Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Question Could Rondo get a decent contract this summer?

The reason I ask is that Rondo is probably going to want more than 3 million next year.

Articles: https://pelicandebrief.com/2018/02/2...rondo-numbers/
    https://pelicandebrief.com/2018/03/0...etter-cousins/

He's had some nice games for the Pelicans, most recently a strong showing over the Warriors. He had that career high, franchise high 25 assists and 17 in the win versus Golden State. He struggled to even get a solid offer after his 1 yr/10 million flier with the Kings and Bulls, only fetching 3.3m with New Orleans. I don't even know how to describe his season with the Bulls, played poorly and Bulls had like 10 other point guards at the time, not to mention Wade and Butler. Then he got hurt. Had a bigger contract with the Bulls, but they cut him before his 2nd year would've kicked in.

Watched some analysis last night about how unpredictable the 3-8 seeds in the western conference are, with just two games left for the teams in the running. Other than some first round action, Rondo has clearly the most playoff experience. Saw a quote a while back about him wanting to do well in the playoffs with the team, even after the Cousins injury.

Rondo will always be a headache to some coaches/teams, but I think his play this season shows he can still get guys involved. He even had 12 points against the Warriors. Shooting 46% over last season's 40%. Clearly a better season than with Dallas & Chicago. Outlier season with the Kings in which he shot 36% from 3PT and averaged almost 12 assists and 11.9 points.

If Pelicans make the cut and do well in the first round (even if they lose), do you see them re-signing Rondo? I think the Cousins injury/contract situation may also factor into their decision, as Cousins & Rondo are so tight with each other. People have typically said "They need wing players" to really be formidable, then the twin towers fad caught on this season, before Cousins went down. Holiday's been up and down this season with Rondo, but the Pelicans did choose to give him that 5-year deal worth 131 million. Figure they'd try to make it work with Holiday and let Rondo go if it meant signing a wing this summer, and they wouldn't have much room left if they want to re-sign Cousins.
    Last edited by kobe4thewinbang; 04-09-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Most he can get is the MLE from N.O. anyway.

But he's also a 32 yr old PG with injury history, no jumper, declining speed and defense, and known chemistry problems.

If he got more than a 2yr non-tax MLE with the second year a team option I'd be shocked.

Rondo is a good fit in New Orleans. They need play-makers, and he fits the bill. Him and Jrue can help balance the passing from the high usage guys up front.

Pelicans have a nice front court trio rotation. Just need to add another threat on the wings and they could take the next step.

If they let Rondo do the setting up of team mates and Cousins less of it, I think they are more balanced.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    I mean... he might be worth an MLE on a two year deal.

If he put up these numbers and he was 22, then yeah... he'd get a deal, but he's 31.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

Anyone's thoughts change after the first two games against Portland?

Game 1: 17 assists, 8 rebounds, 2 turnovers, only took 9 shots
    Game 2: 16 points, 6-11, 10 rebounds, 9 assists

I mean, that is impressive stuff on the road, leading a relatively inexperienced playoff team, outlasting the runs by Portland with veteran leadership. Now they're going home for 2 games, this could be a sweep.

Pelicans cap situation still hasn't changed. Most they can sign him for is the non-tax MLE.

I also see none of the trans who are expected to have cap space (LAL, DAL, ATL, BKN, CHI, SAC, PHI) to sign him.

Unfortunately just like Tyreke Evans because nobody has their Bird Rights, I expect the MLE.

I don't really like Rondo but it seems he's found himself in a good spot with the Pelicans. He's always needed a good frontcourt player because he works well with a big rolling to the basket. I hope he stays with the Pels. Cousins should resign. They were playing very well and seemed to be figuring things out before he got injured.

Cousins should definitely re-sign, but Mirotic has definitely made them better. Wonder how that would work, as I don't think Mirotic can play the SF position. Maybe he can, seeing that he's just 220 and 6'10.

C/Cousins
    PF/Davis
    SF/Mirotic
    SG/Jrue
    PG/Rondo

Not sure how much Rondo would take, but he is old and in a good place now. Maybe Mirotic could be 6th man.

Quote Originally Posted by kobe4thewinbang View Post
    Cousins should definitely re-sign, but Mirotic has definitely made them better. Wonder how that would work, as I don't think Mirotic can play the SF position. Maybe he can, seeing that he's just 220 and 6'10.

C/Cousins
    PF/Davis
    SF/Mirotic
    SG/Jrue
    PG/Rondo

Not sure how much Rondo would take, but he is old and in a good place now. Maybe Mirotic could be 6th man.
    re-sign cousins, and trade him at the deadline lol. this way they retain an asset. flip him for a nice wing player.

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    re-sign cousins, and trade him at the deadline lol. this way they retain an asset. flip him for a nice wing player.
    DC doesn't make this team better

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I would argue they are better without him.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Yeah, he's a ball stopper at times. He likes to pass the ball too, but takes longer to make reads. They are better off letting Rondo and Jrue do the play making. The offense flows faster, which is what Gentry likes given his past with GS, LAC and Phx. I think having AD upfront is enough. Two high usage bigs isn't needed in the modern game. If they can swing DMC for a allstar wing, that'll help their ascent.