Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 85BearsDefense View Post
    Why would Boston create a massive hole on their team while not filling a need? So Brown is coming off the bench now and we don't have a single respectable center. Lovely.
    Leonard fills a lot of needs for any team. Add him and play center by committee, you are a lot better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by WaDe03 View Post
    They would have to trade Horford or Hayward to match salaries though wouldn't they?
    No. They don't have to.

If a team is sending out salary of $6,533,334 to $19.6 million they are allowed to take back the outgoing amount plus $5M (source: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q84). Kawhi is set to make $20,099,188 so BOS will have to send out that amount minus $5M - $15,099,188.

All of the following guys would be in play if they were to make a trade for Kawhi:

Jayson Tatum - $6,700,800
    Marcus Morris - $5,375,000
    Jaylen Brown - $5,169,960
    Terry Rozier - $3,050,390
    Guershon Yabusele - $2,667,600
    Abdel Nader - $1,378,242 (non-guaranteed)
    Semi Ojeleye - $1,378,242 (non-guaranteed)
    Daniel Theis - $1,378,242 (non-guaranteed)

With some combination of those guys I'm sure BOS can get to the salary threshold they need to get to. That doesn't mean SA wouldn't demand one of Horford/Hayward but BOS doesn't have to include them for salary purposes.

I imagine that if BOS deals for Kawhi it would be something like Tatum, Morris, Rozier, Yabusele, '18 BOS 1st rounder, '19 SAC 1st rounder. Try to re-sign Marcus Smart (bird rights), Shane Larkin (vet min or bi-annual exception) and add a bench scoring wing like Tyreke Evans with the MLE.

Kyrie / Larkin
    Brown / Smart
    Hayward / Evans
    Leonard / Ojeleye
    Horford / Theis

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Like the Philly scenario and Kawhi-Embiid-Simmons would be sick, but in reality Kawhi isn't going anywhere simply cause he stands to make the most money with SA.

Quote Originally Posted by HandsOnTheWheel View Post
    Like the Philly scenario and Kawhi-Embiid-Simmons would be sick, but in reality Kawhi isn't going anywhere simply cause he stands to make the most money with SA.
    But if he's traded, why couldn't he get the same supermax deal from the team he's dealt to? Is there a piece of that contract I'm not understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post
    Just trust me, Hou wont make it all the way to the WCF 😉

The question really becomes, who do the Spurs want back in return. They will get the player back that they want.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    How does Horford make zero sense? He's an overpaid player at this point with several years remaining on his contract. Boston would probably prefer to move him if they can get anything of value so they can use that money to re-sign Kyrie and Brown/Tatum when their contracts expire. I imagine Boston's ownership would prefer not to spend $200 million on salary.
    Horford's deal expires in 2 years (it's a given he takes the option on that second year). That's the same summer that Brown hits RFA. Tatum is still on a rookie deal at that point for another season. So Horford isn't in any way a problem for re-signing Brown/Tatum.

BOS is at about $107.4M in committed salary next year. That leaves about $15.6M of room under the projected tax line. Their FAs are Marcus Smart, Greg Monroe, Aron Baynes and Shane Larkin. They also have a cap hold for their late 1st round pick (assuming the LAL pick doesn't miraculously convey. With cap space drying up Smart could be looking at MLE type money, Larkin is a bi-annual exception type guy if not the minimum. And then with Theis back they'd only need to re-sign one of Monroe/Baynes for tax payer's MLE type money. Basically, BOS is right on the edge of tax for next year but can stay below it if they really want to.

That next year when Kyrie is up would make a spike and Horford's deal would be a bit of an nuisance for that but it's just a one year thing there. Then he expires after that so all in all I don't think Horford's deal is much of a burden at all, though I agree he's overpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    But if he's traded, why couldn't he get the same supermax deal from the team he's dealt to? Is there a piece of that contract I'm not understanding?

This is what I see:

A player qualifies for the DPE, which can be used to give a player a contract extension or to sign him as a free agent, if he does one of the following:

1. He makes one of the three all-NBA teams or is named either defensive player of the year or most valuable player the previous season.

2. He has made one of the three all-NBA teams or has been named defensive player of the year in two of the prior three seasons or the league’s most valuable player in one of the three prior seasons.

And this crucial stipulation: He has to be on the team that drafted him or has to have been traded on his rookie deal to another team.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f61ea85f5af2

Quote Originally Posted by RCarlson85 View Post
    Oh, I get it now, you're a Celtics fan. That tells me all I need to know.
    I'm actually a Bulls fan. Born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago. So no, I'm not in fact a Celtics fan.

Home to the Greatest Fans in College Football

One of the best FO's in the NBA agrees with me and the numbers also agree with me.
    Oh, I get it now, you're a Celtics fan. That tells me all I need to know.

Why would Boston create a massive hole on their team while not filling a need? So Brown is coming off the bench now and we don't have a single respectable center. Lovely.
    Center would be a hole obviously. But they'd have a top 5 player in the NBA on the wing. Brown comes off the bench? Ok, so now we have great depth?

Obviously the team would be better if you kept Horford like in the scenario I outlined above. But SA might still want to compete and part of that could be getting back a player like Horford who'd fit tremendously in their system. But Leaonard on the wing and center by committee is a better team than Horford at center with Ojeleye/Nader/etc. combining for backup minutes on the wing. Easily.

dp.
    Last edited by HandsOnTheWheel; 04-03-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Horford's deal expires in 2 years (it's a given he takes the option on that second year). That's the same summer that Brown hits RFA. Tatum is still on a rookie deal at that point for another season. So Horford isn't in any way a problem for re-signing Brown/Tatum.

BOS is at about $107.4M in committed salary next year. That leaves about $15.6M of room under the projected tax line. Their FAs are Marcus Smart, Greg Monroe, Aron Baynes and Shane Larkin. They also have a cap hold for their late 1st round pick (assuming the LAL pick doesn't miraculously convey. With cap space drying up Smart could be looking at MLE type money, Larkin is a bi-annual exception type guy if not the minimum. And then with Theis back they'd only need to re-sign one of Monroe/Baynes for tax payer's MLE type money. Basically, BOS is right on the edge of tax for next year but can stay below it if they really want to.

That next year when Kyrie is up would make a spike and Horford's deal would be a bit of an nuisance for that but it's just a one year thing there. Then he expires after that so all in all I don't think Horford's deal is much of a burden at all, though I agree he's overpaid.
    No, I'm not saying his deal is burden preventing them from re-signing those guys, I'm saying Boston's ownership probably doesn't want to spend $250 million on salary.

Kyrie is $20 mil (and if he opts out to re-sign a deal it would likely be in the $30 mil range), Hayward will be $30 mil, Brown will re-sign for likely $20 mil at a minimum (if he continues to progress it could be $30 mil).

At that point you have possibly $90 mil for Kyrie, Hayward and Brown and knowing you have to re-sign Tatum the next year for $20-$30 mil. I just don't see Boston also being willing to re-sign Horford at that point for $30 mil and possibly pay 5 guys $30 mil per year (or even $20 mil per year for 2-3).

So Horford is likely an expendable asset in that they can use him and his value to get someone they want to keep longer term rather than let Horford walk as a FA or risk paying him a ton to re-sign him (think pretty much exactly what they did to Isaiah).

Quote Originally Posted by kdspurman View Post
    This. Incentivizes players to stay with the team that drafted them.
    Last edited by HandsOnTheWheel; 04-03-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    No. They don't have to.

If a team is sending out salary of $6,533,334 to $19.6 million they are allowed to take back the outgoing amount plus $5M (source: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q84). Kawhi is set to make $20,099,188 so BOS will have to send out that amount minus $5M - $15,099,188.

All of the following guys would be in play if they were to make a trade for Kawhi:

Jayson Tatum - $6,700,800
    Marcus Morris - $5,375,000
    Jaylen Brown - $5,169,960
    Terry Rozier - $3,050,390
    Guershon Yabusele - $2,667,600
    Abdel Nader - $1,378,242 (non-guaranteed)
    Semi Ojeleye - $1,378,242 (non-guaranteed)
    Daniel Theis - $1,378,242 (non-guaranteed)

With some combination of those guys I'm sure BOS can get to the salary threshold they need to get to. That doesn't mean SA wouldn't demand one of Horford/Hayward but BOS doesn't have to include them for salary purposes.

I imagine that if BOS deals for Kawhi it would be something like Tatum, Morris, Rozier, Yabusele, '18 BOS 1st rounder, '19 SAC 1st rounder. Try to re-sign Marcus Smart (bird rights), Shane Larkin (vet min or bi-annual exception) and add a bench scoring wing like Tyreke Evans with the MLE.

Kyrie / Larkin
    Brown / Smart
    Hayward / Evans
    Leonard / Ojeleye
    Horford / Theis
    Best team in the East for sure and on the same tier as the Warriors and Rockets.
    RIP lol, please!

8/1/2011 - 01/28/2018

You may not be with us anymore but your name, legacy, and what you stood for will last forever!

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    PP and KG were at the end of their careers and Ainge got a stupid good deal.

Rondo was a locker room cancer at that time.

Ray shafted Boston for Miami much more than Boston shafted him.

Talk about revisionist history....
    PP and KG were at the end of their careers, but Ainge had made not that he was willing to trade them for younger guys an assets well before (he openly criticized the old guard in Boston for not trading McHale, Bird, and Parish when they still had value and we past their championship run).

Whether the guy is old or not is beside the point; if you think people aren't going to sign with a team because they traded a guy they signed a year ago, then it's a loyalty issues. What else would be the issue? And if that's it, it isn't about how old the guy is, or how good he is, or how good the deal is. The Spurs and Dallas have made it clear in the past that guys like Dirk, and Duncan and Parker and Manu are untouchable. The Spurs even overpaid Manu last year to keep him from going to Philly. Those teams are loyal to their franchise players. Boston is not. Trading or not trading Hayward (who has played less than 10 minutes in Boston green) is not going to stop a player from signing there.

As for Ray, Boston is the one who put him on the trading block. He was as good as traded. Yes, he Ray left Boston because they kept putting him on the trading block. That's not revisionist history. They didn't get a good trade for him because he was on the last year of a contract and he was 30+; that's the only reason he was able to leave the team instead of getting traded.

You think that is revisionist history? Boston signed off on the deal. The agreed to move Allen. Memphis just got cold feel. And they weren't the only team Boston was talking to. Try looking up the facts on that because calling me out on revising history:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news...m1rxr5z8zti32a
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...izzlies-roster
    http://www.espn.com/boston/nba/story...zzlies-oj-mayo
    http://www.espn.com/boston/nba/colum...ris&id=4926783
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast