Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think the only way they'd do something outside of a single game elimination is if they changed playoff games to just 2 quarters, maybe 2 20 minute quarters.

As a fan, I'd be intrigued by a best of 3 (kinda like how VeeRex said it) with each game only being 30-40 game minutes and only 2 quarters per. If you want to count the total minutes at most that'd be an extra game each series.

But then would the Super Bowl only be one 60 minute game? If not that'd completely depress the value of the super bowl

Also, you may be able to play the entire series in one week or at least like 10 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

This is nonsense, but wouldn't we all prefer it if the Super Bowl was best of three? Cut the preseason to two games, have three straight Super Bowl Sundays: one on each home field, winner-take-all Game 3 on a neutral site. Who would be opposed to that?
    POOP

Obviously, it's not possible. You can't play a football game every day (although the league seems to think so, with all the Thursday games {LOL}). And you can't play a series that could last seven weeks. It's been discussed here on PSD that the time between games would make football in the Olympics unfeasible as well (but I wouldn't want to see America beat up on Scottish and Australian guys, like when the NBA dream team would win games by 70 points).

Also, a series is not even necessary. Each game is so complicated and complex that each playoff game is basically a 4-out-of-7 series in itself.

I'm now going to bluntly point out the elephant in the room (if it hasn't been done earlier in this thread). Theoretically, if the NFL had a series-based playoff system, the Patriots would win the title every year. Even if they waited until Belichick and Brady retired, it might lead to dynasties too often.
    Last edited by MidwestJimmy; 04-23-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Unlike other team sports, the winner of the average football game is the same one that would likely win any possible 'series'.

We have an extended playoff setup. It's the regular season.
    One bad day by your qb, or one day of being out coached/schemed and your done. So its iffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnsanity View Post
    This is nonsense, but wouldn't we all prefer it if the Super Bowl was best of three? Cut the preseason to two games, have three straight Super Bowl Sundays: one on each home field, winner-take-all Game 3 on a neutral site. Who would be opposed to that?
    I do. I don't think football should be played in series.

The only thing I could see maaaaybe work is a best of 3 Super Bowl. But it will never happen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Imagine the concussion issues in a best of 7 situation.

The only way this series idea could work is maybe in Madden Football. But that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    I'd recommend European soccer instead, where the richest clubs sign the most skilled players and win almost every year, e.g. Real Madrid.
    No salary cap is kind of the opposite of skill.

The NBA already fills the spot for people who want super teams and no parity.
    First 4 years:
    Brown - 54 GP, 27 GS, 261 catches (63.3%) for 3,561 yds (8.6 AVG), 15 TD
    Landry - 64 GP, 57 GS, 400 catches (70.2%) for 4,038 yds (10.1 AVG), 22 TD

Huh. Wonder why Landry is getting paid so much...

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Bullseyed
    First 4 years:

Antonio Brown has to face #1 CBs. Landry is mostly a slot guy, so he's usually playing against #3 CBs.

It would be awesome if it was possible. It sucks it's not

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Unlike other team sports, the winner of the average football game is the same one that would likely win any possible 'series'.

We have an extended playoff setup. It's the regular season.
    Everyone has a regular season last time I checked

First part of what you said is bogus too

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
    Antonio Brown has to face #1 CBs. Landry is mostly a slot guy, so he's usually playing against #3 CBs.
    Pretty sure Brown wasn't facing the #1 CB when he was the #3 WR on the Steelers.

Try again.
    First 4 years:

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Player safety issues are in the fore front of the nfl these days and I can't see the players association going for more play off games to be played at all.

Part of the charm of the NFL is the one and done playoff format. Every minute of a playoff game is critically important. I like the best of one format.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast