Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 35 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    It says he's had 142 PA's and they are all in MLB, unlike Theriot at the same point.
    You provided the data based on past. I'm just asking you to provide the same data for what he's doing in 2018.

The ONLY hashtag that even matters now...
    #SBCHAMPS

#15Points, #Steamrolled, #NotEvenCapable, #SeasonsOver, #WellDeserved, #YouWon’tBeatATL, #YouWon’tBeatMIN, #YouWon’tBeatNE, #Blowout, #Classless, #Trash, #7YearsAway, #Can’tRun, #Overrated, #BulletinBoard, #StoryTime, #Underdogs, #Snoozefest, #LeakedParade, #NotInTheSameUniverse
    #FreeGreenMonster

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    The key to what you are saying is he is 24 years old. When he was projected to be a plus offensive player it was not necessarily meant that he would do so by the age of 24. Looks at Simmons of the Angels. He came in to the league and hit about what Russell has hit for the first few years. He broke out last year. There are a lot of guys who take a few years to find their way. Not everyone can be a Seager or Bryant. I firmly believe Russell can, and will produce offensively to OPS near or above .800 on a regular basis as he matures. I do not think it is a stretch to expect something along the lines if .275 to .285/.350 to .360/.440 to .460 as average numbers for Russell. Now, will it be this year? I am not sure. But I think it will be soon.
    The age is the key. Like I said in my post, I think he will get there. It's just unrealistic to think he would reach his projections by this time. But at least on my end of the argument, I'm not referring to what kind of hitter he will be. I'm referring to what kind of hitter he's been. There's plenty of time for him to live up to his projections.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    My thing was independent of other things.

Also Ronny Cedeno is Joe Morgan.
    Ronny Cedeno is Joe Morgans uncle.

#SBCHAMPS

#15Points, #Steamrolled, #NotEvenCapable, #SeasonsOver, #WellDeserved, #YouWon’tBeatATL, #YouWon’tBeatMIN, #YouWon’tBeatNE, #Blowout, #Classless, #Trash, #7YearsAway, #Can’tRun, #Overrated, #BulletinBoard, #StoryTime, #Underdogs, #Snoozefest, #LeakedParade, #NotInTheSameUniverse
    #FreeGreenMonster

Russell is looking very Brandon Crawford-ish. Very good D, when you watch in small samples looks like a better hitter than his numbers.
    Not looking at age, just a player to player comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Or, provide a better comparison for 2018 Russell.
    We don't know what 2018 russell is yet. I gave you a list of 50+ comps of Russell's career to this point each of which is better than a guy who was struggling in his 2nd try at A+ ball after being demoted at the same age.

2018 Cubs FA/Trade Thread 1.0

You provided the data based on past. I'm just asking you to provide the same data for what he's doing in 2018.
    Google it. Shrug. The 2018 data says he's a better hitter than Anthony Rizzo, Adam Jones, Edwin Encarnarcion, Ryan Braun, Marvell Ozuna, Matt Carpenter, and Dexter Fowler.

Maybe that data is very incomplete?

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Wasn't Almora drafted 6th in the same draft Russell was picked 11th? So if Russell is a disappointment because as the 11th pick you would expect him to be better, is Almora also a disappointment? I realize you are not say Russell is a disappointment. I am just curious as to what people think about 2 high picks from the same draft. Seems people are on Russell and Almora gets a pass. Of the two I feel Russell has performed better up until now. He has been a regular since he came up in 15'. Almora is still not a regular. What are your expectations of Albert?
    I'm not saying that he's a disapointment because he was the 11th pick. That's just a side note of how highly he was thought of.

As both of these guy went through the minors, Almora regressed, and Addy excelled. Russell got to the bigs two years before AA. Also, Almora was not expected to be as good as Addy, so I don't think it's really a good comparison. The only common link is they were selected 5 picks apart. Based on expectations and projections, Addy should be a much better hitter than Almora. If and when that comes to fruition is yet to be seen.

I love Addy! I actually feel bad for him that he hasn't been able to live up to his expectations with his stick. But I still have a lot of confidence that it will happen. And when it does, he's going to be sick! We can see it happening a little this year. BB rate is up, and K rate is down. I know it's early and it may not be an indicator guys look for, but it's a start.

We don't know what 2018 russell is yet. I gave you a list of 50+ comps of Russell's career to this point each of which is better than a guy who was struggling in his 2nd try at A+ ball after being demoted at the same age.
    We know what he's been to this point in 2018. With that, Theriot is a fair comparison.

#SBCHAMPS

#FreeGreenMonster

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    Russell is looking very Brandon Crawford-ish. Very good D, when you watch in small samples looks like a better hitter than his numbers.
    Crawford is a fine player. At age 24 he hit .204/.288/.296. At age 25 he hit .248/.304/.349. He put up 16.5 fWAR in the next 5 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    Agreed, however, I was looking for a Cubs player to compare to.

#SBCHAMPS

#FreeGreenMonster

2018 Cubs FA/Trade Thread 1.0

We know what he's been to this point in 2018. With that, Theriot is a fair comparison.
    Do you think it makes sense to comp out every 100 at bats for players?

My comp for age 24 Addison Russell is Edgar Renteria. Very similar offensive performance, World Series Hero, Russell has been better defensively. Russell with more power, Renteria with a better average. Renteria is one of the 40 best SS in the last 70 years.

My comp for age 24 Addison Russell is Edgar Renteria. Very similar offensive performance, World Series Hero, Russell has been better defensively. Renteria is one of the 40 best SS in the last 70 years.
    I think it makes sense to draw a comparison, yeah. That's all it is.

I was also comparing him to other Cubs.

#SBCHAMPS

#FreeGreenMonster

My comp for age 24 Addison Russell is Edgar Renteria. Very similar offensive performance, World Series Hero, Russell has been better defensively. Russell with more power, Renteria with a better average. Renteria is one of the 40 best SS in the last 70 years.
    But yes, the 24 year old years of Russell and Edgar seem to be similar.

#SBCHAMPS

#FreeGreenMonster

I just want to chime in with one more thing. It seems we've gotten off track with the Russell discussion. The discussion was originally about his hitting up to this point. His WAR keeps getting mentioned when that's not the discussion at all.

I think he will be a very good hitter, but up to this point, he has been a negative offensive player every year. Using fangraphs offensive numbers, 2015 -6.1. In 2016, -3.3. In 2017, -6.9. And so far in 2018, he's been a -.7 offensive player. His glove on the other hand, outstanding!

I think it makes sense to draw a comparison, yeah. That's all it is.

I was also comparing him to other Cubs.
    If you try to force comps like that you end up saying stupid things like "Russell is Theriot+."

The obvious Cubs comps if you want to force a comparison are Castro and Javy.

Page 35 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast