Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Same could be said of science. For example... The invention of artificial means to create ammonia was crucial in feeding the world.... It was also used to blow people to smithereens.

As a scientist, I find it funny when people stick a flag in the ground, (usually non scientists) and say this is the only way we can know anything. When most scientists have a hard time saying what we actually know from science.
    Very fair point.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

I'm not sure if already discussed here. Christianity is not the first religion whose main divine figure was birthed of a virgin mother. Most notably is Horus of Egypt and there are several others.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    I'm not sure if already discussed here. Christianity is not the first religion whose main divine figure was birthed of a virgin mother. Most notably is Horus of Egypt and there are several others.
    This is accurate, and I’m guessing it’s one of the reasons that the early Christians used this “miraculous” birth as a way to connect with communities that would have been receptive to the idea (or in some cases would have demanded it of their deities).

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    On the macro, human reproduction is no more or less meaningful than reproduction for any live organism, plant or animal (or virus, fungus, whatever). It’s what we do.
    .”
    I know, EVERYTHING has this drive, that's why I said that. Everything does whatever is necessary to reproduce. It's why I respect something like a plant growing through concrete so much. Sometimes I'll just sit there and look at it, and think to myself, that's how I need to be. In some ways I already am
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    It depends on how you're using the word purpose, I suppose. Healthy human beings, all life forms, really, include the capability to reproduce. You're right, it's kind of what we do, unless we choose not to. To your point, though, we also breath. So I suppose reproducing is no more a purpose than breathing.

Carry on.
    Breathing is required to reproduce. So is eating.

For humans at least.
    Last edited by nastynice; 05-13-2018 at 07:34 PM.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Breathing is required to reproduce. So is eating.

For humans at least.
    If no one reproduced, you wouldn’t be eating or breathing. So maybe the purpose of reproducing is so folks like you can eat.

See how that works? Pretty arbitrary, huh?

If no one reproduced, you wouldn’t be eating or breathing. So maybe the purpose of reproducing is so folks like you can eat.

See how that works? Pretty arbitrary, huh?
    lol, what?

Any given person can eat and breathe until the end. Reproduction is not necessary to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    lol, what?

Any given person can eat and breathe until the end. Reproduction is not necessary to do that.
    No? If your parents didn’t reproduce, you wouldn’t be able to eat or breathe. Your purpose therefore is to eat and breathe. Everyone’s purpose is to eat and breathe.

And while technically your parents could have reproduced without your eating or breathing, they would not have been able to see the fruits of their efforts other than maybe on a sonogram or an x-ray.

One can choose whether to reproduce but one can not avoid his true purpose: eating and breathing.

We can do this all day.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 05-14-2018 at 10:03 AM.

One can choose whether to reproduce but one can not avoid his true purpose: eating and breathing.
    And sleeping? I’m not quite up on my biology, but I think we have to sleep.

In any event, we are right back to our definitions.

Eating, breathing, sleeping, et al may constitute our purpose and may be essential to our very existence, but do they actually provide a meaning to life?
    Last edited by Crovash; 05-14-2018 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    And sleeping? I’m not quite up on my biology, but I think we have to sleep.

In any event, we are right back to our definitions.

Eating, breathing, sleeping, et al may constitute our purpose and may be essential to our very existence, but do they actually provide a meaning to life?
    Well, I "Slept" with my girlfriend all this weekend and without going into too much detail, there was tons of meaning in that.

And last year i had a steak at Peter Luger's and enjoyed a medium rare cut of "meaning."

Examples of meaningful breathing might be a little tougher to illustrate.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 05-14-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Well, I "Slept" with my girlfriend all this weekend and without going into too much detail, there was tons of meaning in that.

And last year i had a steak at Peter Luger's and enjoyed a medium rare cut of "meaning?'

Examples of meaningful breathing might be a little tougher to illustrate.
    Depends on what you are inhaling

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Depends on what you are inhaling
    Exceptionally fair point.

Exceptionally fair point.
    So, let me get this right: If I drink a nice vintage bottle of red wine to go along with my juicy NY sirloin steak, then go smoke a couple of doobies, and “sleep” with my wife (yeah, I’m still okay with that), I have made my life meaningful?

Sounds good to me.

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    No? If your parents didn’t reproduce, you wouldn’t be able to eat or breathe. Your purpose therefore is to eat and breathe. Everyone’s purpose is to eat and breathe.

And while technically your parents could have reproduced without your eating or breathing, they would not have been able to see the fruits of their efforts other than maybe on a sonogram or an x-ray.

We can do this all day.
    Yeah but it would be boring and his way of thinking makes way more sense than your counter.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Yeah but it would be boring and his way of thinking makes way more sense than your counter.
    I'll concede the boring. That was kind of my point.

But the "makes way more sense" is purely subjective. I'm sure you believe reproduction as an inherent purpose makes more sense than eating-drinking-breathing as our combined purpose. Doesn't make it so. Also, why are you assuming that our inherent purpose must be something that makes sense to you?

Also, there would have to be many more than two choices. And after all possible choices are listed in our multiple choice offering, the last three choices must be "None of the above," "All of the Above," and "There is no inherent purpose."

Do you still think what makes sense to you is relevant in this question?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast