Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Matt Ryan first player to $30 million AAV, signs 5 year extension w/$100M guaranteed

For Ryan, that's a ton of cash for anyone, and I am not sure if he can live up to it.

It will be interesting to see what the Packers have to give to Rodgers now.

Quarterback Matt Ryan has agreed to a five-year contract extension with the Atlanta Falcons, and sources tell ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the deal will make Ryan the first NFL player to earn $30 million per year.

The deal includes $100 million guaranteed, sources said.

Minnesota's Kirk Cousins set the previous record for average annual salary ($28 million), followed by San Francisco's Jimmy Garoppolo ($27.5 million) and Detroit's Matthew Stafford ($27 million).

Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said signing Ryan to an extension was the team's top offseason priority. Owner Arthur Blank told ESPN that Ryan would be "compensated well'' after being named NFL MVP and helping the Falcons to the Super Bowl during the 2016 season.

"Matt is getting what he has earned and we all know the marketplace for a great quarterback," Blank said Thursday. "League revenues are up, club revenues, new stadiums and the players are the heart of the game. They're the ones on the field and they certainly deserve their fair share."

Ryan, the No. 3 pick in the 2008 draft out of Boston College, hasn't missed a start since December 2009.

He owns 20 franchise records and has thrown for more than 4,000 yards in each of the past seven seasons. He reached 40,000 career passing yards in an NFL-record 151 games and holds the league mark with a 64-game streak of 200-plus passing yards.

Ryan has completed 3,630 of 5,593 passes (64.9 percent) for 41,796 yards with 260 touchdowns, 126 interceptions, and a passer rating of 93.4 through 158 career games in 10 seasons. His regular-season record is 95-63. Ryan is 4-6 in the playoffs, with two NFC Championship Games and one Super Bowl appearance.

Blank said that Ryan has been "the model face of the franchise, a great leader and he has embraced our values. He has led us on and off the field."

Not all teams are so lucky.

"You always hope that when you use a high first round draft pick on a quarterback you hope he becomes the next Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Dan Marino but about 50 percent of the quarterbacks taken high don't pan out," Blank said.

Right tackle Ryan Schrader called Ryan "the best in the league."

"I've looked up to him my whole career," he said. "I envy the player, leader, and warrior he is. He will be here to lead us to a Super Bowl victory in the future, no doubt in my mind.''

Blank said that the Falcons selected Alabama wide receiver Calvin Ridley because "when you have a guy like Matt, you want to build around him."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...g-30m-per-year

I would expect it to be short lived as ARod is up next. I got no problem with these guys getting paid as its proven, outside of the exception of a few, that your team is only as good as your QB. It does force these teams to have to hit on their draft picks otherwise you could end up struggling when you can't pay some of your other good players.

Salaries get too high then the talent around them has to suffer.It is very difficult to find a good NFL QB so the money demands have to be met but there is the salary cap to be mindful of.

Just means you need to hit on draft choices then cycle through most of them after 3 to 5 years. Lather, rinse, repeat.

This seems like a bad move before seeing the specifics. Ryan's never successfully carried a less than stellar offense and dumping this much money almost guarantees he'll be asked to within a couple years. They could very well see a repeat of 2012-2015 if they can't afford to keep that offense strong.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

Mike Greenberg is bringing up on "Get Up!" that the NFL should seek a system where the QB is paid outside the cap.

I'm not on that. I think teams that have strong FO's are the ones that have highly paid QB's and manage to be competitive to boot. Also the cap is more than high enough, and Peter King put it well. Matt Ryan got $30mil, but because of the cap they've got $140+ mil for everyone else, which is higher than what the cap was 6 years ago.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Mike Greenberg is bringing up on "Get Up!" that the NFL should seek a system where the QB is paid outside the cap.

I'm not on that. I think teams that have strong FO's are the ones that have highly paid QB's and manage to be competitive to boot. Also the cap is more than high enough, and Peter King put it well. Matt Ryan got $30mil, but because of the cap they've got $140+ mil for everyone else, which is higher than what the cap was 6 years ago.
    Yeah, as long as the QB salary stays within a given percentage of the cap, it shouldn't be a problem.

The only problem is likely teams relying on the cap rising every year which might come to end given the NFL's problem with ratings. It's pretty much a tradition now that the latest upcoming good free agent at any position sets the new record for salary at the position.

Not counting the QB's salary against the cap only gives a huge advantage to teams with a top QB. I get that there are some people who want to have the same teams be good every year, but I'm against that. Having a franchise QB is an advantage enough as it currently stands. There are a couple of teams now who have the QB rookie wage scale to thank for winning the franchise's first Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Yeah, as long as the QB salary stays within a given percentage of the cap, it shouldn't be a problem.

The only problem is likely teams relying on the cap rising every year which might come to end given the NFL's problem with ratings. It's pretty much a tradition now that the latest upcoming good free agent at any position sets the new record for salary at the position.

Not counting the QB's salary against the cap only gives a huge advantage to teams with a top QB. I get that there are some people who want to have the same teams be good every year, but I'm against that. Having a franchise QB is an advantage enough as it currently stands. There are a couple of teams now who have the QB rookie wage scale to thank for winning the franchise's first Super Bowl.
    Agreed with all points except the cap not continuing to rise. It will, especially if the NFL finds a way to collect 2.5% on legal sports bets and the next CBA puts that money into the cap.

Thereís an estimate of $95 billion a year bet on football, $93 billion is illegal.

Breaking that down if they only collect 2.5% on $2 million thatís another $50mil a year. Letís say the players get 50% of that, it increases the cap almost $1mil. Now I know that doesnít sound like a lot, but as betting goes up so does the cap.

If they can find a way to turn even another 25% of that illegal betting into legal betting. Thatís another $23billion for the NFL to tap into. Another $58 million to the NFL.

If they can find a way to get 50% of bets on football legal, thatís $2.375 billion for the NFL. Thatís a potential $33 million increase to the cap.

I know that gets optimistic to the end. But it goes to show the impact that them making money off of sports betting can have.

PROCESSING

Oh yeah, I forget that sports gambling might become legal.

But there will probably be some time in the future that the NFL has expended all revenue sources.

Either way, I believe the next CBA will change the way the salary cap is calculated because right now it's really skewed towards the owners.

Agreed on all counts there. But I think weíre quite a ways off from tapping out all resources for revenue for the league.

PROCESSING

Aaron Rodgers loves it

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Your baby can't do this

NFL needs to raise the salary cap by a bunch if these contracts keep climbing. NFL players deserve a **** ton of money but itís hard when you gotta pay 53 guys on each roster.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    NFL needs to raise the salary cap by a bunch if these contracts keep climbing. NFL players deserve a **** ton of money but itís hard when you gotta pay 53 guys on each roster.
    It's actually the other way. The contracts keep climbing because the cap is going up.

PROCESSING

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post
    Aaron Rodgers loves it

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    The Falcons are a damn joke...pay a guy $30mil to lose a SB with a 28-3 lead and to let Philly win their first ever SB on your watch. I hate Atl Falcons.

Aaron Rodgers would've won both those games. He deserves it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing56&33 View Post
    The Falcons are a damn joke...pay a guy $30mil to lose a SB with a 28-3 lead and to let Philly win their first ever SB on your watch. I hate Atl Falcons.

Aaron Rodgers would've won both those games. He deserves it more.
    And if he wants it, he will get more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast