Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

NFL Draft Review

I think the Eagles draft was decent. It's tough to do much going in with just pick #32 in the Top 125. I like that this franchise continues to give me 7th rounders to root for. Jordan Mailata follows Beau Allen, who by the way got his starting job taken away by Vita Vae. How disrespectful is that?

The Redskins had a good draft; addressed their bad run defense. They now have 4 players of the 2016 Bama defense.

I hate to admit it, but the Cowboys had a good draft, too. Although the neck of one-year wonder Vander Esch seems unnaturally big -- just saying.

The Giants had a good draft solely due to the picks they had available. If just one of Darnold, Allen, Rosen, or Jackson turns into a franchise QB, their draft class will be damned by hindsight. Same with the Broncos minus Darnold. But maybe Keenum plays like last year.

Bills' future will depend entirely on Josh Allen -- yikes. But at least they're giving this whole young QB thing a shot.

The Lions had a very Belichick-like draft, down to the 7th round pick Nick Bawden, former QB converted to FB, a lunch pail blue collar kind of guy. Of course the Patriots themselves drafted Braxton Berrios. Their draft class was helped by the Rams drastically overpaying for Cooks. Belichick drafted a RB in the 1st so drafting RBs in the 1st is ingenious now -- at least that's what Seahawks fans are telling themselves.

Speaking of Seattle, I like 4 picks that they made: Dissley, Griffin, Dickson, Jones. But I guess having Wilson run around behind a practically nonexistent OL seems to be the long-term plan.

The Cardinals, Bears, and Ravens I think did good, looking at their first 3 picks.

I'm suprised Bortles didn't get stronger competition than Tanner Lee. It must be because Coughlin thinks he can win with an interception-prone QB who never misses a game.

Steelers draft was weird -- I guess they'll make big nickel their base formation now.

Chargers' defense got better.

Best draft goes to the Packers in my opinion. They essentially traded #14 and a 3rd for #18 and a 1st in 2019, yet still added signifcant talent with Jaire Alexander and Josh Jackson to address their biggest weakness. Oren Burks was one of my favorite prospects, too.

The collary is that I think the Saints had the worst draft because they traded their 2019 1st to move up and take a raw pass rusher in Davenport. I'm not even gonna talk about Rick Leonard. Davenport's got to become really good to justify that trade. Two 1sts is what it takes to sign away someone's franchise tagged player. So he'd have to be as good as Ezekiel Ansah or DeMarcus Lawrence minus the big salary.

Anyway, it's the draft so every team got better by adding players. Yay! It's like free lootboxes. Yay!

(I've just learned yesterday what a lootbox is. Preposterous!)
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 04-30-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Giants didn't have a good draft, they had a great one. I have no issues with them not taking a QB for the sole purpose of taking a QB. They got arguably the best player in the entire draft and still snagged a developmental QB in the 4th.

The Browns whiffed big time IMO. Mayfield is probably the 3rd or even 4th best QB in the draft and they took him first overall. Then they pass up the best defensive player in the draft for a CB who they probably could of still taken with a trade back (if available). Even their 4th round pick Callaway is a big risk with the amount of character concerns surrounding him.

Other A+ drafts in my eyes: Packers, Ravens and Broncos.

Drafts I'm not high on: Seahawks, Saints and Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by mudvayne387 View Post
    The Browns whiffed big time IMO. Mayfield is probably the 3rd or even 4th best QB in the draft and they took him first overall. Then they pass up the best defensive player in the draft for a CB who they probably could of still taken with a trade back (if available).
    Mock drafts =/= reality.

Browns had a good draft IMO. At first I wasn't sold on Mayfield but I think he's perfect for what they need. He will win games for them and hopefully make them make the playoffs by the time his rookie contract is over. That alone is a success for them.

I was disappointed in the Vikings' day 1 and 2 for the most part. I mean, what do I know, I'm just a fan.
    Everyone knew they needed to beef up the OL, but Zim wanted another corner and in comes Hughes in rd 1. Then it appeared the run on interior linemen after that caught the Vikings off guard and without a 4th rd pick (and Spielman's refusing to trade 2019 picks) they didn't/couldn't move up in the 2nd....and took an undersized OT.

They may both prove to be great picks, who knows. Some of their day 3 picks may be very good, but only 1 more OL. They KILLED it in UDFA signings, but again no OL. Holton Hill and Hercules Mata'afa were very high rated UDFAs and they got both of 'em, along with some others.

B-/C+ to me overall.....but again, what do we know.....yet
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

I will say this. I literally laughed out loud when the Eagles jumped over the Cowboys to take Goedert out from under them. It may not have set well with his dad- he named him Dallas because dad is a Cowboys fan, while Dallas himself has been a Packers fan.

Perfect in my family, tho (if the Vikings weren't gonna get him)....my Eagles fan brother graduated from SDSU and Dallas is from our home town.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Tanner Lee was pretty hated in Lincoln for being so turnover prone. But if he can clean that up he's an absolute steal where they got him. Not this first year, but the second year it's going to be a legimite position battle, and one that Lee could win.

Loved the Bears draft, and what they did in FA. I give the off-season an easy A. I think they gave both sides of the ball some serious talent.

The skill players from week 1 last year to now is total night and day.

For the Steelers:

Terrell Edmunds S VT - C-
    - There's reports of most teams having a 4th round grade on him, a handful with 5th round grades, and at least 2 with UDFA grades. We massively reached with this one. We picked a safety that struggles at the key things you need to do at safety. Not only that we took the poor man's Sean Davis, who we already have. Oh and we signed the rich man's Sean Davis in Morgan Burnett in the offseason. Along with JJ Wilcox we got 4 box safeties and not one guy who has the ability to play deep safety at a high level.

James Washington WR OKS - B-
    The player himself is fine, even if I personally think he's limited. And we did need a WR after trading Bryant to the Raiders for a 3rd round pick. The problem for me is the role he's going to play (deep threat) isn't something we needed to spend a second round pick on. It's a bit of a waste of a pick for the role he's going to play.

Mason Rudolph QB OKS - B+
    I really like this pick, and saw this kid going in that late 1st/early 2nd, so to get him in the 3rd is a steal IMO. Has the arm talent you could ask for. Needs to develop footwork, anticipation, and needs to learn how to call plays. But that's why I liked him, because with Ben in place for 2-3 years, Rudolph can sit and learn everything he needs to learn.

Chukwuma Okorafor OT WMU - B
    I like this kid. Has the prototypical size of a NFL LT. Has the ability to do stuff, but needs some good coaching. And we have that in Mike Munchak. I think he steps in day one as a swing tackle and makes up nicely for losing Chris Hubbard in FA. I think this might have been a sign of us moving on from Marcus Gilbert at the end of his contract too.

Marcus Allen S/LB PSU - A
    I love this pick. Allen has a nose for the football and if just in plays. He's not a small safety at 6'2" 217. He's only 10 pounds off the playing weight of Ryan Shazier, so I think this is the replacement for the athletic ILB. He's ok in coverage, but excels in the run game and playing in the box. If we can use him the same way then we can have some real success with him.

Jaylen Samuels RB/WR/FB NC State - C+
    Jack of all master of none. I really don't know what to make of this pick TBH. He doesn't really have a position on the field, and in the past we've taken plenty of these guys but have always failed to find an actual role for them in the offense. He's a 3rd down RB without the ability to block, a WR who struggles to get open, and a FB how doesn't play with power. If we find a role for him great, but I think he's a long shot to make the team.

Joshua Frazier NT Alabama - A+
    Yes I'm giving the 7th round pick an A+ grade. He's a NT who's a wide body, plays with a great base, and demands extra blockers. Wasn't a starter for Bama because of subpackages, but when he was in there they were one of the toughest teams to run the ball on, and that's what we need anchoring our defense in run downs. I think he makes NT Danial McCullers expendable and pushes Hargraves to a DE role in the long term.

UDFA:
    Parker Cothren DT PSU (camp body)
    Jarvion Franklin RB WMU (camp body)
    Greg Gilmore DE LSU (pushes LT Walton)
    Quandree Henderson WR Pitt (I think he makes the team as returner/ST player)
    Trey Johnson CB Villanova (long shot but talented)
    Pharoah McKever TE NC State (camp body)
    Patrick Morris C TCU (Practice Squad guy)
    Ikenna Nwokeji OL Elon (camp body)
    Olasunkanmi Adeniyi OLB Toledo (real chance to make the team)
    Chris Schleuger G UAB (camp body)
    Jamar Summers CB UCONN (camp body)
    Matthew Thomas LB FSU (chance to make it out of lack of players at position)
    Kendal Vicker DE Tennessee (camp body)

Overall - C
    We didn't really do much to address our biggest needs (centerfield FS, ILB, EDGE). We reached a bit early and filled 'non-needs'. But at the same time with some of these picks we did set ourselves a nice potential future by getting the QBOTF with Rudolph, as well as parts that can help him develop and be part of the future.

PROCESSING

Here is analysis of from the top 9 sports sources consolidated:

First 4 years:
    Brown - 54 GP, 27 GS, 261 catches (63.3%) for 3,561 yds (8.6 AVG), 15 TD
    Landry - 64 GP, 57 GS, 400 catches (70.2%) for 4,038 yds (10.1 AVG), 22 TD

Huh. Wonder why Landry is getting paid so much...

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Jaylen Samuels RB/WR/FB NC State - C+
    Jack of all master of none. I really don't know what to make of this pick TBH. He doesn't really have a position on the field, and in the past we've taken plenty of these guys but have always failed to find an actual role for them in the offense. He's a 3rd down RB without the ability to block, a WR who struggles to get open, and a FB how doesn't play with power. If we find a role for him great, but I think he's a long shot to make the team.
    I liked Samuels because he reminded me of Trey Burton, who similarly played H-back, FB, RB, and a little WR. That being said, Burton made the team for his work in special teams. He didn't really play on offense until his 3rd season and really only came into his own this last season. He mostly played H-back; for example that's where he lined up for the Philly Special.

I hate the talk of taking a QB because you just need one. No you don't need a QB.... You need a franchise QB. If the Giants GM didn't think any of these QB could be their franchise QB then it makes no sense to take one. You can't take one for the sake of taking one.

I hope all of them turn out to be good, but I am not going to look at this draft as a what if the Giants took a QB.

I love the people criticizing the Giants picking Barkley instead of a QB. They act like no other equivalent QB prospects will be available in future drafts and that you MUST have a top 2 pick to get a QB of that caliber. It's simply not true. We just saw Arizona and Buffalo get their 1st round QB's without giving up too much draft capital. It's also especially funny when the criticism comes from an Eagles fan considering they literally traded up to get Wentz and they also just won the SB with Nick Foles and more importantly, a rushing attack that couldn't be stopped in the playoffs. It's not like Darnold is a generational QB prospect either. He could barely separate himself from the other QB's (enough for the Browns to pass on him) and let's face it, other prospects like him will be available in most drafts.

Meanwhile, a RB prospect like Barkley comes along once a decade. He's almost guaranteed to be a stud. And the Giants haven't been able to run the ball effectively for nearly a decade. That all changes now. I love the player and I love the pick.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 04-30-2018 at 10:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    I liked Samuels because he reminded me of Trey Burton, who similarly played H-back, FB, RB, and a little WR. That being said, Burton made the team for his work in special teams. He didn't really play on offense until his 3rd season and really only came into his own this last season. He mostly played H-back; for example that's where he lined up for the Philly Special.
    Trey Burton 6'3" 230
    Jaylon Samuels 6' 220

I think Samuels will struggle to do any of the dirty work stuff Burton does. Burton is also a little more built now than when he was drafted. I keep seeing people throw out the "TE" label on Samuels and I don't see anything that suggests that he can do it. And as I said, add in the fact that we have a history lately of not using players like that well, and it becomes a bigger headscratcher.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    I love the people criticizing the Giants picking Barkley instead of a QB. They act like no other equivalent QB prospects will be available in future drafts and that you MUST have a top 2 pick to get a QB of that caliber. It's simply not true. We just saw Arizona and Buffalo get their 1st round QB's without giving up too much draft capital. It's also especially funny when the criticism comes from an Eagles fan considering they literally traded up to get Wentz and they also just one the SB with Nick Foles and more importantly, a rushing attack that couldn't be stopped in the playoffs. It's not like Darnold is a generational QB prospect either. He could barely separate himself from the other QB's (enough for the Browns to pass on him) and let's face it, other prospects like him will be available in most drafts.

Meanwhile, a RB prospect like Barkley comes along once a decade. He's almost guaranteed to be a stud. And the Giants haven't been able to run the ball effectively for nearly a decade. That all changes now. I love the player and I love the pick.
    It seemed so much to me like people were knocking on the Giants for not taking a QB because you just have to take a QB. Not that there are any that stand out as a sure bet or sure franchise guy. That's not a position you just plug in....

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast