Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    Technically we are in 1st place by percentage points as of July 7. I haven't been this excited about Phillies baseball in a while LOL.

Hoping we finish the road trip STRONG before the All Star break.

Most interesting trade rumor I've heard is interest in Whit Merrifield as a utility man. He'd probably take reps from Franco and Williams. Doesn't sound like the Phillies are big players in the Machado market.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

And Hamels had an awful game, I still want him back tho, I hope that drives his price down.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

I want no part of Hamels coming back to Philly. Go after JA Happ. Still don't think we need starting pitching, really could use bullpen help and someone in the outfield.

Nola went juggernaut today on mound and with bat lol

Phils win 3-1
    7IP, 1 hit, 10 Ks
    1-2: 2B 3RBI

He just turned 25 last month whomp whomp

I still think they should focus their resources on Third, the outfield, and the bullpen. Pitching is always a plus and if they can get a legit ace I'd be for it but I think the pitchers mentioned would be minimal upgrades at best.

A LHP that could be cheap with experience doesn't sound bad TBH, and regarding position players, I don't think we can get anything more than a nice bench player.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

Quote Originally Posted by Burkey3472 View Post
    I still think they should focus their resources on Third, the outfield, and the bullpen. Pitching is always a plus and if they can get a legit ace I'd be for it but I think the pitchers mentioned would be minimal upgrades at best.
    One more 0 fer from Herrera and Franco has the highest average on the team. Franco plays decent 3rd, strong arm and appears to be a likeable guy. The real spot they need to upgrade is SS and the "beloved" Scottie. Even with the contract should have spent 3 months at AAA. Getting better in the field on balls in front of him but doesn't have the arm for plays in the hole. And that's why Manny at a cost of Moniak (doubt he has any value but why not), someone like Suarez/Jojo and someone further down the prospect list might be the start of an offer. Mostly fear the Braves getting Manny, they have a deeper prospect base.

Quote Originally Posted by Psulongago View Post
    One more 0 fer from Herrera and Franco has the highest average on the team. Franco plays decent 3rd, strong arm and appears to be a likeable guy. The real spot they need to upgrade is SS and the "beloved" Scottie. Even with the contract should have spent 3 months at AAA. Getting better in the field on balls in front of him but doesn't have the arm for plays in the hole. And that's why Manny at a cost of Moniak (doubt he has any value but why not), someone like Suarez/Jojo and someone further down the prospect list might be the start of an offer. Mostly fear the Braves getting Manny, they have a deeper prospect base.
    After years of watching Franco I expect him to cool down and return to his average self fairly soon. Maybe he continues to hit and they don't have to worry about 3B this year. SS could definitely use an upgrade but I'm not sure how many options are out there. Machado would be terrific but its a longshot in a trade this season. Also, since Crawford/Kingery are young and cost controlled, I'd only be ok with an elite SS upgrade or a rental so they get their job back next year.

The gift that keeps on giving: starting pitching.
    Weird delivery, but De Los Santos looked solid for his MLB debut, but it was the LoLMets

Agree that Franco is very likely to regress in a bad way. His batted ball profile is worse than ever.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

I wonder if the Phillies might not eat some cash to add Shin-Soo Choo and Hamels (for basically nothing). Choo is only a modest upgrade on Williams who's batting .273/.344/.525 since mid-May. Choo is hitting .290/.399/.500, but he's playing above his head. Like Williams, he's a poor defender. Hamels, at this stage of his career, is mostly just solid rotation depth.

It's a lot of money to make the roster deeper, but it could be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    I wonder if the Phillies might not eat some cash to add Shin-Soo Choo and Hamels (for basically nothing). Choo is only a modest upgrade on Williams who's batting .273/.344/.525 since mid-May. Choo is hitting .290/.399/.500, but he's playing above his head. Like Williams, he's a poor defender. Hamels, at this stage of his career, is mostly just solid rotation depth.

It's a lot of money to make the roster deeper, but it could be worth it.
    I wonder if they would be interested in doing something like this. They have the room. Take on a bad contract for a season or two to get a decent player without giving up too much in terms of prospects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

If they aren't paying down Choo at all, the Rangers seemingly would have to include something ON TOP of Choo and Hamels. Not a big something, but something.

I'd be for taking Choo and his contract as long as it didn't hurt them in pursuing any other free agents over the next few years (which I doubt with a low payroll). I was actually surprised with how well Choo is playing this year. Power is up, hard contact rate is the highest its ever been, best walk rate since 2013. His average will regress with an older player with a slightly high BABIP and his defense is trash but it would help with the depth.

As for Hamels, you just have to hope that a change back to Philadelphia would give him the pitching boost he hasn't had the last 2 years.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast