Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Speed

Game Speed

Get rid of the bullpen. Put it under the stadium with the batting cages. The relievers would be in the dugout, no more phone calls to the bullpen or attempting to steal signs. Plus they would only have to walk from the dugout to the mound, instead of from the outfield (most stadiums).

What other ideas are out there to speed up games.......

How would moving the bullpens or no bullpen phone calls speed up the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    How would moving the bullpens or no bullpen phone calls speed up the game?
    I think OP is suggesting that having the bullpen and dugout separate is dumb and that putting them together would save time when the reliever is running from the outfield to the mound when he could instead run out to the field from the dugout. The relievers would then warm up inside the dugout area where the batting cage is.

My issue is, whatís the difference from having a reliever come in from wherever the batting cages would be located opposed to him running straight in from the outfield? Is it really worth it, especially if it takes the same or more time to WALK in from the dugout/clubhouse/hitting cages as opposed to RUNNING straight in from where the bullpens are now.

Personally, Iím for limiting how many times a pitcher can throw over in an at bat or in an innings...thereís so much dead time right after the pitcher steps off or throws to a base. Most people probably wouldnít like that but

OP is Gabe Kapler lol

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I think OP is suggesting that having the bullpen and dugout separate is dumb and that putting them together would save time when the reliever is running from the outfield to the mound when he could instead run out to the field from the dugout. The relievers would then warm up inside the dugout area where the batting cage is.

My issue is, whatís the difference from having a reliever come in from wherever the batting cages would be located opposed to him running straight in from the outfield? Is it really worth it, especially if it takes the same or more time to WALK in from the dugout/clubhouse/hitting cages as opposed to RUNNING straight in from where the bullpens are now.
    Oh I know what he meant. Like you, I just don't see how that would noticeably speed up the game, if at all.

You cannot hurry the sport of baseball.
    Pitchers hold up game the most and batters, but you canít cap it.
    Plays are so abrupt, managers/players yell or have to run at umps across field, REVIEW/EJECTED, and there we go. They could improve their review commitee in a quicker fashion.

Removing the bullpen aspect doesnít allow players to acclimate their arm and body to the weather. Not a fan of removing it.

Besides pace of play, MLB needs to focus on marketing their star players. Thatís would be my focus far beyond pace of play right now.

At the end of the day, this one probably doesnít actually have any noticeable evidence, but I would limit reviews to 30 seconds. Iíd actually be in favor of doing this in all sports to be honest. All sports say there needs to be clear and undisputed evidence to overturn. If you canít find that evidence in 30 seconds, then itís not clear enough. And Iím badeball, you could even do 30 seconds from when the ump gets the headset on, and that gives the review guy like 15-20 extra seconds as well. Wouldnít really chance the pace of the game much, but would improve viewing experience.

Other than that, I donít know that thereís many things you can do that arenít radical to change it.

I think thereís a real argument that changing shrinking the strike zone and deadening the ball would potentially improve game speed. It would make it much more difficult to hit homers with a dead ball, so pitchers wouldnít be forced to nibble as much (which leads to increased pitch counts and more walks, which are generally fairly boring). And it gives hitters more hittable pitches and deincentivizes waiting for the perfect pitch.

This change would likely result in more balls in play and less pitches per at bat. It would possibly speed up play, and likely result in more ďactionĒ plays. It may encourage more stolen base attempts. But I donít know if it actually improves the game. It probably hurts it and is way to drastic of change to actually implement.

There are some stadiums where I would totally be for this. In some stadiums the relievers throw so close to the field that a foul ball the wrong way can hit them if they aren't careful. Not even talking about to save time, more so to protect guys

How about this: leave the game the way it is

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post

That's the change I'm for.

1. Enforce the rule. With bases empty, if the pitcher does not deliver the ball within 12 seconds, a ball is called. Overall, the average pitch takes slightly over 20 seconds to deliver. There's approximately 300 pitches per game. That's a lot of minutes wasted watching the pitcher stare at the catcher's glove.

2. Enforce the rule. If the batter fully leaves the box without fouling off a ball, a strike should be called. No less than 30 minutes of non baseball activity could be avoided by just following the rules that are already in place.

Personally I have no issues with the speed of the game. It's the pace of the game that makes it difficult to watch at times. Honestly, when pitchets take too long to deliver the ball, and hitters continually step out of the batter's box, it makes me want to turn it off. But this is just me

Prevent batters from getting out of the box and enforce a pitch clock.

If there werenít so many planned pitching changes, there would be no need, but because there is, I suggest no warmup pitches. These guys should already be warm. The changes would go as fast as any pinch hitter or field substitution.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post

If they left the game the way it was, there would be a lot of things you might like not in it. DH?

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    1. Enforce the rule. With bases empty, if the pitcher does not deliver the ball within 12 seconds, a ball is called. Overall, the average pitch takes slightly over 20 seconds to deliver. There's approximately 300 pitches per game. That's a lot of minutes wasted watching the pitcher stare at the catcher's glove.

2. Enforce the rule. If the batter fully leaves the box without fouling off a ball, a strike should be called. No less than 30 minutes of non baseball activity could be avoided by just following the rules that are already in place.

Personally I have no issues with the speed of the game. It's the pace of the game that makes it difficult to watch at times. Honestly, when pitchets take too long to deliver the ball, and hitters continually step out of the batter's box, it makes me want to turn it off. But this is just me
    This. MLB.tvís condensed game is my only bandage for now.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast