Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Sign or not?

To Sign or not?

As I watched Josh Donaldson's grand slam the other night to power the Jays past the Orioles 7-1. Couldn't help but think we need to keep this character guy around. Now, he is on the DL with shoulder issues, last season he missed a considerable amount of time to calf injury. He'll be 33 in December and Vlad Jr. is developing in AA. Do the Jays re-sign Josh Donaldson?

Noticing the other day Charlie Blackmon signed for 6 years and being roughly the same age as Donaldson. You know his agent will demand similar term. Do the Jays risk a 5 or 6 year contract on him?

Besiding Vlad Jr. likely the future at 3b, Solarte is around for next 3 seasons before hitting free agency to soften the blow in case Vlad faulters if Donaldson leaves. Yes, you can move Donaldson to 1b. But how much better will he be at 25 million than a Smoak who is signed for 5 million?

The way I see it the Jays have 3 options...

A) They can get one big year out of Donaldson, let him walk and grab the extra first round pick. I see this as most likely. Take the 25 million they were going to pay Donaldson and use it to sign a younger free agent at another position. A Harper or Machado type, or spend it on a couple of short term vets who provide Donaldson type leadership but will likely walk next year, when a Trout hits free agency.

B) They can trade Donaldson at the deadline for a big haul at the trade deadline. This scenario is least likely as Jays will be in playoff race and Donaldson is a major ticket draw. We also have taken this route many times before with stars like Halladay, Cone, or Clemens and the results were bad.

C) Or they can bite the bullett and go 5 -125 on Donaldson?

I know our play the rest of this season will influence the decision made on Donaldson. But at this point I have to favour point A. I know a long term deal will be good early on but last 2-3 years will be bad. Trading Donaldson at the deadline I see as least likely. Unless we get blown away. It could happen but seems slim.

If there's any player over 30 I want to throw money at, it's JD. However, back to back years with nagging injuries out of the gate is cause for concern. I don't see Dosh getting 5 years TBH. I think he'll get an insane amount of money over 3 years if he stays healthy. Something like 110-120mil but if this arm issue persists into May then I don't know. It's a tough call at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    If there's any player over 30 I want to throw money at, it's JD. However, back to back years with nagging injuries out of the gate is cause for concern. I don't see Dosh getting 5 years TBH. I think he'll get an insane amount of money over 3 years if he stays healthy. Something like 110-120mil but if this arm issue persists into May then I don't know. It's a tough call at the moment.
    3/120 is 40 mil a year. I canít see any team dishing that out. I would go 3/90 and that would be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    3/120 is 40 mil a year. I canít see any team dishing that out. I would go 3/90 and that would be it.
    If he hits 40-45 HR this year he'll get 35-40 mil a year over 3 years.

Remember Jose wanting 5/150.

How glad is everyone we didnt do that?

Granted Donaldson is younger but the injuries are slowing pling up. He's a great player, but man if he goes down and we are stuck with $30 mil+ is going to be a killer.

But seeing how free agency shook out this year, I doubt many teams will be out there ready to hand him 5 year deal unless he has a crazy MVP year again this year (unlikely at this point).

He could be back 2-3 years at 75-90 mil -- still a little rich but with many younger guys coming up in entry level deals soon (Vlad, Bichette, Alford, Jansen, etc) it will soften the blow.

But remember in 2 years a chunk of guys will be waiting for the big pay day including Sanchez, Stroman, Osuna and Pillar. Some of that is soften by Tulo and Martin off the books -- but still... gotta decide which direction to go.

For me with all the younger guys coming up and this team going younger, doesnt make sense to sign JD for 5 years... at 2, max 3 (team option) I would consider it...
    Last edited by Sanyo; 04-14-2018 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    If he hits 40-45 HR this year he'll get 35-40 mil a year over 3 years.
    I just dont see it. No one has gotten that type of money and i can't see teams shelling it out for Donaldson, even if he puts up MVP like numbers. Especially when none of the big spenders are in real need of a 3B, besides the Yankees who have Andujar and would probably rather sign Machado. I may be way off but I personally see the Jays offering somewhere around 3/75 and he will probably top out at 3/90 or 4/120.

I still want to sell at the deadline. Yankees style. Your players have more worth when you're team is above .500

I need to see how some things play out. If they can keep him on a 3-4 year deal I don't see having a problem with that. If Vlad and Bo look like they can contribute next year next year can be really good.

I don't have a problem signing him to 5-6 years depending on how much it is.

I'd still prefer to have traded him though.

Give JD 3/75 to split 1B and DH with Smoak and eat Morales' last year by trading for a bag of balls or releasing him outright. I doubt anyone will give JD more than that considering his age and recent injuries. And even though he's not a catcher anymore, he came up as a catcher, which means those legs have a LOT of miles on them!

And extend Smoak two more years plus additional team option years. Smoak's breakout year came around the same age as JB and EE broke out, so he might have 4 or 5 productive years left in him!

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    I don't have a problem signing him to 5-6 years depending on how much it is.

I'd still prefer to have traded him though.
    If Donaldson looks like a difficult sign at trade deadline....and Vlad appears ready....do you deal Donaldson for a big package of future or let him walk?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    If Donaldson looks like a difficult sign at trade deadline....and Vlad appears ready....do you deal Donaldson for a big package of future or let him walk?
    That's literally exactly what this entire thread is about.

At this point I would say no. Or make Donaldson the 1st basemen.

Vlady is ready to come up now, I think, but for sure in 2019 he will be on the opening day roster at 3rd base.

Donaldson will have to move or leave... no other choice. Vlad is the future. Why would you pay Donaldson $25mil+ when Vlady will probably give you better offence from that spot than Donaldson for those 5 years?

I would say hey Donald you see the team is evolving and top talent is coming up, if your interested here's 3 years at $65 mil, but you will be our full time 1st basemen too... you in?

Up to him at that point... would not budge above 3 years or $65 mil...
    Last edited by Sanyo; 04-18-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast