Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 134
  1. #106
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    29,609
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    I think Killmonger and Loki were better, but Thanos was up there.
    No way. Thanos and it's not even close. Those villains are small time compared to the great Thanos.

    Thanos will not spare you.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

  2. #107
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    29,609
    Thanos reminds me of like a Dragon Ball Z villain. Yosef knows what I'm talking about.

    After they kill him, they are gonna wish everyone back to life with the Dragon Balls.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    eau claire, wi
    Posts
    4,057
    Anyone else find themselves thinking: "Thanos doesn't seem like that bad of guy"?

    He is just doing what he thinks he needs to do to save the universe and doesn't seem to enjoy it from a tyrannical maniac standpoint and he sort of has a point when he says "If life is left unchecked, life will cease to exist".

    So yeah, I'm team Thanos.

  4. #109
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    11,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    No way. Thanos and it's not even close. Those villains are small time compared to the great Thanos.

    Thanos will not spare you.
    Joker is small time too.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  5. #110
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kaverns of Krock
    Posts
    3,541
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo30 View Post
    Anyone else find themselves thinking: "Thanos doesn't seem like that bad of guy"?

    He is just doing what he thinks he needs to do to save the universe and doesn't seem to enjoy it from a tyrannical maniac standpoint and he sort of has a point when he says "If life is left unchecked, life will cease to exist".

    So yeah, I'm team Thanos.
    I completely agree. He has a legit reason.

  6. #111
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    37,758
    I think the thing here is, what gives Thanos the right to be God? His idea of a reset may not be the correct one. It's not like he's picking and choosing who stays and who 'dies'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  7. #112
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    eau claire, wi
    Posts
    4,057
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I think the thing here is, what gives Thanos the right to be God? His idea of a reset may not be the correct one. It's not like he's picking and choosing who stays and who 'dies'.
    He is doing it the most fair way, by not choosing. No preferential treatment to rich or poor, everyone has the same odds. Its not about keeping the right or wrong people. Its about reducing the population to a point where the universe can continue to exist.

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    29,609
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Joker is small time too.
    Fair point
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

  9. #114
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    37,758
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo30 View Post
    He is doing it the most fair way, by not choosing. No preferential treatment to rich or poor, everyone has the same odds. Its not about keeping the right or wrong people. Its about reducing the population to a point where the universe can continue to exist.
    He's not choosing favorites, but he's choosing that people die/cease to exist. His thoughts are that reducing the population will allow the universe to continue to exist based off of his thoughts. Plus he's doing more to save himself really. I doubt if it was, "Thanos, to save the universe, you have to die," Thanos would sacrifice himself. He's in it to save the universe for his own/the Titan benefit rather than the greater good for the universe as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  10. #115
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    eau claire, wi
    Posts
    4,057
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    He's not choosing favorites, but he's choosing that people die/cease to exist. His thoughts are that reducing the population will allow the universe to continue to exist based off of his thoughts. Plus he's doing more to save himself really. I doubt if it was, "Thanos, to save the universe, you have to die," Thanos would sacrifice himself. He's in it to save the universe for his own/the Titan benefit rather than the greater good for the universe as a whole.
    I guess I disagree. The universes resources on each planet are finite, that's fact. Those resources will eventually not be able to support the population. He had already been "balancing" in a similar way but on a smaller scale (by going planet to planet and killing people) and had helped planets like Gamora's turn into a paradise for the people who are living there because the population was living within that planets resources means.

    I also feel like if he had the option to sacrifice himself to obtain universal balance without half the population having to die, he would do it in a heartbeat. But he doesn't have that option. He doesn't like killing these people, he just knows it needs to happen, and he knows that he is the only one in the universe with the means and mindset to accomplish it.

  11. #116
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    29,609
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo30 View Post
    I guess I disagree. The universes resources on each planet are finite, that's fact. Those resources will eventually not be able to support the population. He had already been "balancing" in a similar way but on a smaller scale (by going planet to planet and killing people) and had helped planets like Gamora's turn into a paradise for the people who are living there because the population was living within that planets resources means.

    I also feel like if he had the option to sacrifice himself to obtain universal balance without half the population having to die, he would do it in a heartbeat. But he doesn't have that option. He doesn't like killing these people, he just knows it needs to happen, and he knows that he is the only one in the universe with the means and mindset to accomplish it.
    I think I agree with this, but that doesn't mean he's in the right though. Killing half of all life in the universe still makes him a mass murderer even if in his mind it was necessary for life to continue. If this happened in real life, think about all the families that would be broken up... all the pain and heartbreak.

    It's not his place to do something like this. Let evolution take care of this as life will either go on or not based on natural selection. He might not view himself as evil, but he certainly has done plenty of evil things to achieve his goal.

    But it's a good ethics question. I actually took a business ethics course in college that posed the following question: If you push a man into a moving train knowing that it could save a bunch of children in that train, is it the ethically right thing to do? Ultimately the answer was no. You still murdered someone, but there will always be people who believe otherwise... that in such chases, sacrifices are necessary. Thanos is one of those who obviously thinks this way. He would push the man in front of the train. In stark contrast with that you have Captain America who is one of the main protagonists. He refuses to kill Vision even though it could save trillions of lives. I'm sure the next Avengers movie will play into this concept when the two square off.

    Ultron had a similar ethical question that he brought up, but his was a bit different than Thanos in that he actually pointed his finger at humanity as the problem whereas Thanos doesn't point his finger at anyone. Thanos just believes it's an inevitable problem concerning all life and that life cannot go unchecked. Perhaps that makes Thanos a little bit less evil, but again, his actions are evil even if in his mind his cause is just. And in the end, it's your actions that you are responsible for.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 05-16-2018 at 10:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

  12. #117
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    eau claire, wi
    Posts
    4,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    I think I agree with this, but that doesn't mean he's in the right though. Killing half of all life in the universe still makes him a mass murderer even if in his mind it was necessary for life to continue. If this happened in real life, think about all the families that would be broken up... all the pain and heartbreak.

    It's not his place to do something like this. Let evolution take care of this as life will either go on or not based on natural selection. He might not view himself as evil, but he certainly has done plenty of evil things to achieve his goal.

    But it's a good ethics question. I actually took a business ethics course in college that posed the following question: If you push a man into a moving train knowing that it could save a bunch of children in that train, is it the ethically right thing to do? Ultimately the answer was no. You still murdered someone, but there will always be people who believe otherwise... that in such chases, sacrifices are necessary. Thanos is one of those who obviously thinks this way. He would push the man in front of the train. In stark contrast with that you have Captain America who is one of the main protagonists. He refuses to kill Vision even though it could save trillions of lives. I'm sure the next Avengers movie will play into this concept when the two square off.

    Ultron had a similar ethical question that he brought up, but his was a bit different than Thanos in that he actually pointed his finger at humanity as the problem whereas Thanos doesn't point his finger at anyone. Thanos just believes it's an inevitable problem concerning all life and that life cannot go unchecked. Perhaps that makes Thanos a little bit less evil, but again, his actions are evil even if in his mind his cause is just. And in the end, it's your actions that you are responsible for.

    I think the fact we are having these kinds of conversations is what makes Thanos such a great villain. He is definitely my favorite of any comic book movie so far. There are just so many layers to the character.

    as for your post, my main disagreement is that I don't think it is only necessary "in his mind" from a very blunt standpoint. I think its an absolute necessity if your main concern is for the long term. It just comes down to him being willing to do what 99.9999999999999999% of life aren't willing to do. Everyone else is fine accepting the eventual depletion of resources in order to maintain life now because it wont affect them anytime soon.

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    37,758
    I think you're assuming the resources will run dry though which is what Thanos is assuming as well. It's not a definitive that this is the case. Evidence is there to support the idea it will happen, but you're also assuming there is no alternative path to recreate and/or reproduce these resources. I don't think these are finite.

    As much as there is waste in society today, there are still advancements and alternatives to what used to be done.

    The idea is Thanos is assuming what will happen because of what happened to his planet. He's assuming people won't adapt.

    On a point that was made before, of course there will be harmony and prosperity on planets when half the population is gone, but what's going to stop the eventual reduction in resources again when the population raises again? Or just because he destroyed planets/populations doesn't automatically make the resources a plenty, it just makes them not used up as quickly. He's just prolonging the inevitable then, not really fixing anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  14. #119
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    eau claire, wi
    Posts
    4,057
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I think you're assuming the resources will run dry though which is what Thanos is assuming as well. It's not a definitive that this is the case. Evidence is there to support the idea it will happen, but you're also assuming there is no alternative path to recreate and/or reproduce these resources. I don't think these are finite.

    As much as there is waste in society today, there are still advancements and alternatives to what used to be done.

    The idea is Thanos is assuming what will happen because of what happened to his planet. He's assuming people won't adapt.

    On a point that was made before, of course there will be harmony and prosperity on planets when half the population is gone, but what's going to stop the eventual reduction in resources again when the population raises again? Or just because he destroyed planets/populations doesn't automatically make the resources a plenty, it just makes them not used up as quickly. He's just prolonging the inevitable then, not really fixing anything.
    He would definitely need to sustain the balance. So yes he would need to kill half the population again in the future. And I would at least assume that halving the population would put them back to living within the planets resources to where they could renew at a healthy rate instead of being depleted.

    I think the big questions should be, why not use the infinity gauntlet to make the universes resources infinite?

  15. #120
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    37,758
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo30 View Post
    He would definitely need to sustain the balance. So yes he would need to kill half the population again in the future. And I would at least assume that halving the population would put them back to living within the planets resources to where they could renew at a healthy rate instead of being depleted.

    I think the big questions should be, why not use the infinity gauntlet to make the universes resources infinite?
    And I think that's why it's a little more of him being about himself than the 'good of the universe.' I doubt destroying half the universe is the only way to go about it when he has such a powerful tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •