Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Post New coach candidates

Celtics assistant coach Jay Larranaga acknowledged Thursday that he interviewed with the Knicks for their coaching vacancy last week.

Larranaga, who is Brad Stevens’ lead assistant, said the interview with the Knicks took place in Milwaukee between Games 3 and 4 of the Celtics’ first-round series with the Bucks.

“They’re in the middle of their process. We’re in the middle of our process,” Larranaga told reporters at the morning shootaround in Milwaukee before Thursday night’s Game 6. “I appreciated them coming out here. Obviously, all my focus is on the Milwaukee Bucks.”

The Knicks’ process has included interviews with at least eight candidates. Team president Steve Mills and general manager Scott Perry are in Europe, where they met with former Cavaliers coach David Blatt on Thursday, a league source said. After they return to the United States, they’re scheduled to sit down with a ninth candidate this weekend — Spurs assistant coach James Borrego.

But a former Spurs assistant, Mike Budenholzer, might be the most attractive candidate, especially after he and the Hawks mutually parted ways Wednesday night

Because Budenholzer is a free agent, the Knicks, or any team that hires the 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year, wouldn’t have to give up any compensation for him. A source labeled Budenholzer “a strong candidate” to become Jeff Hornacek’s replacement.

Jerry Stackhouse, David Fizdale and Mark Jackson — three of the first people the Knicks interviewed — are considered serious candidates as well.

The Bucks, Hornets, Magic and Suns also have coaching openings. Budenholzer met with the Suns before interviewing with the Knicks last weekend. He reportedly withdrew his name from consideration for the Suns’ job.
    https://www.newsday.com/sports/baske...aga-1.18272673

I wouldn't mind Bud as the new coach. Or even Blatt.

My order of hire

1. David Fizdale
    2. Tony Bennett
    3. Rick Carlisle (if you could pry him away from Dallas)
    4. Jeff Van Gundy
    5. Jerry Stackhouse

I honestly don't understand people clamoring for Tony Bennett in the NBA. Don't think he would be very good in the NBA. Would take Monty Williams on the list over JVG and Bennett for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    I honestly don't understand people clamoring for Tony Bennett in the NBA. Don't think he would be very good in the NBA. Would take Monty Williams on the list over JVG and Bennett for sure.
    All season long we watched a team underachieve because they didn't play defense. Bennett's teams do.

He has been very successful without having the most talent. In a conference with Duke in North Carolina.

He has helped a few players that were not highly recruited make it to the NBA.

His team's offensive flow is not stagnant.

Utah and Boston both thought outside of the box and look how it's working for them.
    Quinn Snyder and Brad Stevens. Two coaches that had successful college defenses.

Quinn Snyder was more an NBA assistant coach that kind of just went to college. His teams underachieved at Mizzou. Never finished above fifth. Stevens seemed much better fit in NBA to me by a wide margin. TB is a very good college coach. Not sure people going to buy in to what he preaches at NBA level. Who has he helped to NBA that wasn't highly recruited besides Parentes, who likely isn't going to stick? Brogdon was a top-100. That's the best you can say about his offense...it moves the ball, not towards the basket but moves the ball lol.

I like TB and think he's a good college coach. Just don't think NBA is great fit for his coaching style as far as methodical offense and hard-nosed defense. An under-the-radar coach could be Musselman who coached at Nevada and was the former Warriors coach.

Bucks better hurry up. Looks like a few teams already picking coaches. Igor to Suns. Fizdale close to a deal with Knicks. Thunder keeping their coach.

Quote Originally Posted by MILLERHIGHLIFE View Post
    Bucks better hurry up. Looks like a few teams already picking coaches. Igor to Suns. Fizdale close to a deal with Knicks. Thunder keeping their coach.
    No need to hurry up. Bucks can't fu** this up. Also, Bucks have one of the most appealing jobs with a star player and coming off a playoff trip.

Budenholzer would be my #1 choice. He was very good with Atlanta until they basically sold off all their talent. I wouldn't mind a coach like Patino except for the fact he's old.

I don't want Montey Willaims or David Fizdale. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by twellner9 View Post
    Budenholzer would be my #1 choice. He was very good with Atlanta until they basically sold off all their talent. I wouldn't mind a coach like Patino except for the fact he's old.

I don't want Montey Willaims or David Fizdale. No thanks.
    I am not as high on Fizdale either as a lot seem to be. I like Monty. Good dude. Bud I agree got run out because of talent issues not coach issues. I don't think the Bucks hire any of them. Going into new arena, I'd guess a splashy, big-name type guy along the lines of Mark Jackson. Just my opinion.

Windhorst said today in an interview that Milwaukee isn’t as desirable coaching gig as we seem to think. The ownership seems to be an issue, particularly the fact that the “lead” owner switches next offseason. The concern is will the coach have the support of all the owners, or just the current decision maker.

It was exciting to get new owners, but unfortunately it looks like they have made a pretty poor impression on the league as a whole. Which isn’t surprising seeing how they handled the kidd hiring and the Gm search last year.

I don’t think it’s viewed as a bad job, but I think the assumption was that we have the best opening and should be everyone’s first choice. I think the interview seemed to think that it may not be a slam dunk. We should still get a good coach, but we may not be everyone’s first choice.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 05-03-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Windhorst said today in an interview that Milwaukee isn’t as desirable coaching gig as we seem to think. The ownership seems to be an issue, particularly the fact that the “lead” owner switches next offseason. The concern is will the coach have the support of all the owners, or just the current decision maker.

It was exciting to get new owners, but unfortunately it looks like they have made a pretty poor impression on the league as a whole. Which isn’t surprising seeing how they handled the kidd hiring and the Gm search last year.

I don’t think it’s viewed as a bad job, but I think the assumption was that we have the best opening and should be everyone’s first choice. I think the interview seemed to think that it may not be a slam dunk. We should still get a good coach, but we may not be everyone’s first choice.
    I still think we get pretty much whomever we want. No other team is going to give their coach a real chance to win. I mean the Knicks job...pretty much dead man walking going through that door.

For nba guys, I would agree. I’m not sure if we’re considering NCAA guys, but pulling a dude from a stable situation into the nba may be trickier than anticipated. There’s a definite concern over potentially also being a dead man walking too with the impending lead owner change.

I get you there. But I think the only chance you really have to lure college coaches away now is to take them from a mid-major anyways. At the big programs they get paid just as much as in the NBA and have so much more job security, there's really no reason for them to leave.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast