Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    With the corruption in college now in the NCAA this makes sense now.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

I think kids should be allowed to play. I also think the top of draft being dominated by kids that are not NBA ready kind of kills the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Maybe there should be two way contracts for rookies now with the glut of raw kids that are going to be taking the nba option. I think they should look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    Maybe there should be two way contracts for rookies now with the glut of raw kids that are going to be taking the nba option. I think they should look into that.
    ALL NBA contracts are two-way contracts as far as playing in the developmental and big league, so if, as some people believe, the NBA will allow teams to draft anybody then all of those players will be eligible to play in the G-league by default.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    ALL NBA contracts are two-way contracts as far as playing in the developmental and big league, so if, as some people believe, the NBA will allow teams to draft anybody then all of those players will be eligible to play in the G-league by default.
    IIRC there's some caps to that though. Like a certain number of send downs and call ups before you are forced to release them.

I really think if they want to go through with this, they need to make a 1:1 G-League/NBA team match, make the draft 3 rounds, make the 3rd round all 2-way contracts, and put some other provisions in there.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    IIRC there's some caps to that though. Like a certain number of send downs and call ups before you are forced to release them.

I really think if they want to go through with this, they need to make a 1:1 G-League/NBA team match, make the draft 3 rounds, make the 3rd round all 2-way contracts, and put some other provisions in there.
    You can send an NBA player on an NBA contract to the G-league as many times as you want.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    The problem there is NFL has the rule in place because of physical maturity. MLB and NHL have a great minor league system in place to help those guys grow. NBA has neither thing in place. So there isn't a great development path or fall back place if a guy isn't ready or needs some work.
    Maturity argument is the party line but obviously a symbiotic relationship between the NCAA money machine and the NFL. NFL has no incentive not to have a very well oiled farm system (NCAA) in place. Nonsense that they are worried about physical maturity - its about keeping the nice free farm system in place.

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    Maturity argument is the party line but obviously a symbiotic relationship between the NCAA money machine and the NFL. NFL has no incentive not to have a very well oiled farm system (NCAA) in place. Nonsense that they are worried about physical maturity - its about keeping the nice free farm system in place.
    It's both really. The NFL and NBA want more information about prospects so they don't screw up too often in the draft, AND the NCAA members make a lot of money off the arrangement.

I agree. That's what I was implying with "symbiotic relationship". I don't buy the concept of being concerned about physical maturity.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post
    go read the original thread...

the intelligent people on the subject aren't little nancy's reacting to every media report...

Any system put in place will look nothing like the one in place before the one and done rule was put in place
    But I just want to be clear, before the one and done rule HS kids could declare for the NBA draft and be selected and what they want to do now is eliminate the one and done rule so... HS kids could declare for the NBA draft and be selected.

Big change. Yes, the nuances of the system and how it's implemented will change. But HS kids being able to go to the NBA is the biggest change and in that thread everyone argued about how dumb an idea it was to let HS kids go to the NBA at all, not just under the old system.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    But I just want to be clear, before the one and done rule HS kids could declare for the NBA draft and be selected and what they want to do now is eliminate the one and done rule so... HS kids could declare for the NBA draft and be selected.

Big change. Yes, the nuances of the system and how it's implemented will change. But HS kids being able to go to the NBA is the biggest change and in that thread everyone argued about how dumb an idea it was to let HS kids go to the NBA at all, not just under the old system.
    nah... that isn't what I was saying ... I said the League preferred additional evaluation time... whether that happens in the G League or in College is irrelevant. I don't see the League approving a scenario where players can go straight from HS to the League without changing the pay structure for rookie contracts again.

That was the original point of the one and done ... reduce the financial risk of busts...

I will wait to see what changes but I don't think it will look anything like it did before.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post
    nah... that isn't what I was saying ... I said the League preferred additional evaluation time... whether that happens in the G League or in College is irrelevant. I don't see the League approving a scenario where players can go straight from HS to the League without changing the pay structure for rookie contracts again.

That was the original point of the one and done ... reduce the financial risk of busts...

I will wait to see what changes but I don't think it will look anything like it did before.
    I don't think there is any clear evidence that there are any less busts with the one and done than the straight from HS model. Each year there are busts in the lottery even though they have been "evaluated".

I agree. That's what I was implying with "symbiotic relationship". I don't buy the concept of being concerned about physical maturity.
    That is part of it though ... those extra years make it more likely a player who is soft doesn't make it through college healthy and it makes them less likely to be drafted. The NFL does care about their physical maturity in that it makes them less likely to draft players who can't stand up to the abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post

So, if the new system has them being limited to the G-league that's not going to the NBA right?

I don't think there is any clear evidence that there are any less busts with the one and done than the straight from HS model. Each year there are busts in the lottery even though they have been "evaluated".
    That's nearly impossible for us to evaluate. NBA teams will have their data from scouting players in high school and the rate they fail to make the NBA to support whatever position they take. In no system I can think of does having more (usable) data not result in fewer errors.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast