Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

What did we learn?

Let's talk about what we learned this past season about our team moving forward.

You can talk about each individual player, positional groups, or the team as a whole.

So what did you learn about this team in 2017-18?

“Maybe one of these days I won't fail ” - Clayton Kershaw following Dodgers World Series loss

Here are my player grades/thoughts for the season. I based the grades on the players' roles and my expectations for them.

Fox: A-
    He looks like he can be a stud in this league. He quickly took over the starting PG from George Hill and played well for a rookie. He looks like he can be a team leader. He still needs to work on his shot and improve on decision making, but I think he'll be a star sooner than later.

Mason: A-
    Mason played well this season. Expectations aren't that high for a second round pick, so he exceeded my expectations. Like Fox, he needs to work on his decision making. He looks like he can be a quality backup PG.

Bogi: A
    Bogi was better than advertised and he came in with some hype surrounding him. He's a playmaker, a knockdown shooter, and solid team defender. I love his basketball IQ.

Buddy: B
    Buddy down the stretch of the season would have gotten an A, but he didn't get out of the gate that strong. His development throughout the season was impressive. He became a better passer and a tenacious on-ball defender. At the very least, Buddy will be a solid starting two guard - he can also be more.

Temple: B
    Temple was Temple this season. Played good defense, knocked down some shots, made smart basketball plays. I hope he opts in this season.

Jackson: C-
    Jackson had a good opportunity this season as we didn't have a lot of other options at SF. He never quite took advantage of the opportunity. I haven't given up on him though. He has a high basketball IQ. He needs to become a better defender and needs to start knocking down his shots - especially behind the arc. He can be a solid role player.

Vince: A-
    I loved seeing Vince on the team. He seemed like a good mentor for our young guys. Also, it was awesome to see Vince get the occasional dunk.

Caboclo: D
    Still two years away from being two years away.

Sampson: A-
    He was fun to watch. He always played hard. If he can develop a consistent outside shot, he can find a place in the league.

Z-Bo: B-
    I thought Zach was solid for us. At this point in his career, he's probably best served as a scorer off the bench. Like Vince, he was probably a good mentor for our young guys. His defense is pretty weak and he can be a black hole at times.

Skal: C-
    I had high hopes for Skal going into the season. I thought he would solidify himself as our starting PF going forward. I think inconsistent playing time hurt him. He definitely needs to continue to get stronger.

Cooley: B+
    Jon Brockman came back to us. He was pretty fun to watch.

WCS: C
    WCS is still really inconsistent. His offensive game has grown, but there were still games where he'd disappear offensively. I really wish he'd focus more on defense and rebounding. He needs to see the contract that Clint Capela signs this summer and then adjust his game accordingly.

Kosta: B
    Kosta is a solid veteran back-up. He knows his role and he plays within himself.

Overall: B-
    The season pretty much went how I expected. We weren't very good, but we saw some development from our young guys. The team played hard and they seemed to get along. I wish we would have tanked a little harder down the stretch and got a better pick.

Going forward, our backcourt looks like it's in good hands. Our frontcourt still has a lot of question marks. I think we definitely need to go and find another SF. Jackson has the potential to be a solid role player at SF, but he didn't show enough to make me confident in him being a starter next year. Our PF is another big question mark. I would prefer to have Z-Bo come off the bench, but I think he'll begin next season as our starter. I still think that Skal can be a player, but he needs to work over the summer. I'm also excited about Giles, but I'm tempering my expectations for him for next season. I hope that WCS can take a big step forward next year. Despite his flaws, you can see the development he has made since his rookie year. Kosta will continue to be a solid back-up.

I'm excited to see what we do in the off-season. We definitely need to hit on this draft (Dear NBA, please hook us up with a top-2 pick). We also need to acquire another starter for our frontcourt - whether that be through free agency or a trade.
    Last edited by Agent008; 04-15-2018 at 06:17 PM.

I think basically we have 2 starters going forward. Fox and Bogdanovich.

I see Hield as a sixth man. His size limits him as a starter at SG and he doesn't seem to have PG skills. I am also leary of players who excel at the end of the season, history is littered with players who excelled at the end of the season (and faltered the next season) when lot of teams are playing summer league quality squads, players banged up from playing all season long, and playoff teams resting players.

WCS needs to develop a outside shot. He just doesn't have the size to play against the better centers. He needs to develop PF skills or he will be a man without a position.

Skal needs to bulk up. His problems in my opinion stem from his lack of bulk.

Frank Mason has PG skills. He could develop into a good backup PG who could be good enough to start.

Jackson. Could be a solid 3 and D guy in the style of Ariza.

Sampson and Cooley- lifetime G league quality players. Sampson is a poor man Faried
    Last edited by Plague; 04-15-2018 at 09:14 PM.

For now, I agree that we have two definite future starters (Fox and Bogi). If we didn't have Bogi, I'd feel comfortable with Buddy as a starter. Unfortunately, neither has the size to play SF.

I do think WCS, Skal, Jackson, and (from what I've read) Giles have potential to be starters down the road. They probably won't all pan out, but I think the talent is there for each of them. Hopefully one or two of them step up.

Here's a few things that I learned (excluding the vets because we've seen enough of them):

- Fox: is extremely confident and will be this team's "closer" for years to come.

- Mason: needs to play under control a bit more. Seemed like he would miss a lot of shots at the rim because he was moving too recklessly.

- Buddy: is more than a one trick pony. When engaged he's an excellent defender and even showed some flashes of play-making ability.

- Bogdanovic: I still think he's the best player on the team. I learned that he can be another ball handler on the floor because of his vision/play-making ability.

- Jackson: I learned that he needs to be more consistent. There was too many games when he looked either bad or invisible. But, I do think he can be a nice backup SF for a long time.

- Skal: I learned that Joerger hates him. Oh and he needs to bulk up and not be so hesitant on his jumpshots. It seemed like he would often dribble into a more difficult shot than just take the shot that the defense initially gives him. However, we saw him become more of a stretch four which is nice. So we learned that he can shoot with some efficiency from the outside.

- WCS: I learned that he thinks he has the offensive upside of Kristaps Porzingis.

- Giles: This is all hearsay but I learned that he can be the best passing big man the Kings have had since Webber/Vlade. I also learned that the Kings really think he'll be a superstar.

- Sampson & Cooley: Great teammates who always bring non stop energy. They're both extremely limited but also know their limits and know how to contribute.

- Caboclo: Pretty damning that he couldn't play given the need at SF.

Guards: Will be this team's strength moving forward.

Forwards: Still need a starting SF and desperately need Skal (Or Giles?) to seize PF.

Centers: Save us Harry Giles, you're our only hope. Probably need to find a long term answer because I'm still not sold on WCS.

“Maybe one of these days I won't fail ” - Clayton Kershaw following Dodgers World Series loss

Here's what i learned, i guess my version of what i saw in the Kings.
    All grades are for roles they have or should have.

Sampson: C+ - fantastic guy if he is on the end of your bench.

Cooley: C - same as above

Caboclo: D - who cares, see you later

Mason: C- he was the most dissappointing King to me this year, he started off so strong. Then he came back from being injured and the only reason i wanted him in was so that, we could tank harder.

Giles - incomplete

WCS - C+ Can you please learn how to rebound so i can give you a B+ please? Also he needs to get stronger in general, i don't know how many times I have seen him loose the ball on sure dunks because of a small foul.

Skal - D+ i love Skal but he has a ways to go. At first i thought it was Joerger holding him back, but in the end i think we found out Skal is just not ready for what he was going to be asked to do. Skal doesn't use his athleticism to his advantage every play, he should be blowing pass people for dunk after dunk. I am not saying he wont or is not capable of being a very good player, he just didn't take the leap that I was looking for.

Jackson - D basically will never be a star, so that means he better hit his open shots and he better play at least good defense. Nough said.

Bogdanovic - B good talent, he will always be a border line star type of player. I am glad that we have him.

Fox - B fox in every one's mind will be the future of the Kings, he is so good iso and in the clutch. Keep working Mr. Fox, keep working.

Heild - B+ Hield is our best player right now IMO. He is a consistent scorer, he is now creating for more than for himself, what a welcomed site to behold! He became a defender some times this season. So now we have a 2-way player, i hope nezt year he can become a 2-way star. He is a 6th man, yes but that's because he has to have the ball in his hand and you just have to turn him loose. He is not a Joerger system guy, that's for sure, but if he gets any better Joerger better adapt to Buddy.

Vets:
    I don't care about them too much, They all are quality guys on a bench, not as starters.

Carter: C+
    Z-Bo: C+
    Temple: C+
    KK: C+
    Last edited by sneak; 04-16-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Also i have learned we have 3 people on this team that can stay and contribute next season.

Starting
    Pg - Fox
    Sg - Bogdanovic
    6th man - Hield
    And of course Giles will get a chance to see what he can do.

That's it. I can see Willie, Skal, Mason Jackson, or any other random traded to move up in the draft.

That's pretty bad... 3 guys and a guy who has never played before being the core, but i guess that it still better than Cousins, Gay, and Rondo, with no future in site.we better hit gold in the draft and sign a very good free agent and hope that our team options and to opt out. Iman stated that he is staying, and with what he is supposed to make next year, i don't blame him. I am not expecting much, but anything will be a positive. Damn i thought that was a stupid trade. Vlade!

Quote Originally Posted by sneak View Post
    Also i have learned we have 3 people on this team that can stay and contribute next season.

Starting
    Pg - Fox
    Sg - Bogdanovic
    6th man - Hield
    And of course Giles will get a chance to see what he can do.

That's it. I can see Willie, Skal, Mason Jackson, or any other random traded to move up in the draft.

That's pretty bad... 3 guys and a guy who has never played before being the core, but i guess that it still better than Cousins, Gay, and Rondo, with no future in site.we better hit gold in the draft and sign a very good free agent and hope that our team options and to opt out. Iman stated that he is staying, and with what he is supposed to make next year, i don't blame him. I am not expecting much, but anything will be a positive. Damn i thought that was a stupid trade. Vlade!
    Still too early to give up on Jackson and Skal. WCS is at least a rotational big. Hopefully he can take another step forward next season.

I wonder if we trade Bogi or Buddy this off-season. I really like both of them, but maybe we trade one to fill a frontcourt position.

Kayte’s pregnant, expecting a boy.

Bye Jerry. Hi Doug.

10. 04-17-2018, 02:22 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Agent008 View Post
    Still too early to give up on Jackson and Skal. WCS is at least a rotational big. Hopefully he can take another step forward next season.

I wonder if we trade Bogi or Buddy this off-season. I really like both of them, but maybe we trade one to fill a frontcourt position.
    Do you know what Willie is going to make as a free agent? I am thinking 15 million. I am not willing to give him that. 7.5 is fine, 15... that's crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by sneak View Post
    Do you know what Willie is going to make as a free agent? I am thinking 15 million. I am not willing to give him that. 7.5 is fine, 15... that's crazy!
    It depends on who we draft this summer and if Willie makes another leap in his development. If we draft a center, I'm okay with trading Willie. If not, would you bet on the Kings being able to sign a center better than Willie? I don't think we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent008 View Post
    It depends on who we draft this summer and if Willie makes another leap in his development. If we draft a center, I'm okay with trading Willie. If not, would you bet on the Kings being able to sign a center better than Willie? I don't think we can.
    Centers don't win games... aka Cousins. I would not be happy signing Willie to more than 7.5m. We could stick with KK for 7m and i would be fine with that as long as our other positions are good and looking to be great. Willie juat ia not a strong rebounder as a center if yoy can't rebound you just aren't worth that much anyway.