Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Best Bench

Best Bench

Since it appears that the Braves may have an embarrassment of riches in terms of position players, what should the bench look like?

I see:
    C (whoever isn't playing, but it's hard not to want to get Suzuki as many PAs as possible)
    Camargo
    Bautista?
    Tucker (if he cools down and Acuņa time happens)

If Tucker continued to be a Klesko-esque performer, I don't know who the OF bench player is, but I am not digging Bourjos. Definitely not Acuņa. If he's up, he's starting. I think the OF could sort itself next season over Markakis is a FA.

I have Culberson gone, and Flaherty starting. Ride the streak. Once/if he cools down to a point where he's average, then he's a good bench candidate.

Playing everyday and being a bench guy are two totally different things and it's very hard to be able to do both. Tucker might be a guy who needs to play every day to keep his bat going, alot of guys are like that.

AA said he's "optimistic [Bautista is] going to have an opportunity to come up" so I am going to assume, at least when he's called up, that Bautista will be given the first shot as our starting 3B. Soo:

C: whoever isn't starting
    Camargo
    Flaherty
    Tucker

I wonder if Markakis and Tucker could form a platoon. Tucker is hitting .111 vs lefties and .326 against righties early on. Markakis is hitting .350 and .269 respectively.
    2018 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Mike Hughes CB UCF
    Round 2: Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
    Round 5: Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
    Round 5: Daniel Carlson K Auburn
    Round 6: Colby Gossett G Appalachian State
    Round 6: Ade Aruna DE Tulane
    Round 7: Devante Downs LB California

It seems like the biggest question really is what to do with our outfield spot aside from Inciarte and Acuna. I think a platoon could work with Tucker and Markakis in left but they're not an ideal platoon duo though lol

Tucker is career .172/.206/.247/.453 vs lefties and as Vikings posted is hitting under that this year. So a Platoon with Markakis would not be a terrible thing. Markakis doesn't crush lefties but his split lines over the years are about even.

Would have to be creative with them, Markakis starts all games with LHP starters. Tucker comes out when they bring in a LHP RP. Stuff like that.

Inciarte has been the weakest OFer so far, but I agree that he's probably the last guy they'll shift to a part-time job once Acuna comes up. I've always been a bigger Markakis fan than most Braves fans but until Tucker falls flat I think we've got to keep him in there everyday. His bat is way too valuable right now, and he could turn into an everyday player long term - in which case the only real everyday hole we'll have next year is one corner OF spot.

If I were manager I'd play Acuna and Tucker everyday until one or both proves they don't deserve it, Inciarte and Markakis 3-4 times a week in a pseudo-platoon depending on who's hot and what kind of OF defense we want and using Inciarte as a defensive replacement every game and either one as our first PH.

IF I'd leave Flaherty as the starter until he proves he loses it. Maybe platoon him and Bautista if Bautista proves he deserves PT against lefties at least. Camargo as defensive replacement at 3B every game and first IF off the bench on rest days.

So with me assuming Bautista and Acuna come up, our bench is Bautista, Camargo, Suzuki, and Markakis with all 4 of those 'bench' players getting heavy PT. Hey it's a nice problem to have, especially with Albies and Swanson basically making it impossible to put them on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Tucker is career .172/.206/.247/.453 vs lefties and as Vikings posted is hitting under that this year. So a Platoon with Markakis would not be a terrible thing. Markakis doesn't crush lefties but his split lines over the years are about even.

Would have to be creative with them, Markakis starts all games with LHP starters. Tucker comes out when they bring in a LHP RP. Stuff like that.
    Yeah I think it could work, it's just not an ideal platoon is all. Would rather a lefty and a eighty platoon really, but if it got Acuna everyday at bats then I would be down for it.