Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Idea to stop tanking

What if there were a way to consistently reward teams with winning without compromising the integrity of the game?

30 teams, fresh season. Teams play/jockey for the first 41 games of the season to determine the top 20 teams that will advance with the best records. The rest of the 10 teams get put into a pool for the rest of the season as their own "league" until regular season is finished. After the conclusion of the 2nd 41 game season (playoff positioning is randomly picked for those 10 teams) they then get their own mini playoffs in which the champion gets the 1st pick, runner up gets the 2nd pick, and so on. All stats in both "leagues" will count towards NBA statistics. The idea is to allow the top 20 teams to get ticket revenue and all profits that come with making the playoffs, thus increasing the appeal for teams to not try to tank into the lower bracket (the teams now winning solely for the pick). Teams in the sub playoffs will also get postseason revenue, but less due to less games. For the 20 teams that made the playoffs, the 7th seed plays the 10th seed and the 8th seed plays the 9th seed in 1 game to determine who advances. For the 2nd round and on, it will just be normal 7 game series the rest of the way, regular formatting. Could use some touching up perhaps, but thoughts on this to avoid the plague that has become tanking?
    Last edited by HandsOnTheWheel; 04-10-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Every "reward the best non-playoff team" system has the same flaw: it keeps bad teams from getting better. Every single one of these ideas is more extreme than a flat lottery, and I can't get anyone to agree to a flat lottery.

And are you going to play the losers bracket at the same time as the regular playoffs? That will just confuse casual fans, who make up the bulk of the viewership. If you do it before the playoffs, you're gonna have a month or more layoff before the real playoffs. If you do it after, no one is going to watch outside of their own fanbases.

no... just stop... Like i said if you want to fix the tanking first fix the crap super team ******** where a lebron will likely go to only the sixers or the rockets and a durant goes to a warriors and a Bosh goes to a miami or the celtics big 3 or hayward going to the celtics etc etc etc etc... Guys dont wanna put in the work and rather just go build the easy route and thus the mid tier teams now are farther away from even having a shot against the top teams so now mid tier teams are in the worst possible situation and need to rely on lottery picks.

There's ONE way to stop tanking. One. End the NBA draft and make it a free market situation for all teams. They took huge steps to mitigate tanking this season, and it was one of the most glorious multi-faceted tanks in memory.

Easiest way to stop tanking is to implement a hard cap. Let's see these mother****ers team up knowing they'll take a drastic paycut to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    Every "reward the best non-playoff team" system has the same flaw: it keeps bad teams from getting better. Every single one of these ideas is more extreme than a flat lottery, and I can't get anyone to agree to a flat lottery.

And are you going to play the losers bracket at the same time as the regular playoffs? That will just confuse casual fans, who make up the bulk of the viewership. If you do it before the playoffs, you're gonna have a month or more layoff before the real playoffs. If you do it after, no one is going to watch outside of their own fanbases.
    Flat lottery as in all lottery teams have the same shot at 1st?
    Last edited by HandsOnTheWheel; 04-10-2018 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Added lottery

Probably lots of flaws in the idea itself, loved the idea of incentivizing and rewarding winning instead of losing. I guess a hard cap would have to be in place for this idea, so that talent would flock to even the smallest of markets and worst teams looking for the highest bidder for their services

Hard cap in reality would be drastic but possibly necessary. Might work, but one has to wonder how viewership is affected when all the "super teams" dissipate, and the NBA suddenly isn't as appealing/drawing audiences as it once was. League probably wants it like that.

Here is an idea - get rid of the ridiculous "max" and "supermax" deal limits and let teams pay whatever they feel a player is worth... then maybe smaller market teams will be able to attract max level players, by simply outbidding other teams.

The whole max contract situation is what's really holding the league back... allowing a team to fit both a Curry/KD under the cap COMFORTABLY without either taking a sizeable paycut should be impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboslice15 View Post
    Here is an idea - get rid of the ridiculous "max" and "supermax" deal limits and let teams pay whatever they feel a player is worth... then maybe smaller market teams will be able to attract max level players, by simply outbidding other teams.

The whole max contract situation is what's really holding the league back... allowing a team to fit both a Curry/KD under the cap COMFORTABLY without either taking a sizeable paycut should be impossible.
    Not sure I like that either. Are you keeping the cap? So the Kings are going to offer Giannis 4 years, 300 million and have 25 mil a year for the rest of their **** roster while we watch him waste his best years missing the playoffs every season because he wanted his payday?

Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    There's ONE way to stop tanking. One. End the NBA draft and make it a free market situation for all teams. They took huge steps to mitigate tanking this season, and it was one of the most glorious multi-faceted tanks in memory.
    There are more ways than one. The wheel, the nominated team both would do it too.

What "huge" steps were taken that were in place for this season?
    Last edited by Scoots; 04-10-2018 at 11:02 PM.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by HandsOnTheWheel View Post
    Flat lottery as in all lottery teams have the same shot at 1st?
    Yes, that's what he wants. It was done before.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboslice15 View Post

That doesn't protect poorly run teams like the current system does. It's not just the super teams that like the max contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by HandsOnTheWheel View Post
    Hard cap in reality would be drastic but possibly necessary. Might work, but one has to wonder how viewership is affected when all the "super teams" dissipate, and the NBA suddenly isn't as appealing/drawing audiences as it once was. League probably wants it like that.
    Hard cap was done before but the NBA wanted stars to be more likely to stay with one team for marketing purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    What "huge" steps were taken that were in place for this season?
    Ah you know what, the board of governors voted to change the rules last year, but I'm looking at it right now and it does not go into effect until NEXT season. I did not realize that.

Look those up if you're not familiar.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast