Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    This is similar to a question I was asked by my religious friend "If you think you're so much better at designing things that you can question God, tell me how you would make a better world?"

to which I replied "I'd make the exact same world as we live in right now except there would be no cancer".
    My mother died of cancer at the age of 37 (I was 10), and watching what I remember of how horrible it was for her, I concur. It was the beginning of the end of any religion for me.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Jesus is magic. Therefore sure.

Trying to science up religion is not the way to go. Science is one thing. Religion another. One need not know something is scientifically possible for an infinite all powerful being to do that thing.
    It's the old, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing sort of thing.

You can't have religion and science together. Science basically just constantly disprove religion.

Believe what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    My mother died of cancer at the age of 37 (I was 10), and watching what I remember of how horrible it was for her, I concur. It was the beginning of the end of any religion for me.
    Sorry for your loss.

Been there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Sorry for your loss.
    Thanks. The saddest part for me now is that I barely remember the good times with her in part because of how bad the ending was (wasn’t any better, by the way, when my older sister succumbed to cancer at the age of 51).

Cancer sucks, and if cancer is part of “God’s plan”, I reject both the plan and the God. I’ll put my trust in the expectation that science will prevail in this arena.

Thanks. The saddest part for me now is that I barely remember the good times with her in part because of how bad the ending was (wasn’t any better, by the way, when my older sister succumbed to cancer at the age of 51).

Cancer sucks, and if cancer is part of “God’s plan”, I reject both the plan and the God. I’ll put my trust in the expectation that science will prevail in this arena.
    Oh geez. Wasn't too long ago my sister fought and won her bout with breast cancer. She's been in remission for more than 10 years now. My life would be unbearable without her. Ironically, she now swears at medical science and is quick to adopt the ideas of pseudo science and conspiracy theories about pharma companies. But hey, after her battle, she's entitled, i think.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Man, that's ******. 46 for my father when I was 16. ****ing cancer. He even told me not to take the bible literally, it's just stories to teach people morals. Hard to believe after that.

That must have been a rough experience

I'm very curious that why would a negative incident lead you to not believing in God, if you don't mind sharing your thoughts I'm very curious to hear

Like I've seen messed up stuff and it's made me angry at God, but it never crossed my mind that this must mean God is false, I don't really follow the reasoning...
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post

I'm very curious that why would a negative incident lead you to not believing in God, if you don't mind sharing your thoughts I'm very curious to hear

Like I've seen messed up stuff and it's made me angry at God, but it never crossed my mind that this must mean God is false, I don't really follow the reasoning...
    From an atheist ‘s perspective, there’s no difference from a God that doesn’t act vs a God that doesn’t exist. Occam’s razor leads us to conclude the latter.

Is the Virgin Birth Scientifically Impossible

I can’t speak for him but he said it was the “beginning” as if it was the first of many steps.

Here’s the thing, I don’t reject God actually, but I do reject how Christians and Muslims define God. I think this is where atheists start. We reject your God but some of say, “existence is mysterious.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dugmet; 06-09-2018 at 11:19 PM.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    From an atheist ‘s perspective, there’s no difference from a God that doesn’t act vs a God that doesn’t exist. Occam’s razor leads us to conclude the latter.
    So experiencing hardship is an anti God quality? Experiencing hardship is where you expect that God would (should) come in and start exerting influence?

Why that? Why not expect him to come in and stop good times too?

I don't buy your statement, because you do not say the same thing regarding galaxies billions of light years away..

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

So experiencing hardship is an anti God quality? Experiencing hardship is where you expect that God would (should) come in and start exerting influence?

Why that? Why not expect him to come in and stop good times too?

I don't buy your statement, because you do not say the same thing regarding galaxies billions of light years away..
    Hardship? Don’t put words in my mouth. I said there is no difference between God choosing not to help vs God not being around to help.

There’s no evidence God has ever intervened to stop any tragedy. So rather than make excuses why God disappears seemingly when we need him the most, we just go with the idea the God isn’t around because he doesn’t exist, period.

Simple stuff, no?

He doesn’t intervene if good, bad, or indifferent times. He NEVER seems to be around. That’s why we believe he doesn’t exist.

Hardship? Don’t put words in my mouth. I said there is no difference between God choosing not to help vs God not being around to help.

There’s no evidence God has ever intervened to stop any tragedy. So rather than make excuses why God disappears seemingly when we need him the most, we just go with the idea the God isn’t around because he doesn’t exist, period.

Simple stuff, no?
    I'm not putting words in your mouth, I'm simply following a conversation which you joined, and that seemed to be the premise of the original point which I originally responded to.

If you didn't post with that premise in mind, then what was the point of your post?

He doesn’t intervene if good, bad, or indifferent times. He NEVER seems to be around. That’s why we believe he doesn’t exist.
    How would he "be around"?

Caped crusader jumping out of the sky?

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast