Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'll preface this post by saying I'm a long time Cubs fan. Because of that, I'd say it's conservative to say at the very least, 90% of the games I've seen don't include a DH (that's probably well low of the actual number, but I'm being conservative). I enjoy the added level of strategy, and always have.

With that said, it's time for the NL to adopt the DH. It's silly that half of the league plays with a different rule. Pitchers simply don't put forth the time to become competent hitters at the MLB level, and considering how they effect the game, it's not the wrong thing to do. As much fun as it is to see Travis Wood hit a bomb in the NLDS...it's much less fun to watch Jose Quintana go up to hit for the first time as a Chicago Cub with his stupid elbow guard upside down or to watch Kyle Hendricks awkwardly flail at pitches. Even the "good" hitting pitchers are sucky hitters (Madison Bumgarner has a career wOBA of .244. That makes him a sucktastic hitter. When the "best" is sucktastic comparative to his peers, that's a bad thing). It's not fun to watch, it's becoming increasingly dangerous for pitchers to get into the box against MLB pitching only to look like fools, and the leagues need to fix the disparity. So, the NL might as well just adopt the DH and go on from there. There will always be a few things I'll miss, but overall, it'll be better for the sport. So, lets rip the band aid off and go from there.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    nothing comes remotely close to the 300 OPS pitchers hit so this makes no sense
    I don't know, man, there are a lot of really ****** hitting catchers, second basemen, and shortstops. The current worst qualified DH is hitting .200/.287/.316, there are 4 2Bs and 2 SSs doing worse.

Quote Originally Posted by otatop View Post
    I don't know, man, there are a lot of really ****** hitting catchers, second basemen, and shortstops. The current worst qualified DH is hitting .200/.287/.316, there are 4 2Bs and 2 SSs doing worse.
    There's 40+ pitchers, compared to maybe 5 in each of those position groups, and even in those positions there are some well above average bats. They're not really comparable IMO.

Catchers are the worst position group and they are batting 298 wOBA. Pitchers are posting a 154. It's just a waste of time throwing them out there.
    Last edited by WOwolfOL; 05-08-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    This guy has started this exact thread before....amongst his other terrible threads.
    Seems to have sparked a lively debate....even if this debate has been had before.

Instead of negative comments that just take up space in a thread, try contributing to the conversation. Comments like yours just add to the idea that PSD is this exclusive club. The more members in the community, the better.

Anyway, I think one side to this that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet is that the players would like it too. It would open up more opportunities for hitters to get on a team, especially considering the slow offseason for free agents. I think it is more entertaining to see a guy like Nelson Cruz DH rather than see Kershaw hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    I'm on the fence. I don't really care either way. I used to be dead set against it and hated it, but I'm fine with it at this point. ...
    Was the same until i realized that because NL pitchers donít bat below AA and only bat if their team plays another NL team in AA and AAA they actually get very very few ABs in the minors whereas the other players in the lineup probably had 1000-2000 PLATE Appearances before getting into a MLB game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Yeah is a antiquated thing.

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan555 View Post
    Seems to have sparked a lively debate....even if this debate has been had before.

Instead of negative comments that just take up space in a thread, try contributing to the conversation. Comments like yours just add to the idea that PSD is this exclusive club. The more members in the community, the better.

Anyway, I think one side to this that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet is that the players would like it too. It would open up more opportunities for hitters to get on a team, especially considering the slow offseason for free agents. I think it is more entertaining to see a guy like Nelson Cruz DH rather than see Kershaw hit.
    Yeah, what a lively debate we have going on here.

And more doesnít always equal better.

Having pitchers hit is akin to assault which is akin to beating up women. For the love of God, just get rid of it already.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Well, it has to be injurious to their self esteem that's for sure

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Having pitchers hit is akin to assault which is akin to beating up women. For the love of God, just get rid of it already.
    Get rid of baseball? I agree. Too violent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Absolutely. 'Tis a vile and heinous embarrassment of a sport.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123