Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 48 of 56 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuys89 View Post
    OEL took a bargain in order to stay there. If he hit the open market, he would get $9+ million without a doubt. He wanted to stay in Arizona for personal reasons not associated with winning and being a budget team they can't really afford to pay what players of his caliber are worth, so he took a hometown discount. Shane Doan did the same exact thing for his entire career.

This is why I feel Provorov is going to get at least $8 million and I highly doubt he signs and extension this off-season. Obviously if I were the Flyers management group I would be talking extension now, but if I'm in the Provorov camp I'm holding out until my ELC expires.
    And if one of your clients gets hurt, and misses out on that next contract you'd have a hard time finding work again.

6-8 years of of 5-7 million per year is lives-long security. It's a helluva risk to wait it out.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    I just think they wait it out. If his name gets cleared he will get top value again or at least close to it. Doesnt make sense to move him anytime soon.
    They are in a tough spot in any way they choose. Would hate to have that drama on the team. Extremely inappropriate and strange thing to comment on, Ottawa is in a really unenviable position.

Letís keep in mind Ghost and Couturier are both signed long term under 5m on the cap. Hexy gets A+ marks here.

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    And if one of your clients gets hurt, and misses out on that next contract you'd have a hard time finding work again.

6-8 years of of 5-7 million per year is lives-long security. It's a helluva risk to wait it out.
    It's a risk either way. Being an agent in itself is risky business, so most opt on the side of the higher reward simply because the risk is always there. Provorov should, and probably will, follow along with what Marner and Matthews are doing in Toronto. I mean listen if he wants to sign an extension now for under $7 million for the next 8 years I am all for that and would be elated due to having more flexibility with the cap, but I just don't see him doing that. OEL has set the market for the top 5-10 defensemen in the league, so Provorov (who scored the second most goals of any defenseman in the league) and put up a couple of points less than OEL while quarterbacking an abysmal second powerplay unit knows what he is worth. He should hold out. I hope he doesn't, but he should.

It's a risk either way. Being an agent in itself is risky business, so most opt on the side of the higher reward simply because the risk is always there. Provorov should, and probably will, follow along with what Marner and Matthews are doing in Toronto. I mean listen if he wants to sign an extension now for under $7 million for the next 8 years I am all for that and would be elated due to having more flexibility with the cap, but I just don't see him doing that. OEL has set the market for the top 5-10 defensemen in the league, so Provorov (who scored the second most goals of any defenseman in the league) and put up a couple of points less than OEL while quarterbacking an abysmal second powerplay unit knows what he is worth. He should hold out. I hope he doesn't, but he should.
    There are slight differences here -- for one, Provorov would be 5 years (1 EL + 4 RFA) from UFA, so his cap hit should be lower as we would only be buying, at most, 4 years of UFA. Moreover, Provorov would be ~29 at the end of a 8-year deal, so he'd still likely command another massive deal.

If you're Provorov, you're probably looking at OEL's bridge deal as a framework, not his UFA deal. Again, OEL was slated to hit UFA -- so you're buying 8 years of UFA time. That's a different price framework than buying 4 years of RFA time plus several years of UFA time.

I think you can get Provorov done for 6-7/$38-42M -- he's 27/28 at expiry. Can easily land an OEL-type deal for the back 9 of his career.

I think it'll be interesting to see who signs first between Provorov and Werenski and how that affects each of their respective contracts. Werenski overall has probably been a little better but he's also had Seth Jones as a partner for the large majority of his career and played easier minutes.

2018 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

Domi for Galchenyuk straight up. Domi will sign an extension in MTL.

MTL is so dumb.

Domi for Galchenyuk straight up. Domi will sign an extension in MTL.

MTL is so dumb.
    Agreed.

@cubs - does that trade make you think Montreal is just crazy enough to trade #3 or move Weber for cheap with retention of salary?

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    @cubs - does that trade make you think Montreal is just crazy enough to trade #3 or move Weber for cheap with retention of salary?
    It makes sense in the sense that the trade was motivated by being able to sign Domito an extension that is much cheaper, but yeah I don't see how trading Gally for another underperforming winger helps solve their problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    It makes sense in the sense that the trade was motivated by being able to sign Domito an extension that is much cheaper, but yeah I don't see how trading Gally for another underperforming winger helps solve their problem.
    Unless you count Drouin, which I donít, they have exactly 1 center now haha

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    a) Not sure why MTL gives you any indication they want to move on from him. He's basically their only good defenseman and they just traded for him.

b) Why on Earth would you want anything to do with that contract? It's not just the cap hit, castan, it's the length. He's signed until he's 40.

I really don't want anything to do with Weber.

2018 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

a) Not sure why MTL gives you any indication they want to move on from him. He's basically their only good defenseman and they just traded for him.

b) Why on Earth would you want anything to do with that contract? It's not just the cap hit, castan, it's the length. He's signed until he's 40.

Preach.

Not only did they just trade for him, they traded PK Subban for him.

Regardless, the length of contract and the fact he's coming off a major injury and surgery is a no-go.

Regardless 2.0, Montreal doesn't actually believe they need to rebuild. Weber is a piece of their core and they are not going to trade him. They believe they can compete.

Ah, Iíll take the future HOFer and hope he retires after 6 more years if it gives us 3 cup runs.

I just really want a cup and itís silly time

Preach.

Not only did they just trade for him, they traded PK Subban for him.

Regardless, the length of contract and the fact he's coming off a major injury and surgery is a no-go.

Regardless 2.0, Montreal doesn't actually believe they need to rebuild. Weber is a piece of their core and they are not going to trade him. They believe they can compete.
    They just traded a mid 20s 30 goal scorer. They are nuts if they think they can compete right now

Page 48 of 56 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast