Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 101 of 121 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 1808
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    No shot they keep him. This is a CC like rental for them.

The thing is that one of the biggest reasons why the Brewers are winning is their defense. If the Cubs arenít the best defensive team in MLB, Milwaukee is. Looking at their stats, youíd expect pitching regression anyway, but they currently rate as one of the best teams in MLB at SS defense and Machado rates as the worst. His offense will more than offset that of course, but the defensive downgrade could have an impact on their 2nd half pitching if they get MM.
    MM would be a huge upgrade, no doubt about it. But I think there is going to be some serious regression on that team. I still think at best they are a low 90's win team, with or without MM. And I feel the Cubs are better than that. And for those who ask why I feel the Brewers will regress and not the Cubs, it is not cubbie kool aid. It is because that is what this team has done for 3 years. It is what Maddon managed teams have done most of his career. This team deserves the benefit of the doubt after doing it 3 years in a row. And this team, even with poor starting pitcher, should have an even better record then what they currently have. I happen to believe Q and Hendricks are much better than what they have shown. I also feel either Darvish will be back and solid or the Cubs will trade for someone who will be solid. Again, for those who ask why I feel Darvish will be solid, I can point to his career. I have said it several times, I am a believer in the back of a baseball card. I trust that more than I do 8 starts at the beginning of his Cubs career. This is provided he is healthy. And if he is not, I expect a trade. This team is just too damn good not to win 95+ games this year. And the FO should be whatever is necessary to make it happen. Brewers are good. And they very well could win the division. But for me the Cubs are still the best and should be viewed as such until they are no longer the best.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    There's not really anything the Cubs have to trade to "go for it" though. The best chip is Happ, and truthfully, the team probably needs him as insurance (as I stated in another thread...exactly which minor league player, at literally, any position, are you comfortable with starting on this team if someone is hurt?) at many positions. And he's really showing some signs of being a useful ball player. At that, I don't think he's realistically going to headline much of a deal, still.

I'd rather not be in a one-game-play-in, either. But I also don't know where there's a realistic big trade to make to go for it.
    It would need to be a team thatís far away and they still couldnít get a guy like Thor or DeGrom. But I think Amaya has become a very legit prospect. So if you are a few years away, maybe you give up a good controlled player for Amaya and Adbert (who is out for this year anyway) and smaller pieces. Does that get you Brad Hand? Maybe?

Iíd be more focused on rentals and lower cost trade targets anyway. The Cubs need to keep guys like Amaya in hopes that he becomes a top prospect that they can deal a year or so from now. Amaya, Hoerner, Adbert, Lange can be the start of a decent farm system if others can break out and join them.

Ottavino, Britton, Famila, JA Happ, Eovaldi, Adam Conley, Tony Watson if SF falls back, Cahill, Hamels if the cost is mostly financial and they can still grab a reliever and stay under the tax. 1-2 of those types of pitchers would be my target. I donít see how they could pull off a Chapman/Quintana type of deal this year.

It would need to be a team thatís far away and they still couldnít get a guy like Thor or DeGrom. But I think Amaya has become a very legit prospect. So if you are a few years away, maybe you give up a good controlled player for Amaya and Adbert (who is out for this year anyway) and smaller pieces. Does that get you Brad Hand? Maybe?

Iíd be more focused on rentals and lower cost trade targets anyway. The Cubs need to keep guys like Amaya in hopes that he becomes a top prospect that they can deal a year or so from now. Amaya, Hoerner, Adbert, Lange can be the start of a decent farm system if others can break out and join them.

Ottavino, Britton, Famila, JA Happ, Eovaldi, Adam Conley, Tony Watson if SF falls back, Cahill, Hamels if the cost is mostly financial and they can still grab a reliever and stay under the tax. 1-2 of those types of pitchers would be my target. I donít see how they could pull off a Chapman/Quintana type of deal this year.
    Yeah I'd like to hold on to Amaya for another year. He's got the ability to be a headliner down the road. And while I like Brad Hand...a year from now he could get us a younger SP we need.

I'm all for an Ottavino type. Or an Eovaldi. Or hell, JA Happ to just boot Chatwood, if the cost isn't too much. But I just don't see the the Chapman/Quintana stuff like yourself.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Yeah I'd like to hold on to Amaya for another year. He's got the ability to be a headliner down the road. And while I like Brad Hand...a year from now he could get us a younger SP we need.

I'm all for an Ottavino type. Or an Eovaldi. Or hell, JA Happ to just boot Chatwood, if the cost isn't too much. But I just don't see the the Chapman/Quintana stuff like yourself.
    Ottavino would be my top target. But the Rockies have done much better recently. I doubt they sell.

Ottavino would be my top target. But the Rockies have done much better recently. I doubt they sell.
    Yup. Sad there. I love Ottavino.

Would like another arm either way, though. One more arm and our pen could go from really good to nearly elite.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Looks like tha Blue Jays have looked at Bote / Zagunis and Tseng from the Iowa roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    Looks like tha Blue Jays have looked at Bote / Zagunis and Tseng from the Iowa roster.
    All would be find gives on the Cubs end to snag JA Happ, IMO.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

2018 Cubs FA/Trade Thread 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    I really like Bote. The other 2 are all theirs + some low level lottery tickets. Imagine wanting to trade for Tseng.

I really like Bote. The other 2 are all theirs + some low level lottery tickets. Imagine wanting to trade for Tseng.
    I like Bote as a nice backup player. But I like Zagunis in that same role. I think both are useful guys off the bench. If trading a bench player nets us an arm you can be somewhat confident in, in the playoffs like JA Happ, if Darvish doesn't return, I'd be willing to pay. I like Bote a bit more, so my druthers would be to deal Zagunis first, but neither would really be hard sells for me. Tseng? Have Tseng all day.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

I like Bote as a nice backup player. But I like Zagunis in that same role. I think both are useful guys off the bench. If trading a bench player nets us an arm you can be somewhat confident in, in the playoffs like JA Happ, if Darvish doesn't return, I'd be willing to pay. I like Bote a bit more, so my druthers would be to deal Zagunis first, but neither would really be hard sells for me. Tseng? Have Tseng all day.
    Agreed. If Bote gets it done they Cubs should be very happy. And if Yu comes back the rotation gets a huge upgrade and Monty going to the pen helps that as well.

2018 Cubs FA/Trade Thread 1.0

Boteís ability to play everywhere makes him more valuable than Zagunis, and he seems to be developing a bit of power that Zagunis doesnít have. I mentioned it a few months ago, but in another situation I think a Bote/LaStella platoon would combine for really good 2b production. I wouldnít rule out trading Bote for a rental, but Iíd really rather not. So before doing a deal like that Iíd shoot for Eovaldi and some of the other rental options.
    Last edited by CP_414; 07-09-2018 at 05:35 PM.

Bob Nightengale

Verified account

@BNightengale
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    The #Orioles have discussed potentially packaging reliever Zach Britton with Manny Machado to enhance the prospect package theyĒll receive from #Dodgers or anyone else

63 replies 213 retweets 350 likes
    Reply 63 Retweet 213 Like 350

That entice you guys?

Boteís ability to play everywhere makes him more valuable than Zagunis, and he seems to be developing a bit of power that Zagunis doesnít have. I mentioned it a few months ago, but in another situation I think a Bote/LaStella platoon would combine for really good 2b production. I wouldnít rule out trading Bote for a rental, but Iíd really rather not. So before doing a deal like that Iíd shoot for Eovaldi and some of the other rental options.
    Yeah, I'd rank Bote higher than Zagunis. But I think if Happ is going for Bote, Eovaldi is probably a Bote-candidate, too.

Like I said, if you're giving me my druthers, I'm shipping Zagunis first, but if it came down to Bote or no Happ/Eovaldi, he's not a player I'm going to hold firm on, either.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago jack View Post
    That entice you guys?
    No. The Orioles are insane on what they want. I like Britton, but adding Britton to Machado doesn't really move the needle for me because it's still Baltimore and they don't seem to understand what a realistic asking price is.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.