Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

The Marlins disaster continues

So the Marlins are in complete shambles in the public eye right now. It first started at the beginning of the season, where word broke that the (in)famous Marlins Man, who battled with the Marlins and Jeter all off-season about putting a winner on the field, had his season ticket offer turned down, which was $200,000 for three seasons. This actually got the Marlins to release a statement saying that they attempted to negotiate for the ticket price, including sending their ticket sale director to his office.

Following that, it was said that the ticket director was let go from his job. This follows the actor of Billy the Marlin and other long-term staffers who were terminated by the new ownership group.

Now Marlins Man and a Florida media personality uncovered that the Marlins "team headquarters" location is in the British Virgin Isles. And it's not even a building of any kind, but a post office box.

IAlso provided by Deadspin was a quote from Derek Jeter where he said he was expecting his team to find more ways to win games. As if taking 20-plus WAR off the top of the roster and not adding anyone noteworthy as replacements is going to help that.

They also have the worst attendance by far. Opening Day saw them attract 25,000, but since then, I imagine they've struggled to break 8,000. They averaged 6500 with the Mets in their latest series, and that is a team that has a national following. Their 12,000-ish average attendance has them 3,000 behind the second-worst team, and this would be a quarter of the average attendance for the Dodgers.

I lived through the dark ages as an Orioles fan, which is what we call the time from 2000-2011. With the exception of Opening Day, you knew that Camden Yards was going to hold sparse crowds except for the Yankees and Red Sox. They still managed to draw decent numbers in the end. The Marlins don't even have a great stadium like Camden Yards going for them either. At this point, it has to just be visiting fans and ballhawks attending games there. We had bad ownership- and still have bad ownership- but it was not this bad, and for the Marlins, it is this bad, this early.

Is there any way that the Marlins ownership group can salvage their relationship with the fans who aren't coming anymore? That's the base they've had for years despite everything with Loria, and to chase them off this quickly is very concerning.

Also for reference, here are the Deadspin articles:

Jeter and Attendance- https://deadspin.com/owner-who-sold-...tea-1825258743

Virgin Islands Post Office- https://deadspin.com/marlins-man-vis...-fi-1825266414

Derek Jeter saying he expects the Marlins to win more games is hilarious. The roster sucks aside from a handful of players and they play in a division that's much better than they are around them. As for their business dealings, I'm sure the Marlins will cut corners until they have successive years where they are profitable. They have to make back on their 1.5 billion dollar investment.

Anyways, I'm still not sold that if they put together a competitive franchise that fans will come in droves but for now, they're ****ed. No one is coming to see a team that will win 60 games.

Shady **** like having your team office be a PO Box overseas is so very Marlins btw.

Marlins man is a chump and of course the team is a disaster right now. No one should expect otherwise.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Move them to Havana in 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

I find it hard to believe that Jeterís sole intent of buying the Marlins was to suck money out of the system and not try to win. It just doesnít seem like his personality.

I think heís trying to break the team down to nothing and completely severe ties with the old team. I think he wants to build the team from scratch so it can be 100% his team. Not saying I agree with his tactics and he didnít get a great return on the players he moved but I m guessing he plans to suck for a few year and build the farm and the bank account to try and be the 1998-2009 Yankees of Miami.

My guess is that Jeter has business partners that want to turn a profit.

Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Marlins suck but honestly, theyíre not as bad as the Rays.

I prefer teams to break down their rosters if theyíre not going to be competitive. I laughed at teams like the Royals, Orioles, Padres and lesser extent the Giants when they try hard to be competitive despite the deck being stacked against them.

Royals kept their big three instead of trading them then traded specs for a guy like Cahill I believe

The Orioles have made me facepalm since the day they extended Chris Davis. I thought the Cobb deal was terrible and that the team as a whole is trash outside of a few bullpen arms and a decent middle part of the lineup. Bundy looks really good this year but the Oís arenít making the playoffs. Had they sold off some pieces like Machado - they could get a head start on mkkng their team competitive again but once he leaves, what do you have to show for it besides a stupid QO?

Padres just because Preller has been a nutjob since the Upton and Kimbrel trade and the Hosmer deal will rival Chris Davis for one of the worst contracts handed out in a while.

Either way, all of these teams are better than the Rays. The Rays donít want a 4th or 5th starter because they canít afford one and what baffles me more is how they traded Odorizzi and didnít even attempt to fill his spot...that team is a joke.

Pirates are similar but contrary to other teams, I think theyíre better this year than they were last. Moran and Musgrove could potentially replicate McCutchen and Coleís production...both guys needed a change of scenery imo

With the Marlins, at least they have some solid specs coming up through the wings and on the ML roster. From a business standpoint, it made way more sense for them to sell. They got decent players back in Andersen, Brinson, etc. At least theyíre not hampered by mega deals like some teams. But as expected, when your ML team sucks, you canít realistically expect people to show up. I think Jeter has been treated a bit unfairly by the media especially when the Rays and Athletics are still a thing.

Anyway, teams rebuild. I donít understand the scrutiny behind Jeter when teams do this **** all the time. I donít see anybody complaining about the Tigers or White Sox lol

Marlins rebuild = bad
    Sox/Tigers rebuild = good?

I remember tens of posters going nuts about how they loved what the White Sox were doing but the fish were doing the same except with Stantonís albatross contezct.

What Jeter and Co. have done to that franchise is so ****ing horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Marlins suck but honestly, theyíre not as bad as the Rays.

I prefer teams to break down their rosters if theyíre not going to be competitive. I laughed at teams like the Royals, Orioles, Padres and lesser extent the Giants when they try hard to be competitive despite the deck being stacked against them.

Royals kept their big three instead of trading them then traded specs for a guy like Cahill I believe

The Orioles have made me facepalm since the day they extended Chris Davis. I thought the Cobb deal was terrible and that the team as a whole is trash outside of a few bullpen arms and a decent middle part of the lineup. Bundy looks really good this year but the Oís arenít making the playoffs. Had they sold off some pieces like Machado - they could get a head start on mkkng their team competitive again but once he leaves, what do you have to show for it besides a stupid QO?

Padres just because Preller has been a nutjob since the Upton and Kimbrel trade and the Hosmer deal will rival Chris Davis for one of the worst contracts handed out in a while.

Either way, all of these teams are better than the Rays. The Rays donít want a 4th or 5th starter because they canít afford one and what baffles me more is how they traded Odorizzi and didnít even attempt to fill his spot...that team is a joke.

Pirates are similar but contrary to other teams, I think theyíre better this year than they were last. Moran and Musgrove could potentially replicate McCutchen and Coleís production...both guys needed a change of scenery imo

With the Marlins, at least they have some solid specs coming up through the wings and on the ML roster. From a business standpoint, it made way more sense for them to sell. They got decent players back in Andersen, Brinson, etc. At least theyíre not hampered by mega deals like some teams. But as expected, when your ML team sucks, you canít realistically expect people to show up. I think Jeter has been treated a bit unfairly by the media especially when the Rays and Athletics are still a thing.

Anyway, teams rebuild. I donít understand the scrutiny behind Jeter when teams do this **** all the time. I donít see anybody complaining about the Tigers or White Sox lol

Marlins rebuild = bad
    Sox/Tigers rebuild = good?

I remember tens of posters going nuts about how they loved what the White Sox were doing but the fish were doing the same except with Stantonís albatross contezct.
    The Tigers and Sox have shown a propensity to spend though. The Tigers had a stretch where they were one of the best teams in the AL for almost a decade. The White Sox will spend when they are done rebuilding. The Marlins just blow it up every 5 years or so when the team becomes too expensive for them to turn a profit or at least they claim.

Its okay to rebuild. What's not okay is perpetually being a low end payroll then expecting fans to come out when you are constantly selling off your best players, especially when there are so many revenue streams (sharing or otherwise) to build a contender.

Yup. Before, the Fish were probably a few pitching signings away from being contenders with a very solid young core in place. Boils down to the new ownership just not wanting to spend on extra payroll in addition to Jeter wanting to sever ties with everyone/everything involved with the Marlins past. Selfish, but who cares. It's the Marlins, right?

Quote Originally Posted by HandsOnTheWheel View Post
    Yup. Before, the Fish were probably a few pitching signings away from being contenders with a very solid young core in place. Boils down to the new ownership just not wanting to spend on extra payroll in addition to Jeter wanting to sever ties with everyone/everything involved with the Marlins past. Selfish, but who cares. It's the Marlins, right?
    Yeah Jose Fernandez's death was devastating for that franchise but they still had a really nice core in place even with his passing. I understand their rotation wasn't very good but other teams would have looked to build on that core, not sell it off entirely.
    Last edited by metswon69; 04-15-2018 at 10:36 AM.

Its been sad to see what the Marlins fans have had to go thru the last decade. The loyal folks truly deserve better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    What Jeter and Co. have done to that franchise is so ****ing horrible.

Jester cares too much about his legacy to not have a long term plan that includes winning and spending some money. Loriís was a cheap money sucker, I think Jeter deserves a little time before he earns that title.

Move. To. Montreal.

Keep. Punching Bags. There.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast