Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Patriots sign Matthews to a one year contract

Quote Originally Posted by burtgummer View Post
    Patriots sign Matthews to a one year contract
    I like this move quite a bit. Matthews is a solid slot receiver when hes healthy.

Aust is offline BUTLER!!!! / DOWN 25!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonBoy View Post
    I like this move quite a bit. Matthews is a solid slot receiver when hes healthy.
    That's always the key with our WR isn't it? Amendola when he was here, Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell and now Matthews.

I like the move.
    (2/1/2015) (2/5/2017)

HOLY ****

Good no risk signing here with Mathews. When healthy he can be a good big target, possession WR. He likely competes with Britt for the 4/5th WR spot, can't see both players making this team. We'll see who shows better in TC.

WR Depth
    1. Edelman
    2. Hogan

Top 2 are roster locks

3. Mitchell/McCarron
    4. Dorsett/Patterson
    5. Britt/Mathews

Here's your TC competition. I expect another 2-3 WR's will be added into the mix late in the draft/UDFA for camp competition. But for right now here's how we're shaping up. For now I'll give Mitchell, Dorsett and Britt the inside track solely because they were on the roster last year. Mitchell is the closest roster lock after Edelman and Hogan but he has health concerns. McCarron who was on the PS last year will likely stay on the PS squad but could push for a roster spot - he very well could be Edelmans replacement in training. Then you have a competition between the "speed" WR's who are essentially limited everywhere else in Dorsett and Patterson (does add ST value so could have the inside track). Then you have a competition between Britt and Mathews who are big bodied possession WR/Red Zone type.

6. Slater

I assume Slater takes his spot back unless he's not healthy or just isn't the same due to age. If that's the case Patterson slides in right here.

City of Champions

Everyone has their own opinion of course but not sure how you can give Dorsett the inside track he's borderline garbage
    If Britt doesn't have a good camp I can see him being let go also

Everyone has their own opinion of course but not sure how you can give Dorsett the inside track he's borderline garbage
    If Britt doesn't have a good camp I can see him being let go also
    If you READ I said he has the inside track solely because he was on the roster last year. But I think you're undervaluing what he is now and greatly undervaluing what he can be.

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    If you READ I said he has the inside track solely because he was on the roster last year. But I think you're undervaluing what he is now and greatly undervaluing what he can be.
    Actually I'd say you're overvaluing him he's shown very little in his pro career
    He mad a few big catches this season
    12 catches is pretty bad considering Brady threw 581 times

Actually I'd say you're overvaluing him he's shown very little in his pro career
    He mad a few big catches this season
    12 catches is pretty bad considering Brady threw 581 times
    How many of those were to Dorsett?

Quote Originally Posted by Fla.SticKy View Post
    How many of those were to Dorsett?
    18 67% of the ones thrown to him he caught among the worst on the team

18 67% of the ones thrown to him he caught among the worst on the team
    Huh?

Hogan last year - 57.6% catch rate
    Cooks - 67.6%
    Gronk - 65.7%

I have no idea where you're getting that 67% is bad. And Dorsett is a downfield guy too so even consider that he'd generally be running lower percentage routes.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    Good no risk signing here with Mathews. When healthy he can be a good big target, possession WR. He likely competes with Britt for the 4/5th WR spot, can't see both players making this team. We'll see who shows better in TC.

WR Depth
    1. Edelman
    2. Hogan

Top 2 are roster locks

3. Mitchell/McCarron
    4. Dorsett/Patterson
    5. Britt/Mathews

Here's your TC competition. I expect another 2-3 WR's will be added into the mix late in the draft/UDFA for camp competition. But for right now here's how we're shaping up. For now I'll give Mitchell, Dorsett and Britt the inside track solely because they were on the roster last year. Mitchell is the closest roster lock after Edelman and Hogan but he has health concerns. McCarron who was on the PS last year will likely stay on the PS squad but could push for a roster spot - he very well could be Edelmans replacement in training. Then you have a competition between the "speed" WR's who are essentially limited everywhere else in Dorsett and Patterson (does add ST value so could have the inside track). Then you have a competition between Britt and Mathews who are big bodied possession WR/Red Zone type.

6. Slater

I assume Slater takes his spot back unless he's not healthy or just isn't the same due to age. If that's the case Patterson slides in right here.
    Not so sure I'd break it into one on one competitions like that. For instance I can see a scenario where both Matthews (slot) and Britt (outside) make the roster over Patterson/Dorsett. I could also see us keeping 6 true WRs plus Slater, particularly if Patterson is one of them.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    That might be a big deal if the season started Sunday. It's clear we're already better off than in '06.
    If healthy were really good still problem is if there are injuries thats the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    That might be a big deal if the season started Sunday. It's clear we're already better off than in '06.
    Obviously i never say anyone especially a WR is a lock but man Matthews really will have to struggle to not make it. I mean i just cant see britt patterson or dorsett beating him out.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Not so sure I'd break it into one on one competitions like that. For instance I can see a scenario where both Matthews (slot) and Britt (outside) make the roster over Patterson/Dorsett. I could also see us keeping 6 true WRs plus Slater, particularly if Patterson is one of them.
    I'd be shocked if Britt and Mathews both made the team. I'd venture to guess we've had more seasons without a "big/RZ" type WR on the roster than not. 1 Big/RZ WR is never a guarantee with BB's offense... Having 2 would be out of the ordinary here.

City of Champions

I hope all this noise about Lamar Jackson is just a smokescreen from Bill.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast