Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Well we didn't lose today. That's always good.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Sandy says he's "bullish" about Cespedes. Fire this clown.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    And today... Cespedes on the 10 day DL.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    Maybe he thinks that means full of bull ****.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Well we didn't lose today. That's always good.
    Unfortunately, we were back in form today.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I'd Rather Watch This Than The N.Y. Mets

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotte, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

Quote Originally Posted by strebe View Post
    Harvey is with the reds now.
    ... And.....

The Mets will never get any better until the Wilpons sell the team. We may get lucky once in a while like we did a few years ago but there will never be any sustained success under the Wilpons.

There are two kinds of owners in sports…One is committed to win, another is happy to be profitable. The Wilpons are happy to be profitable. No matter how bad the team is, they make a profit. Sure, they make more of a profit when the win, but even if we finish last, they make a profit. As long as they make a profit, there is no incentive to sell this team. If the team loses money from baseball operations (and they probably don't) they make it on the other end as the team's value increases. Just being a NY team would make the value go up every year. It would be very difficult for the Mets not to show some form of an acceptable profit while operating in NYC.

Ask anyone who owns real estate…you never sell it unless you have to. If you can sit on the property, pay its expenses and live off the income from rent and value growth, you do. If you get to a point where you need the money, you sell. Not before. Real estate almost always goes up in value. So do sports teams.

I know nothing about the Wilpons. But if I had to guess, a bunch number crunchers sit down sometime late in the year, figure out what they have to do to make a profit and then fit that mold. Income from TV is guaranteed. With the population of the area, 2 million+ in attendance is guaranteed. Cost of travel is a known, cost of concessions is a known. Now make it work.

This is where you get Agon and Jose for minimum wage. They don't care about them or what they can contribute, they just care about two roster places making minimum wage. They already shelled out for Cespedes and Bruce (not sure why Bruce) they're not going to do it for too many others.

For the Wilpons, it's not all that important that they win. Doesn't mean that they don't want to, just means that it is not all that important to them.

I completely agree with everything you just wrote. But ultimately what you're describing is ownership deciding that they want X amount of profit and they go through various permutations that would allow them to hit that number. And they create a budget accordingly.

I think we know the Wilpons will not go above and beyond. Now I can't stand them, but let's be honest here. They spend around $150m per year. A pretty paltry number relative to the NY market they profit from - but hardly a bottom 5 payroll. The Mets sit in the top 15. They should sit in the top 5-8, but we know they aren't doing that.

So the real problem I have - the one that is plaguing this team much more than the Wilpons at this point - is how Alderson has chosen to spend those dollars.

He clearly is of the belief that it is better to take $15-20 million a year and use it throw as much **** against the wall as possible to see what sticks, rather than spend on 1 or 2 high quality FAs that can make a predictably high impact without wishful thinking as a strategy.

Why does he do this? Well part of me believes, after watching him for 8 years now, that he's just a pretty bad GM who makes terrible roster decisions. But he also does this because he knows the minor league system he has created himself is pretty devoid of talent to supplement the major league team. So he tries to plug several holes that he himself created with questionable FA talent, while passing on higher end FAs who can only plug 1 or 2 major needs.

The Wilpons plus Alderson are a disastrous combination for this organization. The Wilpons, for all the reasons you outlined, are not going anywhere. But we should have a better GM to handle this organization.

Yup, I said as much before about Sandy.

He has gotten plenty of money to spend, but he just has not spend it well.

That’s why all these nonsense of he being completely hamstrung financially by the Wilpons is silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Yup, I said as much before about Sandy.

He has gotten plenty of money to spend, but he just has not spend it well.

That’s why all these nonsense of he being completely hamstrung financially by the Wilpons is silly.

He hasn't spent his money well. That's obvious. But I think you're underestimating the degree to which he's been limited. There were rumors last winter that he really never knows how much money he has going into a given offseason. That proved itself true this year, as the Mets publicly stated they intended to cut $20 million from the payroll, and wound up nearly spending as much this year as last (150 vs 154 last year). And some of that money didn't get freed up until after the Yanks traded for Stanton, sending Fred Wilpon into conniptions.

It's not just that our owners are cheap, it's that they're morons. They fly by the seat of their pants and Sandy can't properly plan because he never knows how much he has to work with.

Which is fine. I never expected Sandy to be a FA whiz. I wanted him to be a franchise builder, and he failed that, the far more important part of the job. That's 100% on him.

I don't know how much is true about what Sandy knows or doesn't know about his actual budget. I do know the players he spends money on are generally not looked at as money well spent.

And of course the bigger issue is the farm system. That was really supposed to be what he came here to build up. Yeah, that didn't work out. So I see very little for the guy to hang his hat on as GM here.

So he has failed in building the minors and been mediocre at best in signing guys with the money he has been given.

That does not add up to a good GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    So he has failed in building the minors and been mediocre at best in signing guys with the money he has been given.

That does not add up to a good GM.

But but he's only been here 8 years! The Wilpons! There's talent in the low minors! We can't judge his draft picks yet!

We've been calling this for about 5 years now, even with the World Series run mixed in. His moves don't make much sense when they're made, and most look even worse in hindsight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Piazza View Post
    But I have to say that my time with the Mets wouldn't have been the same without the greatest fans in the world. One of the hardest moments of my career, was walking off the field at Shea Stadium and saying goodbye. My relationship with you made my time in New York the happiest of my career and for that, I will always be grateful.

We have absolutely no minor league talent. The Vegas 51s are way under .500 and Binghamton is 2 games over. This team is trotting out old former stars and AAAA talent players nightly. There is no depth and that’s Sandy’s fault.

Yup Sandy sucks balls and the proof is in the pudding.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast