Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What if the NFL in the next few yrs decided to do a 7 game format in the PO's?

Before anyone here calls me an idiot or says how stupid I am for mentioning this would you as an NFL fan or even a sports fan be open to the NFL going to a best of 7 game format like the other three professional sports in the Playoffs including the Super Bowl? This is never gonna happen but just something I've always wanted to ask. Please Discuss but please try to keep it friendly and respectful.

Out of respect, I'll let Garrison post for me.

https://youtu.be/x-rGhMQn9Ls

Players are pissed off at the possibility of a 18 game season, don't like Thursday games, and you're essentially asking if they would be open to making the postseason longer than the regular season.

Dude,

https://youtu.be/8c7U5pyKh0E

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Out of respect, I'll let Garrison post for me.

https://youtu.be/x-rGhMQn9Ls

Players are pissed off at the possibility of a 18 game season, don't like Thursday games, and you're essentially asking if they would be open to making the postseason longer than the regular season.

Dude,

https://youtu.be/8c7U5pyKh0E
    But what if they get rid of the pre season? And still keep the season at 16 games? Would that make a difference
    but like I said we all know the NFL will never do this and I hope they don't. BTW did you refer to me as stupid? Just wanna double check here.
    Last edited by BSF101; 04-19-2018 at 03:45 AM.

I'm sure you're not a stupid person. I was poking fun. If I'm infracted for it, so be it. Let's think this through though.

There are wild card rounds, divisional rounds, conference championships, and then the Super Bowl. At minimum, you are suggesting adding 12 more weeks to the season. Even if they eliminate the preseason that is 8 more weeks. The players complain about the short week with Thursdays so they would never agree to play multiple games per week. And the players salaries aren't going to increase. There are myriad other reasons this will never happen but that should be sufficient.

It's like asking what if the Super Bowl was played on Mars. Sure, it might be possible, but it's not going to happen.

Unlike other team sports, the winner of the average football game is the same one that would likely win any possible 'series'.

We have an extended playoff setup. It's the regular season.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by BSF101 View Post
    But what if they get rid of the pre season? And still keep the season at 16 games? Would that make a difference
    but like I said we all know the NFL will never do this and I hope they don't. BTW did you refer to me as stupid? Just wanna double check here.
    You asked if fans would like a best of 7 superbowl. He replied that the players wouldn't like it.

Why listen or respond to someone who can't answer simple questions?
    First 4 years:
    Brown - 54 GP, 27 GS, 261 catches (63.3%) for 3,561 yds (8.6 AVG), 15 TD
    Landry - 64 GP, 57 GS, 400 catches (70.2%) for 4,038 yds (10.1 AVG), 22 TD

Huh. Wonder why Landry is getting paid so much...

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

a 3 game series would be doable if they lowered the total teams in the playoffs to 8.

that's about the closet way this would ever be possible.

even then it would be unlikely.
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    It's different now than it was.

When he won the second one, Giants fans are here we're outside of their minds.
    That quote always cracks me up.

Would be pretty ridiculous, IMO. Football takes more of a toll on the body, and as SiteWolf said, the winner of an average football game is usually the better team (compared to other sports). Firm no from me.

However, if I were to entertain the idea, then I'd set forth these rules:

TEAM A and TEAM B

If TEAM A wins by 7 or less points, then a 2nd game must be played. If TEAM A wins the 2nd game, they advance. If TEAM B wins the 2nd game (doesn't matter by how much), a 3rd game is played and winner advances.

Of course, the preseason would have to be severely reduced/eliminated and playoffs extended.

That's the MOST I would do with it. Best of 7 would be ridiculous, so my idea would basically be a conditional best of 3 format.
    LeBron's taking out teams and collecting his infinity stones.

Seems pretty straightforward for fans.

If you like watching football, the answer is yes, we want more playoff football.

If you don't like watching football, the answer is no, please, no more football. Especially not competitive, high stakes football.

It isn't super realistic for changes to happen to the playoff format though. The NFL isn't structured for games that regularly, and drawing it out over multiple weeks would cut down on the impact of a multi-game series.
    First 4 years:
    Brown - 54 GP, 27 GS, 261 catches (63.3%) for 3,561 yds (8.6 AVG), 15 TD
    Landry - 64 GP, 57 GS, 400 catches (70.2%) for 4,038 yds (10.1 AVG), 22 TD

Huh. Wonder why Landry is getting paid so much...

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

7 game format in the playoffs? Holy ****.. The playoffs would be like 5-6 months long!

I love football, but that's too much.. The players would all be dead at the end of the playoffs and the superbowl would be played by 3rd stringers because everybody else would be hurt.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Your baby can't do this

Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    If you like watching football, the answer is yes, we want more playoff football.
    Single-elimination playoffs are much more exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by BSF101 View Post
    I mean, you're suggesting keeping the regular season at 16 games. That, right there is 4 1/2 months long. Then (if we are following mlbs format for wild card games it will be a 1 game playoff). Divisional round, conference championship, and super bowl could all go 7 games so that could add an additional 5 months at most and 3 months at the least. So that's 8 months at the very least of straight football and 10 months at most. Then you have to consider that advertisements and sponsors like about a month between the conference championship and the super bowl, so that's 9 months for the football season at the very least and 11 months at most.

As a football fan, I think this would be a bit too much tbh. For the players, they could be potentially playing 2 1/2 seasons worth of football, that increases the likelihood of injuries quite a bit so more backups would play instead of the players that we want to see. Plus, I think the players would need much more time for the offseason to recover from injuries and prepare for the next season.

Your baby can't do this

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Single-elimination playoffs are much more exciting.
    I agree.. I'm all for more football, but I really don't like the idea of a 7 game format.. Single elimination is better. I don't even think I'd like a best of 3 format tbh. It'd be too much football, and much higher chance for our favorite players being injured. I like the "win or go home" current format

Your baby can't do this

Why stop there? Give us an 82 game regular season.

The return... 2018-19

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast