Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Who exactly are you referring to under AA's tenure got rocked and had their confidence ruined...Drabek?

- Hutchison was promoted at age 21...and actually didn't do that bad. He was 5-3 with a 4.30 ERA over 11 starts.

- Sanchez was promoted at age 21 and was a stud in the bullpen who was gradually converted into a starter who led the AL in ERA his first full season in the rotation.

-Henderson Alvarex was 21 when he got promoted, and he posted a 3.53 ERA over 10 starts that season

- Lawrie was promoted at age 21 and slashed .293/.373/.580 over 43 games with 9 HR's in 150 AB's.

- Stroman was promoted at age 23...and was solid right away.

None of those guys were hurt by being promoted at a young age....
    We don't know that for sure though. It is impossible for us to. I mean some of those players completely flamed out after early success. Measuring the success immediately after being called up isn't ultimately the way to measure whether they were called up at the right time. We know that leagues adjust to players, find weaknesses and adapt. We know the physical and psychological demands of playing in the MLB aren't the same as they are in the minors. It is impossible to know whether more time in the minors could have better prepared them.

I'm not saying it necessarily did them harm, I just think it is presumptuous to assume it didn't just because of early success.

I think the problem there was pitching in Coors field. He is still only 23, and he is pitching very well the last 2 years in Baltimore. I don't think his confidence was ruined by his early promotion. I don't think he was ready to be thrown into the fire like Osuna was, but overall it hasn't really hurt him. He still has time to make some money in arbitration, and he will be a FA after his age 27 season instead of age 30+, which is starting to get more and more important on the FA market.
    Yeah, I was just bringing up guys who were promoted early, not guys who busted because of. I tend to agree that it probably doesn't effect their career path much, just that there will be growing pains.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    We don't know that for sure though. It is impossible for us to. I mean some of those players completely flamed out after early success. Measuring the success immediately after being called up isn't ultimately the way to measure whether they were called up at the right time. We know that leagues adjust to players, find weaknesses and adapt. We know the physical and psychological demands of playing in the MLB aren't the same as they are in the minors. It is impossible to know whether more time in the minors could have better prepared them.

I'm not saying it necessarily did them harm, I just think it is presumptuous to assume it didn't just because of early success.
    This is very true.

Who exactly are you referring to under AA's tenure got rocked and had their confidence ruined...Drabek?

- Hutchison was promoted at age 21...and actually didn't do that bad. He was 5-3 with a 4.30 ERA over 11 starts.

- Sanchez was promoted at age 21 and was a stud in the bullpen who was gradually converted into a starter who led the AL in ERA his first full season in the rotation.

-Henderson Alvarex was 21 when he got promoted, and he posted a 3.53 ERA over 10 starts that season

- Lawrie was promoted at age 21 and slashed .293/.373/.580 over 43 games with 9 HR's in 150 AB's.

- Stroman was promoted at age 23...and was solid right away.

None of those guys were hurt by being promoted at a young age....
    We also need to define young. I think 18-19 is young MAYBE 20.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeays View Post
    I'm trying to recall which prospects he did this to. Maybe Pompey whom I always thought was overhyped because he was a local kid. Gose maybe?
    The post I quoted was referring to age. I was getting at how he was quick to rush guys up more so than how old they were. Castro was the guy I was mainly thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    I didnít like how AA was so quick to promote guys. Yeah, it worked for Osuna but other guys got absolutely rocked and had their confidence ruined.
    I always wished they played it safe. Better to be a month or two too late to call up than to rush them. I don't think you can hurt them by delaying. But other way can be disastrous.

Yah it's time to move on from Estrada.

He's done pretty well the past few starts so could get a Liriano type deal for him.

Stroman has done well with back to back great starts.

Hope he can continue it.

Jose is back for the first time since leaving. He's actually having a good year so far.

Biagini has been pitching better lately .

Quote Originally Posted by 1hardcore View Post
    Biagini has been pitching better lately .
    He is way better as a reliever

If he can settle into that 6th/7th long man role then I'd be happy with the asset.

Small sample size but wonder if Borucki could be a poor man's Blake Snell? Both 6'4 southpaws, he doesn't have Snell's strikeouts but better control.

I find it awful hard to watch the Jays with a bunch of re-treads out there. I don't mind a .500 club if it had a decent amount of young talent improving. But hard to stay interested watching the Diaz, Mailes, Travis, Garcias, Estradas. Be much more entertaining watching the Jansens, Guerreros, Biggios, somebody like Alford in center. With 3 young arms in the rotation, a SRF, Rorucki, and Zeuch. Be glad when they get here! Young players add excitement and enthusiasm.

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast