Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    IDK why we aren't doing what Philly did with their rebuild where they took bad contracts for future assets. That is exactly what we should be doing with out cap space right now. We are never going to attract premium FA's and we are nowhere close to contending. Every move this team makes should be in an effort to build for the future and accumulate assets.

I hate the culture argument. Screw culture. We need talent. Young talent that can develop. We need as much of that as possible. You don't force a winning culture. It happens organically. All you can do right now is concern yourself with accumulating as many assets for the future as possible in the form of young talent and draft picks.

There are teams out there that would give up a pick in order to part ways with a bad contract. We need to be all over that.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 07-10-2018 at 10:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    IDK why we aren't doing what Philly did with their rebuild where they took bad contracts for future assets. That is exactly what we should be doing with out cap space right now. We are never going to attract premium FA's and we are nowhere close to contending. Every move this team makes should be in an effort to build for the future and accumulate assets.

I hate the culture argument. Screw culture. We need talent. Young talent that can develop. We need as much of that as possible. You don't force a winning culture. It happens organically. All you can do right now is concern yourself with accumulating as many assets for the future as possible in the form of young talent and draft picks.

There are teams out there that would give up a pick in order to part ways with a bad contract. We need to be all over that.
    I think in all likelihood, the best we can get for taking on a bad contract is a pick in the late teens/early 20's. Unless we're getting a guy with only a year left on his deal, it's probably not worth it. Why not just try to sign a guy like Smart or Parker who will probably be better than anyone we can draft in the mid to late first round.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post

Teams are probably less likely to part with anything of real value right now because there aren't really any free agents left out there worth breaking the bank over and also because most probably realize they have no legitimate chance at winning next year. Philly was able to take advantage of the Kings, too. Sadly, we can't do that lol. I feel like our best bet is to give a team in cap hell some luxury tax relief, but I don't know who. I'm sure that there's still some value out there though, and if we can get even a projected mid-1st pick it might be worth it. May have to sit on the space and use it at the deadline though to get what we want. We've got some decent players on expiring deals, so there could be a strong market.

Quote Originally Posted by JLynn943 View Post
    Teams are probably less likely to part with anything of real value right now because there aren't really any free agents left out there worth breaking the bank over and also because most probably realize they have no legitimate chance at winning next year. Philly was able to take advantage of the Kings, too. Sadly, we can't do that lol. I feel like our best bet is to give a team in cap hell some luxury tax relief, but I don't know who. I'm sure that there's still some value out there though, and if we can get even a projected mid-1st pick it might be worth it. May have to sit on the space and use it at the deadline though to get what we want. We've got some decent players on expiring deals, so there could be a strong market.
    So if that type of deal is off the table this year, then save the cap space/sign only 1 year deals so that we have the cap space to make this type of trade next year.
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Agent008 View Post
    I think in all likelihood, the best we can get for taking on a bad contract is a pick in the late teens/early 20's. Unless we're getting a guy with only a year left on his deal, it's probably not worth it. Why not just try to sign a guy like Smart or Parker who will probably be better than anyone we can draft in the mid to late first round.
    Because it won't result in a playoff spot anyway. So, I don't see the point in it. We'd be better off saving the cap space for next year so we can eventually pull of a move where we get a future asset or two.

Parker I can be talked into because I think he still has some upside, but Smart makes no sense for us. However, I still say we'd be better served with patience and playing the long game. The East is wide open and one of those teams might get desperate next year, so that might be the time to strike a deal with someone. You never know what a team might be willing to give up to get out of a bad contract. I'd rather not be locked in to a big contract for a player that won't get us to the playoffs.

We have sucked for a long time. I get the desperation to be relevant again. But in all honesty, I didn't wait this long to be a fringe playoff team. Play the long game, build something real, and become a contender one day... no matter how long it takes. That's my two cents.
    Marmolololololol

The problem with holding our cap space till next year is that more teams will have space due to contracts and the cap rising. We need to use it this season.

Quote Originally Posted by timz-a-changin View Post
    The problem with holding our cap space till next year is that more teams will have space due to contracts and the cap rising. We need to use it this season.
    Or, we have the spsce for more than 2 - max guys that msy want to team up and we are by far the easiest to join them together with cheep young talent.

Quote Originally Posted by timz-a-changin View Post
    I agree with you again. We have trouble attracting free agents when we're the only team with cap space. I don't like our chances once we have to compete with other teams.

Are we having trouble attracting players, or are we simply not trying?

Mike Vorkunov: Mario Hezonja says he chose the Knicks over interest from the Lakers, Thunder, and the Blazers. He liked the vibe from NYK — Skyped pre-draft with Steve Mills, knew Fizdale from that process, Perry drafted him. Mills says he tried trading w/ Perry for him when he was in Orlando. – via Twitter MikeVorkunov

Sounds like we didn't even show interest for Mario. If that's the case... who did we target?

Quote Originally Posted by FarOutIos View Post
    Sounds like we didn't even show interest for Mario. If that's the case... who did we target?
    It was reported the Kings offered him a multi year deal, but Mario instead wanted 1 year which the Kings didn't want to do.

“Maybe one of these days I won't fail ” - Clayton Kershaw following Dodgers World Series loss

Quote Originally Posted by sacgiants1213 View Post
    It was reported the Kings offered him a multi year deal, but Mario instead wanted 1 year which the Kings didn't want to do.
    From his quote, it sounds like there was no offer. If he meant no offer that he'd consider, then that makes sense.

Not sure why we wouldn't offer a one year deal. It'd be nice to have the year to see how he fits in.

The articles and the talk around trading Labissiere may be premature. He's definitely the forgotten one out of the 20 big men on the Kings roster. I think trading Skal might not be the best move unless the trade yields a decent SF. If not, the Kings should strongly consider keeping him around. He's shown that he can hit from downtown, which is important considering we don't have any stretch 4's outside of Randolph. Also, he has shown improved footwork on the block and the ability to get shots off. His biggest knock was his overall strength. As the forgotten man, I'm interested in seeing how he's developed over the summer. Someone is going to have to get traded, but we may have to wait to see how players perform in camp. We have: Giles, Bagley III, Koufas, Labissiere, Cauley-Stein, and Randolph.

Quote Originally Posted by iMac View Post
    The articles and the talk around trading Labissiere may be premature. He's definitely the forgotten one out of the 20 big men on the Kings roster. I think trading Skal might not be the best move unless the trade yields a decent SF. If not, the Kings should strongly consider keeping him around. He's shown that he can hit from downtown, which is important considering we don't have any stretch 4's outside of Randolph. Also, he has shown improved footwork on the block and the ability to get shots off. His biggest knock was his overall strength. As the forgotten man, I'm interested in seeing how he's developed over the summer. Someone is going to have to get traded, but we may have to wait to see how players perform in camp. We have: Giles, Bagley III, Koufas, Labissiere, Cauley-Stein, and Randolph.
    I also want to see how he's improved after the summer. I'll admit I was kind of disappointed in him last year (I bought the hype and thought he'd make a leap), but he still has good potential and costs very little. Obviously everyone has a price that you are willing to trade them for, but I doubt anyone is knocking down our doors trying to get him. He's more of a deal sweetener right now.

I wonder if there's real talk about trading him or if it's just bored writers speculating because we have so many bigs (the latter is what I assume). Next summer Kosta and ZBo will be off the books. Possibly WCS, too. If we're serious about Bagley playing the 3, our glut of bigs will be no more.

That artical was much to do about nothing. Someone's stupid take, that's all. In the article there was 3 or 4 bad trades for us. Skal will not be traded for those trades.

I was also disappointed last year that he didn't make a jump, but that's ok. He still has plenty of upside. I heard in 1140 that he has gained a good amount of weight. So much so you might not recognize him at first glance. If that's the case we'll have to see how he plays with that weight. Also i am sure he is doing off-season work. I think if we trade him for peanuts we will would be making a mistake.

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast