Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Per Benjamin Allbright, no team had Rosen as their top QB. Two teams had Allen (Buffalo and Arizona). The rest had either Darnold or Mayfield.
    I'm surprised nobody had Rosen rated #1 since he's the best pure passer and has the best mechanics in this draft.

To me, Darnold and Rosen were 1A and 1B. I prefer Rosen, but it's a toss up. I have Mayfield next. Mayfield is interesting though. If he ends up being the best QB and ends up being great, it will forever change the way QB prospects are analyzed. But as it stands now, I can't go against history and history shows that shorter QB's have a lower chance of being successful, save for a few exceptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    ďItís like the biggest gift [the Jets] have ever received,Ē an exec said. ďThey may have played this thing perfectly. I almost wondered if they leaked that they liked Mayfield, which forced Cleveland to take Mayfield at 1 as opposed to getting him at 4. I do not know if that was the case, but if it was, that was masterful by them.Ē
    Might be true, but then again, if Mayfield was the Browns' favorite QB in the draft, they absolutely made the right decision in taking him 1st overall. Makes no sense to settle for the 2nd or 3rd QB on your board.

Who were they supposed to take at #1 instead? They clearly liked Ward better than Chubb, and if he turns into a great player he'll have a lot more impact than Barkley would have made on the Browns. They also picked Nick Chubb in the 2nd. 1st round RB and 2nd round CB, or 1st round CB and 2nd round RB? It's a no-brainer to me, especially in a stacked RB class.

Heís no more likely to bust than any other QB taken. It has historically always been a highly volatile position to draft. Those who point to completion percentage or record in college as reasons he is more likely to bust or a lesser prospect than the other top QBs coming out are oversimplifying a very complex evaluation process.
    If Allen outperformed his college efficiency his first 4 years in the pros, that would be a truly remarkable and rare development. You can't refer to other team's high evaluation of Allen and then ignore the majority opinion of him as a low ceiling, high upside pick. Some traits certainly make it more likely that a QB becomes a bust. I hope for the Bills that it doesn't happen, but denying it is naive.

Regarding Wentz, for example, I was concerned about his transition from NDSU to the NFL, his inconsistent performance of highlight plays mixed with avoidable mistakes, and his occasionally reckless play.
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 05-02-2018 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasTeam View Post
    For what itís worth I donít dallas had any intention to draft a TE in the second. Mainly for these reasons. A few picks before then they brought Marinelli and Richard into the war room in what appeared to be to select a defensive player but once the Eagles came in and took a TE thatís when they brought in the o-line coach and people with ties to the player. My guess on this was they thought Williams was gonna be gone and weíre considering the offer for a second rounder for Earl Thomas and/or another defensive player most likely in the secondary. And when Williams was available they went ape **** and send Marinelli and Richard out and brought in the O-line coach.

They war room gave zero indication that they were interested in a TE. Seeing as the TE coach was there as was linehan for the call with the TE they did select.
    They apparently offered a 3 for Thomas and apparently Seattle didnt even respond. And apparently they are still pursuing him.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    If Allen outperformed his college efficiency his first 4 years in the pros, that would be a truly remarkable and rare development. You can't refer to other team's high evaluation of Allen and then ignore the majority opinion of him as a low ceiling, high upside pick. Some traits certainly make it more likely that a QB becomes a bust. I hope for the Bills that it doesn't happen, but denying it is naive.

Regarding Wentz, for example, I was concerned about his transition from NDSU to the NFL, his inconsistent performance of highlight plays mixed with avoidable mistakes, and his occasionally reckless play.
    I'm really not concerned with Allen's completion percentage. It isn't an indicator of how accurate he was with the football or how catchable his passes were. Systems can inflate completion percentage as well. Allen has a quick release, which bodes well for success at the next level. Geno Smith is a prime example of how unimportant completion percentage can be. His numbers were off the charts and he sucked at the pro level.

A lot of people are going to eat their words on Allen. He very well could be the prize of the draft.

I'm really not concerned with Allen's completion percentage. It isn't an indicator of how accurate he was with the football or how catchable his passes were. Systems can inflate completion percentage as well. Allen has a quick release, which bodes well for success at the next level. Geno Smith is a prime example of how unimportant completion percentage can be. His numbers were off the charts and he sucked at the pro level.

A lot of people are going to eat their words on Allen. He very well could be the prize of the draft.
    What about Allen's interception percentage? 3.2% -- what Jay Cutler had last season, but in college. Turnover-prone Sam Darnold was 2.6% over his college career; 2.7% in 2017.

Allen did that while throwing short of the sticks more than everybody else:

I don't care about the jumping in front bit.

But out of the receiving TEs, Goedert was one who can block. So that can't be the argument for why the Cowboys weren't interested in him.

Unless you think Dallas values blocking that much more highly than receiving, which would be pretty dumb, because passing as a whole is much more effective than running.

I don't think Dalton Schultz is the best blocking TE in this draft. I'd like to see who thinks he is. Dissly or Smythe probably are.
    Iím not able to link it here for some reason but SB Nation did a review of Dalton Schultz in March. They seem to think he could be the best blocking TE in the draft and is a very underrated pass catcher/route runner. Here is a screen shot of the article if you want to google it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasTeam View Post
    For what itís worth I donít dallas had any intention to draft a TE in the second. Mainly for these reasons. A few picks before then they brought Marinelli and Richard into the war room in what appeared to be to select a defensive player but once the Eagles came in and took a TE thatís when they brought in the o-line coach and people with ties to the player. My guess on this was they thought Williams was gonna be gone and weíre considering the offer for a second rounder for Earl Thomas and/or another defensive player most likely in the secondary. And when Williams was available they went ape **** and send Marinelli and Richard out and brought in the O-line coach.

They war room gave zero indication that they were interested in a TE. Seeing as the TE coach was there as was linehan for the call with the TE they did select.
    It would have been foolish for Dallas to knee jerk and stray away from their board simply because Witten retired during the draft. Goedert simply wasnít the guy they wanted in the 2nd round. Youíll never be able to convince Eagles fans that they didnít rob Dallas of the the guy they wanted though.

Might be true, but then again, if Mayfield was the Browns' favorite QB in the draft, they absolutely made the right decision in taking him 1st overall. Makes no sense to settle for the 2nd or 3rd QB on your board.

Who were they supposed to take at #1 instead? They clearly liked Ward better than Chubb, and if he turns into a great player he'll have a lot more impact than Barkley would have made on the Browns. They also picked Nick Chubb in the 2nd. 1st round RB and 2nd round CB, or 1st round CB and 2nd round RB? It's a no-brainer to me, especially in a stacked RB class.

Barkley, by taking Mayfield at #1 it allowed the Giants to take Barkley instead of trading out.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Browns should have taken Bradley Chubb.

I think it's ok they passed on Barkley. The Browns are in no shape to contend right now so draft Barkley doesn't make sense from a timeline perspective. The Giants are in a different place than the Browns. The Giants are trying to win now. That's the big difference as far as Barkley is concerned. If Barkley ends up being an all pro right out the gates, it probably wouldn't have gotten the Browns to the playoffs anyhow. But if he's an all pro for the Giants, they definitely have a shot to make the playoffs.
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

What about Allen's interception percentage? 3.2% -- what Jay Cutler had last season, but in college. Turnover-prone Sam Darnold was 2.6% over his college career; 2.7% in 2017.

Allen did that while throwing short of the sticks more than everybody else:
    As I said about Allen, his strong arm is by far his greatest asset. Yes he has size and he's a good athlete, but those things are played up by his insanely strong arm. The rest of his game is a huge work in progress and that makes him a project. I'm sorry, but I don't agree with taking a project at #7 overall. He should have been a mid to late 1st round pick at best. Some teams were just enamored with that arm strength.

I've also been kind of high on Lamar Jackson and I'm glad he went in the 1st round. He deserved to be a 1st round pick. This was a deep QB class and he got a bit overlooked.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 05-03-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    Marmolololololol

The more I think about it and look into things, the more I realize that Darnold should be above Rosen. I'm on board with that now. Darnold is the best QB prospect in this draft followed by Rosen and Mayfield. That's just my opinion. I had Rosen and Darnold almost even, but now I'm coming around to Darnold being the clear guy.

I have to imagine that he's the guy the Giants would have taken if we were going QB. So it will be interesting to see how he develops compared to Barkley's impact. My guess is Barkley will look like the better pick in the early going, but Darnold will develop into a franchise QB and be the better long term asset. In a lot of ways, the Giants decision to go with Barkley depends a lot on Eli. If Eli has one last run in him, then they probably made the right call. If he doesn't, well then they probably made the wrong call.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 05-03-2018 at 10:43 AM.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Barkley, by taking Mayfield at #1 it allowed the Giants to take Barkley instead of trading out.
    What if the Browns didn't want Barkley?

I love how people are calling out the Browns' when we clearly know that they had:
    - Mayfield > Barkley (or anyone else for that matter)
    - Ward > Chubb

What we don't know is if Mayfield would have been available at #4.
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 05-03-2018 at 11:40 AM.

What if the Browns didn't want Barkley?

I love how people are calling out the Browns' when we clearly know that they had:
    - Mayfield > Barkley (or anyone else for that matter)
    - Ward > Chubb

What we don't know is if Mayfield would have been available at #4.
    How do you know their board has Mayfield over Barkley and award over Chubb and they didnít decide that a QB held more value position (not player) to them and a possible shutdown corner held more value than a second pass rusher?

There are some teams that put positional value higher than player grades.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    How do you know their board has Mayfield over Barkley and award over Chubb and they didnít decide that a QB held more value position (not player) to them and a possible shutdown corner held more value than a second pass rusher?

There are some teams that put positional value higher than player grades.
    Doesn't positional value factor into player grades? I'm not talking about need. Should Michael Dickson have been a 1st round pick given that he was one of the best punter prospects in years?

Even if we're sticking to positions, the Browns obviously valued Mayfield higher than Darnold, so why should they risk missing out on their favorite prospect? By taking Barkley 1st overall, they'd even risk that both the Jets and the Giants (or their trade partner) pick a QB each.

Why do people argue the Browns would have been fine taking the 3rd QB on their board?
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 05-03-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Doesn't positional value factor into player grades? I'm not talking about need. Should Michael Dickson have been a 1st round pick given that he was one of the best punter prospects in years?

Even if we're sticking to positions, the Browns obviously valued Mayfield higher than Darnold, so why should they risk missing out on their favorite prospect? By taking Barkley 1st overall, they'd even risk that both the Jets and the Giants (or their trade partner) pick a QB each.

Why do people argue the Browns would have been fine taking the 3rd QB on their board?
    No you make your grade independent and then place a value on that position.

If you got a RB rated 9.0 and a QB 8.5; you likely take the QB because the long term impact to your franchise is higher. But not all teams are doing that.

Iím not arguing that the Browns should have been fine taking the 3rd best on their board. You take the guy who you think is going to have a bigger impact if the grades are close.

What Iím saying is just because one team takes a player doesnít mean he was the highest graded player on their board. **** the Steelers took Terrell Edmunds in the first, and later admitted that Rudolph had a grade as a mid 1st round pick with the other QBs. So either they had Edmunds with a top end 1st round grade, or the positional value along with the grade meant more to them. And seeing as they took Washington in the second, and that they had him rated right about there, it seems as though the positional value mattered.

PROCESSING

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast