Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

7th Round Pick 229: Jason Sanders K New Mexico

Profile:

http://draftscout.com/ratings/dsprof...=2018&genpos=K

I'm kinda surprised I was able to actually find a profile.

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

I figured we had to be drafting a kicker.

SiClancy
    Jason Sanders is Miamiís new kicker. Darren Rizzi worked him out in New Mexico. He has a monster leg, capable of 70 yard FG distance. Best kickoff percentage in terms of touch backs as a junior and senior. Soccer player, needs consistency but high upside.
    Not sure why we didn't pick Eddy Pineiro... dude has just as strong a leg but has high consistency already.

Rizzi had to of seen something. I'm not too worried about it, in Rizzi we trust.

Alright, so I'm a little confused. NFL.com said that the kid is accurate but doesn't have much leg. I was just watching highlights and I feel like he has 50 with relative ease. Not sure that he's much over that in the NFL, but I could see him getting 54 or so with a little bit more time in the weight room. I really like that he has an easy motion and his ball travels straight up and down with very little wobble. Having seen him kick now, I will throttle back my complaining...he looks like he could be a solid(ish) pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kDjhy6fIKc

Yea I didnt understand that. I think ESPN got the wrong person because hes literally the exact opposite. Hes got a huge leg but is really inconsistent. 71% accuracy should tell you enough.

He fits into the mold that Rizzi likes which is huge legged and inconsistent.

He only made 25 out of 35 FG's but he made 111 out of 112 extra points. So I mean, he seems to be pretty automatic and has a very strong leg. The fact he only attempted 35 FG's but kicked 112 extra points means the coaches didn't trust him enough to consistently give him FG tries.

I just think this was weird because I don't believe other teams would've been fighting over other teams getting this guy signed in as an UDFA. We could've easily drafted Eddy Pineiro and then brought this guy to camp if we really liked him that much. I don't know, pretty ballsy of Rizzi.
    BRUH

extra points are still chip shots in college, so keep that in mind. Not the 35 yarders they now are in the NFL.

Yea I was going to say automatic on the gimme's. Read that on XP's (or 20 yard FGs), NFL was 99.5% success rate so then they changed the rule meanwhile college sits around 96%. 25 for 35 is definitely not automatic and also worrisome he had so few attempts in two years. I got that in a phinsiders article, I almost can't believe it though that he only attempted 35 kicks in 2 seasons. That's like one FG attempt a game... And if they scored 112 TD's, then that means their offense couldn't have been that bad. I don't know. Wasting too much time on a kicker I had never heard of. Let's just see how he looks in camp. We already signed another UDFA kicker to compete with him.
    BRUH

Just read some more and that number is pretty in line with what kickers attempt over a 2 year span. I'm not huge on watching college football. Anyway... Eddy Pineiro was 5-5 on kicks over 50 yards during the past 2 years. He made an 81 yard FG with pads on during warmups. Last year he made 17-18 only missing a 47 yarder. Past two years he's 38 for 43 which is much better than Sanders' 25 for 35. So yea, still don't understand why he wasn't the pick but I guess we'll find out. Rizzi was money with the Parkey signing. And Sturgis turned out to be a solid pro, we just lost patience with him after a bad year.
    BRUH

Yea the weird part about this that Pinero was largely considered the best Kicker and we passed on him. Almost got him as an UDFA but still.

But like I said, in Rizzi we trust. I thought Parkey and Frank's would be garbage and they both proved me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by LRizzle View Post
    Just read some more and that number is pretty in line with what kickers attempt over a 2 year span. I'm not huge on watching college football. Anyway... Eddy Pineiro was 5-5 on kicks over 50 yards during the past 2 years. He made an 81 yard FG with pads on during warmups. Last year he made 17-18 only missing a 47 yarder. Past two years he's 38 for 43 which is much better than Sanders' 25 for 35. So yea, still don't understand why he wasn't the pick but I guess we'll find out. Rizzi was money with the Parkey signing. And Sturgis turned out to be a solid pro, we just lost patience with him after a bad year.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Why not use the pick (intended for a kicker anyway) and take the "best kicker in the draft"...then invite this kid in as an UDFA. To me, that's a MUCH better strategy given the situation. That way you have a stud battling someone trying to dethrone him (solid competition). Now we have a god knows what battling another god knows what...ending up with...wait for it...god knows what?

So I don't have the link, but I was reading that the reason Rizzi liked this kid is due to his leg strength beyond 50 yards and on kickoffs. It was felt that his lack of accuracy was more so based on lack of experience and opportunities. Rizzi felt that with proper coaching and putting in the reps, that Sanders had more "pro potential" than most of the other kickers in the class. He likes the raw player and feels he can refine it. I guess that's what coaches are supposed to do. Let's see.

Rizzi finally commented on what he saw in Sanders as the (potential) future kicker for the Phins. He feels that Sanders played for a team that went for it too often in/near the red zone, and that lead to far too few attempts for the kicker. This lead to longer kicks more often and a lower overall FG percentage (71%). He went on to say that Gostkowski, Bryant, Crosby, and Gould were all similar in their FG percentages. That at the end of the day, the leg strength + clean snap/hold + opportunities had a ton to do with overall success for a kicker. He felt that the leg strength was there for Sanders, but that he was on a sketchy unit (center/holder/line) and that by cleaning up those issues, that he could be successful at the next level. Rizzi said that this kid would have likely been a household name in the SEC/Big 10/etc..., and would have been drafted much higher. I'm just glad that Rizzi has a plan; I for one am excited to see what this kid can do. He does have competition though; that much I am glad for.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...211033674.html

Like I said man, In Rizzie We Trust.

Welcome Back Sweet Prince