Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    BB saw Brady torch the Eagles with or without Cooks (most of the game) in the SB. I guess he feels spending loot on the guy long term isn't worth it.
    Tom Brady could have thrown for 300 yards in that game with receivers from the Arena League. The Patriots know that as long as he's playing, there's no need to pay WRs big money.

Quote Originally Posted by hpt View Post
    Tom Brady could have thrown for 300 yards in that game with receivers from the Arena League. The Patriots know that as long as he's playing, there's no need to pay WRs big money.
    So why did the Patriots trade a first round pick for Cooks in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    In their defense, he was still on his rookie contract and still on the cheap. That said, Brady's ability to play with scrubs is constantly overstated.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    I think the plan was to trade for the 2 years left on his rookie deal. He only made like $1.5M last year. Yes, he was scheduled to make over $8M this year but remember that cap space rolls over. So you can really look at the 2 years together. And while they only had him for 2 years, at a super affordable value of ~$5M/year. Huge steal for Cooks.

Now, extending beyond that at current WR prices I think would be unwise for NE. And I think they knew that all along. Still worth giving up the first for a steal over 2 years. BUT, STL just came offering such tremendous value for just the last year (where his $8M salary stands on its own) that I think they felt they had to pull the trigger.

So I think it was a good move to give up the 1st knowing you wouldn't extend him beyond 2 years, but also a good move to take the tremendous value that was offered for the last year.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I think the plan was to trade for the 2 years left on his rookie deal. He only made like $1.5M last year. Yes, he was scheduled to make over $8M this year but remember that cap space rolls over. So you can really look at the 2 years together. And while they only had him for 2 years, at a super affordable value of ~$5M/year. Huge steal for Cooks.

Now, extending beyond that at current WR prices I think would be unwise for NE. And I think they knew that all along. Still worth giving up the first for a steal over 2 years. BUT, STL just came offering such tremendous value for just the last year (where his $8M salary stands on its own) that I think they felt they had to pull the trigger.

So I think it was a good move to give up the 1st knowing you wouldn't extend him beyond 2 years, but also a good move to take the tremendous value that was offered for the last year.
    Hey, I completely understand why the Patriots traded for Cooks. It opened up their offense in a way that was readily apparent in Brady's MVP season. The Rams paid a ridiculous price to acquire Cooks, so the Pats obviously accepted that.

But I was responding to the claim that Brady can produce with total scrubs at WR, and since the organization knows it as well, why would they invest a 1st-round pick in a trade for a WR? That is, without anticipating they'd get an even better pick for him a year later.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910