Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderdan22 View Post
    A fringe WC team? At the rate they are going they'll be lucky if Baltimore doesn't pass them.
    They'll be lucky if Baltimore DOES pass them. 1st overall talent to go with vladdy plz.

Time to demote Biagini and never bring him back up again

So...where's all those optimistic Shapkins fans now?? I wonder if they still think they put together a competitive roster?
    This team is hot trash, and the F.O. has made just about every blunder you could make. Morales, Pearce, re-signing Estrada, not trading Osuna (I said ALL last year they should trade him, as his stats were declining, his velocity slightly fading, and his injury history), Donaldson, Happ in the offseason.

Now Osuna will probably NEVER pitch a game for the Jays again...maybe never again in MLB. Donaldson is soooo far removed from his form of '15/16, and his D and health continues to deteriorate. At least last season his offense was all start calibre when he played, and they could have sold teams on that, and got a great haul. They should still be able to get a decent haul for Happ, but they would have got more in the offseason than they will at the deadline. They'll be lucky to get a team's top 15-20 prospect for Estrada.

Fans are staying away, the team is a bunch of individual cast-offs (a Shapkins...and AA specialty), there's no pitching help within 2 years away, and Vlad is the only somewhat sure thing they have in the minors. With the Yanks and Bos set like they are, it'll likely be another 5-7 years before the Jays are in contention...if then.

However, I'm sure Shapkins will find ways to cut payroll, increase ticket prices, and get real grass on the field and decorate the dome.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanyo View Post
    Time to demote Biagini and never bring him back up again
    Another F.O. blunder. He was a decent RP, but they insisted he started, when it was CLEAR he wasn't a starter...and now they've shattered him.

Quote Originally Posted by passengershawn View Post
    So...where's all those optimistic Shapkins fans now?? I wonder if they still think they put together a competitive roster?
    This team is hot trash, and the F.O. has made just about every blunder you could make. Morales, Pearce, re-signing Estrada, not trading Osuna (I said ALL last year they should trade him, as his stats were declining, his velocity slightly fading, and his injury history), Donaldson, Happ in the offseason.

Now Osuna will probably NEVER pitch a game for the Jays again...maybe never again in MLB. Donaldson is soooo far removed from his form of '15/16, and his D and health continues to deteriorate. At least last season his offense was all start calibre when he played, and they could have sold teams on that, and got a great haul. They should still be able to get a decent haul for Happ, but they would have got more in the offseason than they will at the deadline. They'll be lucky to get a team's top 15-20 prospect for Estrada.

Fans are staying away, the team is a bunch of individual cast-offs (a Shapkins...and AA specialty), there's no pitching help within 2 years away, and Vlad is the only somewhat sure thing they have in the minors. With the Yanks and Bos set like they are, it'll likely be another 5-7 years before the Jays are in contention...if then.

However, I'm sure Shapkins will find ways to cut payroll, increase ticket prices, and get real grass on the field and decorate the dome.
    Donaldson really fell faster than I thought. Looks like he is done at 32. Reminds of Joey Bats last year he was here

Apparently Joey b is killing it with the Mets? Or perhaps those comments on the main forum were satire.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    Donaldson really fell faster than I thought. Looks like he is done at 32. Reminds of Joey Bats last year he was here
    doesn't look particularly good. it's too bad players have a shelf life, AA would have been a genius.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Oís have been struggling. Letís hope jays get something going. At least show some effort.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Apparently Joey b is killing it with the Mets? Or perhaps those comments on the main forum were satire.
    Iím pretty sure someone said on one of the radio shows that he had an OPS north of .800. Iím too lazy/tired to look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    Iím pretty sure someone said on one of the radio shows that he had an OPS north of .800. Iím too lazy/tired to look it up.
    Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    doesn't look particularly good. it's too bad players have a shelf life, AA would have been a genius.
    AA was a genius to clear out of here once he had traded off the farm system for older high priced players. Seen the writing on the wall

Hey, not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I am going to a few Jay's games in Toronto and I am wondering where the best place to sit in the stadium is?? of if there is any other tips you guys may have?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FandomXP View Post
    Hey, not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I am going to a few Jay's games in Toronto and I am wondering where the best place to sit in the stadium is?? of if there is any other tips you guys may have?

Thanks!
    I didn't think people still went to the games

Quote Originally Posted by passengershawn View Post

Just wow...lets dissect this for a moment.

1- Osuna's velocity was just fine and he was pitching great until that unfortunate incident...which we still don't know all the details of. If it was cut and dry he would already be suspended. not on administrative leave. If you are going to claim you saw this coming, please tell me what the powerball numbers in the states are going to be on the next draw...ffs. Osuna was pitching through ailments last year in his neck and lat, that is why his velocity was down. He was just man enough to stay on the field and find ways to close games.

2- Happ has more value now than he did in the off season. He is looking like top available pitcher at this years deadline now that Arizona is back in 1st place in the NL West.

3- I love how people just assume teams were willing to give up a kings ransom for JD in the off season. There was really only one team even interested, and they obviously talked to them extensively because they made 2 other deals with them. People assume they would have been willing to give up some of those good young arms, but that is not really how STL does things. They are a team built on pitching. Flaherty is already in their rotation thanks to Wainwright going down again and Reyes is out for at least another year with a torn lat after coming back from TJ surgery. Just because people heard some rumors on the mlb channel doesn't mean those were real offers. The Cards spent a lot of their prospect capital bringing in Marcel Ozuna. I highly doubt they were going to be willing to trade Flaherty too...considering he was their 6th starter heading into the season.

4- So those "cast offs" you speak of...who are they Granderson, Diaz, Solarte and Grichuk? Grandy has the 2nd highest OBP on this team and was a big reason why they were competitive in April. Solarte leads this team in HR's and is a valuable piece imo with his versatility and great contract. Diaz is a former all star who was acquired to be insurance for Tulo....not a long term answer for anything. Grichuk did start out like hot trash at the plate, but he is still a very good defender and ever since he came off the DL he has been out best hitter and looking like the guy we hoped we traded for in the off season. Over those 8 games he is slashing .357/.400/.786 with 3 HR's, 3 2B's and 8 RBI's.............Or are the cast offs Clippard, Axford and Oh? Those 3 guys were all pitching outstanding until Osuna went down and they were overused for month.

5- Who's fault is it that there isn't much pitching help left in the minors? It's definitely no Shapiro's or Atkins's fault. You can blame everyone's hero AA for that. That being said though, their rotation is starting to come around. Sanchez and Estrada have both looked solid over their last 2 outings. Gaviglio has been outstanding and Happ is pitching like he may win another 20 games this season.

This front office has made a couple mistakes, I won't deny that. But blaming them for their starting pitching having an absolute meltdown over the first few months is ridiculous. Starting pitching was supposed to be their biggest strength, not their biggest weakness. Sure they could have gotten someone better than Garcia to be their #5, but other than that I don't think they did anything wrong wrt SP in the off season. Since last years trade deadline they improved the outfield depth with Hernandez, Grandy and Grichuk. The infield depth with Solarte and Diaz and also found 3 cheap quality relievers for the bullpen.

The offense they assembled is still 5th in the AL in runs per game without their MVP and their disastrous May. They are 5th in the AL in HR's, 4th in 2B's and 3rd in BB's. They are never going to be among the leaders in batting average, but lucky for them batting average doesn't win games, runs do. They are currently on pace to score about 800 runs this season without JD, which would be a monster improvement over the 693 they scored in 2017.

They aren't a team with an unlimited budget, and they currently have 2 20+M dollar players on the DL, and another batting .171. So essentially they are trying to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox with a 100M budget right now instead of 165. Even if JD comes back they are still wasting 25% of their budget on 2 over the hill players in key positions. Once the 40M that AA committed to Tulo and Martin comes off the books things are going to look a lot different. Lucky for every Jays fan out there, that isn't 5-7 years away.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Just wow...lets dissect this for a moment.

1- Osuna's velocity was just fine and he was pitching great until that unfortunate incident...which we still don't know all the details of. If it was cut and dry he would already be suspended. not on administrative leave. If you are going to claim you saw this coming, please tell me what the powerball numbers in the states are going to be on the next draw...ffs. Osuna was pitching through ailments last year in his neck and lat, that is why his velocity was down. He was just man enough to stay on the field and find ways to close games.

2- Happ has more value now than he did in the off season. He is looking like top available pitcher at this years deadline now that Arizona is back in 1st place in the NL West.

3- I love how people just assume teams were willing to give up a kings ransom for JD in the off season. There was really only one team even interested, and they obviously talked to them extensively because they made 2 other deals with them. People assume they would have been willing to give up some of those good young arms, but that is not really how STL does things. They are a team built on pitching. Flaherty is already in their rotation thanks to Wainwright going down again and Reyes is out for at least another year with a torn lat after coming back from TJ surgery. Just because people heard some rumors on the mlb channel doesn't mean those were real offers. The Cards spent a lot of their prospect capital bringing in Marcel Ozuna. I highly doubt they were going to be willing to trade Flaherty too...considering he was their 6th starter heading into the season.

4- So those "cast offs" you speak of...who are they Granderson, Diaz, Solarte and Grichuk? Grandy has the 2nd highest OBP on this team and was a big reason why they were competitive in April. Solarte leads this team in HR's and is a valuable piece imo with his versatility and great contract. Diaz is a former all star who was acquired to be insurance for Tulo....not a long term answer for anything. Grichuk did start out like hot trash at the plate, but he is still a very good defender and ever since he came off the DL he has been out best hitter and looking like the guy we hoped we traded for in the off season. Over those 8 games he is slashing .357/.400/.786 with 3 HR's, 3 2B's and 8 RBI's.............Or are the cast offs Clippard, Axford and Oh? Those 3 guys were all pitching outstanding until Osuna went down and they were overused for month.

5- Who's fault is it that there isn't much pitching help left in the minors? It's definitely no Shapiro's or Atkins's fault. You can blame everyone's hero AA for that. That being said though, their rotation is starting to come around. Sanchez and Estrada have both looked solid over their last 2 outings. Gaviglio has been outstanding and Happ is pitching like he may win another 20 games this season.

This front office has made a couple mistakes, I won't deny that. But blaming them for their starting pitching having an absolute meltdown over the first few months is ridiculous. Starting pitching was supposed to be their biggest strength, not their biggest weakness. Sure they could have gotten someone better than Garcia to be their #5, but other than that I don't think they did anything wrong wrt SP in the off season. Since last years trade deadline they improved the outfield depth with Hernandez, Grandy and Grichuk. The infield depth with Solarte and Diaz and also found 3 cheap quality relievers for the bullpen.

The offense they assembled is still 5th in the AL in runs per game without their MVP and their disastrous May. They are 5th in the AL in HR's, 4th in 2B's and 3rd in BB's. They are never going to be among the leaders in batting average, but lucky for them batting average doesn't win games, runs do. They are currently on pace to score about 800 runs this season without JD, which would be a monster improvement over the 693 they scored in 2017.

They aren't a team with an unlimited budget, and they currently have 2 20+M dollar players on the DL, and another batting .171. So essentially they are trying to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox with a 100M budget right now instead of 165. Even if JD comes back they are still wasting 25% of their budget on 2 over the hill players in key positions. Once the 40M that AA committed to Tulo and Martin comes off the books things are going to look a lot different. Lucky for every Jays fan out there, that isn't 5-7 years away.
    Good post! Everybody wants to paint AA into a legend. But he put us in position where we are now. He won yes....but he sold out the future to do it.

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast