Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    On top of allowing players to enter the NBA out of HS, they should also allow undrafted college players who still have eligible years remaining to return to college. It makes zero sense to deny players eligibility because they took a chance...who wouldn't throw their hat in the NBA draft if they truly thought they had a chance to get drafted or make a team? And I get the whole scholarships or taking someone else's spot, but if that's too much of a thing to overlook they could grant these players the freedom to transfer to any college they seem fit, you know kinda like what college HCs are allowed to do without any penalty

Also forcing players to "stay" for X-amount of years is stupid. I get it from the NFL standpoint as it relates to maturity, but it's still stupid. Imagining going to a job interview and they say you meet all the qualifications and would make an excellent addition to the company....but you aren't X-amount of years removed from college or HS and they, unfortunately can't hire you.

👑
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    and Syracuse has sucked for years
    Wish my wife's name was Syracuse.

Quote Originally Posted by JWO35 View Post
    On top of allowing players to enter the NBA out of HS, they should also allow undrafted college players who still have eligible years remaining to return to college. It makes zero sense to deny players eligibility because they took a chance...who wouldn't throw their hat in the NBA draft if they truly thought they had a chance to get drafted or make a team? And I get the whole scholarships or taking someone else's spot, but if that's too much of a thing to overlook they could grant these players the freedom to transfer to any college they seem fit, you know kinda like what college HCs are allowed to do without any penalty

Also forcing players to "stay" for X-amount of years is stupid. I get it from the NFL standpoint as it relates to maturity, but it's still stupid. Imagining going to a job interview and they say you meet all the qualifications and would make an excellent addition to the company....but you aren't X-amount of years removed from college or HS and they, unfortunately can't hire you.
    The bolded has nothing to do with the NBA and they can already return if they don't sign with an agent

The pity party for the players is beyond hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    I don't think there is any clear evidence that there are any less busts with the one and done than the straight from HS model. Each year there are busts in the lottery even though they have been "evaluated".
    sigh... have you ever looked at a rivals 100 when the players enter college and then see how much the players move around when drafted a year later?

I am sure though that your viewpoint is more accurate than the league who wanted to put the current system in place to reduce risk. They aren't professionals at this or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post
    The bolded has nothing to do with the NBA and they can already return if they don't sign with an agent

Agreed 1000%. It's kinda absurd how every one of these things is always about "but they screw the players!"

Ok, players have found loopholes. Playing overseas, reclassifying, now we got one going to the G-League. I knew when this first started that the loopholes would be found. And they found them. The 1-and-done rule wasn't to protect the NBA, protect the NCAA, or to hurt the players. The 1-and-done was to protect players from themselves. And I say look at the contradiction that they have said: We want older players to still get paid, but we also want it to be easier for more and younger players to come into the league who are cheaper for teams. We care about the middle class of the NBA, but we want it to be easier to pay the max contracts and make teams give more.

NBA players collectively give themselves the worse deals in CBA's. Yea they get guaranteed money and the NFL has that. Yea they have a soft cap and the NHL doesn't have that. Yea they can get multiple paydays and the MLB sometimes doesn't.

But they've choked out the market on 80% of their players. These $8-12mil a year deals are a dying breed. They've killed their older players from being able to continually earn by making it easier to control a younger player longer. They've killed the ability for young guys to develop by pushing the need for them to be the face of the franchise.

I've said it all along. This last CBA that was negotiated was self serving to the highest degree of the leadership if the NBPA. The 4 biggest parts of the player leadership is who got served the best from it. 4 aging stars that gained the most through raising max deals, raising the age, and making it easier to retain players. Oh, those 4: Lebron James, Chris Paul, Andre Igoudala, Carmelo Anthony. Now 2 of those players have already directly benefited from the change (LBJ, Iggy) another is about to benefit (CP3), and the last one shot himself in the foot (Melo).

They screwed their rank and file.

Sorry got off on a rant there, but this 1-and-done was nothing more than to save players from themselves. And it's failed a bit because guys that should have stayed have come out. I dunno if some of these guys would have come out if it weren't for the rule. Maybe a few guys that went to less established programs end up going to a bigger one, not playing much freshman year, and then play more sophomore and junior years and then turn pro. Maybe they turn pro asap and get drafted in round 2.

PROCESSING

sigh... have you ever looked at a rivals 100 when the players enter college and then see how much the players move around when drafted a year later?

I am sure though that your viewpoint is more accurate than the league who wanted to put the current system in place to reduce risk. They aren't professionals at this or anything.
    Clearly since they are likely to abandon the "protective" one and done and rule.

Looked it up ... 35% of underclassmen who declared for the NFL draft were not drafted. That is players 3 years removed from high school.

I tried but could not find numbers from the high schoolers draft rate from the pre one and done rule change.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    Clearly since they are likely to abandon the "protective" one and done and rule.
    a simpleton response... not unexpected... give us your analysis once the new system comes out... you're delusional if you think they are returning to the old system....

There's a "Point of no return" (aka a deadline) regardless if you signed an agent or not...if you don't get drafted (and did not sign an agent) you are still ineligible to play college ball.

It's hilarious that you think allowing players to return to school and continue playing is a "pity party"...Making millions of dollars off of college athletes without them making a single dime is a "pity party".

👑

There's a "Point of no return" (aka a deadline) regardless if you signed an agent or not...if you don't get drafted (and did not sign an agent) you are still ineligible to play college ball.

It's hilarious that you think allowing players to return to school and continue playing is a "pity party"...Making millions of dollars off of college athletes without them making a single dime is a "pity party".
    really?

none of what you said has anything to do with the NBA... its the colleges rule ... the CBA says they don't have to withdraw until 10 days before the draft

Here is a summary of early entry:

Players who are not automatically eligible but wish to be drafted must declare their eligibility no later than 60 days before the draft.[19] After this date, "early entry" players may attend NBA pre-draft camps and individual team workouts to show off their skills and obtain feedback regarding their draft positions. Under the CBA, a player may withdraw his name from consideration from the draft at any time before the final declaration date, which is 10 days before the draft.[20] However, the NCAA adopted a rule that took effect in August 2009 that requires players at its member institutions to withdraw no later than May 8 to retain their college eligibility; the first draft affected by this rule was the 2010 draft.[21] In 2011, the NCAA shortened its timeline for players to withdraw and retain eligibility to one day before the start of the spring signing period for men's basketball, which occurs in April.[22] The NCAA changed its withdrawal rule again in 2016, effective with that year's draft; its withdrawal deadline is now in late May, specifically 10 days after the final day of the annual NBA Draft Combine.[23]
    A player who declares for the draft will lose his college eligibility, even if he is not drafted, if he signs with any agent.[24] Before 2016, the NCAA only allowed a player to enter the draft once without losing eligibility,[22] but current NCAA rules now allow players to declare for and withdraw from multiple drafts while retaining college eligibility.[23] The CBA allows a player to withdraw twice.[20]

As for making money off the players you obviously don't understand how title IX works and the fact that without college basketball and college football that all NCAA sports could never be funded...

btw... what exactly is your gripe about the money the schools make on the athletes? Are you under some ill informed belief that the schools pocket all of this and it doesn't go back into the athletic programs?

really?

none of what you said has anything to do with the NBA... its the colleges rule ... the CBA says they don't have to withdraw until 10 days before the draft

Here is a summary of early entry:

Players who are not automatically eligible but wish to be drafted must declare their eligibility no later than 60 days before the draft.[19] After this date, "early entry" players may attend NBA pre-draft camps and individual team workouts to show off their skills and obtain feedback regarding their draft positions. Under the CBA, a player may withdraw his name from consideration from the draft at any time before the final declaration date, which is 10 days before the draft.[20] However, the NCAA adopted a rule that took effect in August 2009 that requires players at its member institutions to withdraw no later than May 8 to retain their college eligibility; the first draft affected by this rule was the 2010 draft.[21] In 2011, the NCAA shortened its timeline for players to withdraw and retain eligibility to one day before the start of the spring signing period for men's basketball, which occurs in April.[22] The NCAA changed its withdrawal rule again in 2016, effective with that year's draft; its withdrawal deadline is now in late May, specifically 10 days after the final day of the annual NBA Draft Combine.[23]
    A player who declares for the draft will lose his college eligibility, even if he is not drafted, if he signs with any agent.[24] Before 2016, the NCAA only allowed a player to enter the draft once without losing eligibility,[22] but current NCAA rules now allow players to declare for and withdraw from multiple drafts while retaining college eligibility.[23] The CBA allows a player to withdraw twice.[20]

As for making money off the players you obviously don't understand how title IX works and the fact that without college basketball and college football that all NCAA sports could never be funded...

btw... what exactly is your gripe about the money the schools make on the athletes? Are you under some ill informed belief that the schools pocket all of this and it doesn't go back into the athletic programs?
    Tommy goes to college to play basketball at MoneyBags University
    Tommy goes to the bookstore and sees everyone is buying his #00 jersey like hotcakes

How much money does Tommy get for every jersey sold?

Thanks for the copy & paste...yeah sounds like a deadline to me buddy

👑

Tommy goes to the bookstore and sees everyone is buying his #00 jersey like hotcakes

Seriously your ignorance to Title IX restrictions is mind boggling

have a good day ... you aren't worth my time

Hopefully some other rando on the internet is

👑

I canít think of anything less mind boggling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Like someone said earlier the impact of Title IX makes it near impossible. The amount of individuals who wouldnít go to college because there sport isnít funded at a college level would lead to a huge sociocultural impact that would absolutely negatively affect the urban areas in a bad way.

But scoot that aside. Tommy can make money other ways than attend college with other professional leagues and enter the draft. He made the choice to go play there when he is well aware of other options. For **** sakes he made that choice over pro ball and is well aware of the consequences. Are you in favor of babying the generation and giving them anything they want?

Zero sympathy for the athletes. They made the choice over making money. And the positive impact of you not getting paid has offered thousands of people the ability to attend college.

For every Kobe Bryant there's a Jonathan Bender, Leon Smith, Eddy Curry, DaSagna Diop and a Ndubi Ebi that don't make it. But they do have to fix the rules to go one way or the other. Baseball players get drafted straight out of high school all the time. 14 high schoolers were drafted in the first round last year.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast