Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 26 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Even though Machado is a great player, and I'd be willing to trade a lot for him as a rental, I really don't want the Cubs to give him 8/$300 or whatever he'll get this offseason.

Not only would he be behind Harper, but he wouldn't be my plan B at this point.
    I agree I want Harper more than MM. That is why him agreeing to an extension before the Cubs approve a deal is not something that makes him more appealing. However, I am not sure he would not be plan B for me. Maybe him and a few other options are equal plan B options. But IMO he ahs to be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    I'd honestly think hard about giving up Happ and Montgomery for Machado.
    Same here, I'd do that in a second.
    Would mean moving Bryant to the OF for the rest of the season, and I'm sure they'd have to have a conversation w him about that....but if you can add MM to your lineup, and are just losing Happ from it, that offense could be insanely good.

Sounds like Theo did an interview today that put some water on the flame regarding the Cubs getting Machado, or any rental. Good to hear. Since this FO has been very transparent with what they do or attempt to do, I am going to choose to believe Theo. For now, at least, it does not appear they are going to move major league assets for MM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Sounds like Theo did an interview today that put some water on the flame regarding the Cubs getting Machado, or any rental. Good to hear. Since this FO has been very transparent with what they do or attempt to do, I am going to choose to believe Theo. For now, at least, it does not appear they are going to move major league assets for MM.
    I know it's not due to the day Russell had but it's worth pointing out that that performance more than doubled his fWAR and his batting line is now slightly ahead of his career best. This is not to say that it will stay there, but rather to point out how damn early it is and how easily a player can raise their numbers still. He's still a 3-4 win player pretty easily.

I just saw that and I was just going to post this same exact response lol...

But I 100% agree

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wowolfol View Post
    i know it's not due to the day russell had but it's worth pointing out that that performance more than doubled his fwar and his batting line is now slightly ahead of his career best. This is not to say that it will stay there, but rather to point out how damn early it is and how easily a player can raise their numbers still. He's still a 3-4 win player pretty easily.
    completely agree. That is why I feel it is very premature to deem Javy the obvious better offensive player. And, frankly, it doesn't matter. Why can't they both be good????? My opinion is they are. And 35 games does not change my opinion.

2018 Cubs FA/Trade Thread 1.0

Yeah, he left the door open but made it clear that Torres for Chapman is the exception, not the rule, and that they need to focus on building the farm for after 2021 and not trade everyone away. But at the same time made it clear that if the Cubs are in good shape in July they'll be looking to improve.

I think if we are aiming big offensively, Donaldson makes a lot of sense. Hes still a rental, but being 3b only and off to a slow start, I'm guessing the cost will be much lower. Over the last few years he has been a better hitter than MM. He could be like JD Martinez last year in that he got off to a slow start and then was a beast on his new team.

The Jays may not sell. If they want to they can probably be in a 3/4 team race for the 2nd wild card, but do you pass up on the trade return of Donaldson and some of their players to be in a 3 team race for the 2nd wild card? Maybe.

Donaldson would be an interesting full circle acquisition.

This is just my opinion. We have a great defensive 24 year old SS with "above average" to "plus" offensive upside already on this team. Unless the plan is to play MM at third, and move Bryant to RF to take care of that black hole, I don't see a need at all for MM. If the plan is to put him at third, I'd give up 2-3 minor league guys. Nothing more! He's a rental for God's sake. If the O's would rather have one sup pick next year, so be it. Anyway, I believe that they're not going to move him. With senile ownership calling the shots, a good sound baseball move is probably not going to happen in Baltimore.
    Last edited by thawv; 05-10-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Yeah, he left the door open but made it clear that Torres for Chapman is the exception, not the rule, and that they need to focus on building the farm for after 2021 and not trade everyone away. But at the same time made it clear that if the Cubs are in good shape in July they'll be looking to improve.

I think if we are aiming big offensively, Donaldson makes a lot of sense. Hes still a rental, but being 3b only and off to a slow start, I'm guessing the cost will be much lower. Over the last few years he has been a better hitter than MM. He could be like JD Martinez last year in that he got off to a slow start and then was a beast on his new team.

The Jays may not sell. If they want to they can probably be in a 3/4 team race for the 2nd wild card, but do you pass up on the trade return of Donaldson and some of their players to be in a 3 team race for the 2nd wild card? Maybe.
    Well right now, I would say that the Jays would be considered buyers, and not sellers. The O's on the other hand.........

completely agree. That is why I feel it is very premature to deem Javy the obvious better offensive player. And, frankly, it doesn't matter. Why can't they both be good????? My opinion is they are. And 35 games does not change my opinion.
    No it's not. That's been put to bed.

The ONLY hashtag that even matters now...
    #SBCHAMPS

#15Points, #Steamrolled, #NotEvenCapable, #SeasonsOver, #WellDeserved, #YouWon’tBeatATL, #YouWon’tBeatMIN, #YouWon’tBeatNE, #Blowout, #Classless, #Trash, #7YearsAway, #Can’tRun, #Overrated, #BulletinBoard, #StoryTime, #Underdogs, #Snoozefest, #LeakedParade, #NotInTheSameUniverse
    #FreeGreenMonster

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Well right now, I would say that the Jays would be considered buyers, and not sellers. The O's on the other hand.........
    Maybe they are, but what are they buying for? Best case scenario for Toronto they get to face Chris Sale in a Wild card game for the rights to play the Yankees or Astros (or Severino in the WC game). That's if they beat out Anaheim, Seattle, and Minnesota for that last spot.

I don't know. I'm all for "get in and see what happens," but in the AL this year the 2nd Wild card is pretty screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    No it's not. That's been put to bed.
    Well I mean, no, definitely not - because we're still talking about a pair of 24 and 25 year olds as if what they are now is anything resembling their individual finished products.

Baez is certainly the obvious better offensive player right this minute. No debate about that. Russell was the clear cut better one as recently as 2016 - when, just as is the case now, neither of these guys could be reasonably deemed all that they will ever be.

But certainly nothing has been put to bed with either guy at this juncture. Very, very far from that.

As a casual addendum, I believe we're now well over a month since Javy has taken a walk.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Well I mean, no, definitely not - because we're still talking about a pair of 24 and 25 year olds as if what they are now is anything resembling their individual finished products.

Baez is certainly the obvious better offensive player right this minute. No debate about that. Russell was the clear cut better one as recently as 2016 - when, just as is the case now, neither of these guys could be reasonably deemed all that they will ever be.

But certainly nothing has been put to bed with either guy at this juncture. Very, very far from that.

As a casual addendum, I believe we're now well over a month since Javy has taken a walk.
    And he's rubbed off on Rizzo too

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post

Why would I care who was better in 2016? Does that effect this season?

Javy is the better offensive player, when it matters, today, right now. Does it mean it will continue, nope. Could it change, yep. But for the time that matters, this season, it hasn't been close.

If he's a top 5 RBI guy at the end of the year, I hope he never walks again.

The ONLY hashtag that even matters now...
    #SBCHAMPS

#15Points, #Steamrolled, #NotEvenCapable, #SeasonsOver, #WellDeserved, #YouWon’tBeatATL, #YouWon’tBeatMIN, #YouWon’tBeatNE, #Blowout, #Classless, #Trash, #7YearsAway, #Can’tRun, #Overrated, #BulletinBoard, #StoryTime, #Underdogs, #Snoozefest, #LeakedParade, #NotInTheSameUniverse
    #FreeGreenMonster

Page 26 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast