us out a few years back. Both him and Manu just know how to set up defenders with the way they attack and put pressure on defenses, that's why even as geezers these guys have their playoff moments. Chauncey was a good example of a crafty guy that could close out games. He wasn't a dominant scorer but knew how to pick spots, read the defense and had ice in his veins. With an elite defense, having a guy who plays like Chauncey would be nice.

Having superstars is the easiest path to a chip, if not there are other ways to skin a cat, but you need elite defense and a closer (and or really crafty guy). To me a super star is like a top 5 player though, guy like RW are iffy to me, these are perennial all nba 1st team types. What the Hawks lacked was a closer and crafty guy, or they could've been closer to the Spurs. When the Nuggets had Chauncey with Melo they were at their best and almost made the finals. With George Karl's run and gun teams they were 1st round fodder.

I personally think Lowry and Derozan have predictable games, making them easier to defend in the post-season when teams key in. RW, Giannis and Simmons have predictable games too IMO, but they can have some moments where they just out physical you, but in the long term you can still game plan vs. them easier, because they're offense are predictable in the post-season. Giannis' numbers are real nice in the post-season, so i don't know about my theory there, but I think he'll get keyed in more later in the post-season. His length/athleticism is hard to defend, but the Raps don't have those physical attributes.
    Last edited by Heediot; 05-11-2018 at 03:16 AM.

Masai has had an unique tenure here. We have yet to see his team on the floor. Had Dolan accepted the Lowry trade, this team would have been completely different.
    Once you resign players and coaches that you inherited, their imprint on the team reflects your decisions. I don't agree with the concept that Casey, DeRozan, JV and Lowry aren't Masai's... It has been far too long and he has chosen to bring them back.

I guess it's time to close this thread since he got fired? Unless a mod wants to retitle it something with coaching candidate speculation or discussions? I still stand by my preference for Becky Hammon.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Hey ink, long time! Good to see you posting again..

The hawks comparison is dead on. 60 win team in the reg season and a 2nd round exit vs true contenders every year. That was their ceiling to me it wouldnít matter if they fired their coach and hired a new one, which is exactly the same situation the raptors find them selves in.

It is likely that MU will try to replace Casey for the sake of change because it will be very hard to change the roster much.
    Hey S&W! All best to you, man!

The NBA reaction is telling.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...caseys-firing/
    Last edited by ink; 05-12-2018 at 02:40 AM.

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Once you resign players and coaches that you inherited, their imprint on the team reflects your decisions. I don't agree with the concept that Casey, DeRozan, JV and Lowry aren't Masai's... It has been far too long and he has chosen to bring them back.
    Yes, I agree. MU and the players, the whole organization, owns these playoff defeats to Lebron.

On my twitter post above someone says the Casey firing is an insult to Lebron. I agree in many ways with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    It says that? What do you mean by "It"? You have also accepted that the Cavs are a decidedly worse product than they were then right?

Okay, so if the Cavs are a worse team now than they were when we beat them twice in the ECF, then in theory, we are much worse if we can't even beat them once now, no?

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Okay, so if the Cavs are a worse team now than they were when we beat them twice in the ECF, then in theory, we are much worse if we can't even beat them once now, no?
    Well, no. This sweep was a better series for us than the one where we won 2 games. We got ****ing annihilated 4 times in that series. The Cavs did not take us seriously in that series. We were expected to be a speed bump for them so nobody talked about it which is why this year's series is rightfully dissected even more. They had to work considerably harder this time.

I don't know if you will agree with me on this but game 4 in a 3-0 series, I don't have the numbers in front of me here but historically these are almost guaranteed losses. And on the road? After having your season taken on a ridiculous buzzer beater? I'm not holding a coach accountable for that, that's human nature.

And if you look at the other 3 games, 2 of 3 were within reach in the final minute. Factor in that this is all-time amazing LeBron we are seeing right now.... if you don't think that is much closer than we were in the past to getting past LeBron than I think you are misremembering how those games went.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast