Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    I saw you guys talking about your lineup construction. If you don't mind, I'm gonna chime in.

Cain
    Yelich
    Aguilar
    Thames
    Shaw
    Saladino
    Villar
    Pina

I want my best hitters, and guys that get on base to get the most at bats as possible over the course of the season.

I agree with that. I think you can consider swapping guys based upon righty lefty at times, but generally I agree. I also think Shaw showed last year that heís a pretty good hitter, so I donít mind him in the 4 spot.

And for me, I actually donít hate thames near the top as well. Heís a low average/high obp guy. I like those guys at the top, where a single and a walk are virtually the same. When you have them down at 5, especially with the drop we have at 6, a single may be more valuable than a walk since itís more likely that guys will be on. So something like thames, yellich, Cain, Aguilar, Shaw isnít terrible in my mind either.

But those are all sort of slightly situational things. I tend to agree in general with your assessment. Put your best hitters at the top and maximize their plate appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I agree with that. I think you can consider swapping guys based upon righty lefty at times, but generally I agree. I also think Shaw showed last year that heís a pretty good hitter, so I donít mind him in the 4 spot.

And for me, I actually donít hate thames near the top as well. Heís a low average/high obp guy. I like those guys at the top, where a single and a walk are virtually the same. When you have them down at 5, especially with the drop we have at 6, a single may be more valuable than a walk since itís more likely that guys will be on. So something like thames, yellich, Cain, Aguilar, Shaw isnít terrible in my mind either.

But those are all sort of slightly situational things. I tend to agree in general with your assessment. Put your best hitters at the top and maximize their plate appearances.
    I like to have continuity in the lineup and have it be similar if possible on a daily basis. Thames isn't a 4-hitter to me. To me I like him at 6 if a trade is made for Escobar who I hope they get. I rather have him than Dozier as he can play multiple positions and in case of injury provides cover at multiple spots. I would go Cain-Escobar-Yelich-Aguilar-Shaw-Thames-Saladino-Pina. Yelich and Escobar and Saladino and Pina can be switched also. Versus a lefty starter I would have Braun where Thames is. With Braun and Thames there and Escobar acquisition the lineup would have more depth and those 5 are better hitters than Thames anyway. But Thames power would be extremely valuable in the 6 spot.

I do agree though if no acquisition it's interesting to me who to put at lead off. Cain or Thames? I think Cain. But am not tied to that. Cain-Yelich-Aguilar-Shaw-Braun/Thames-Saladino-Villar-Pina

What about getting a guy like Sonny Gray, Kevin Gausman, or Zach Wheeler. I think each guy has some ace type stuff still, is controllable past this year, and wouldn't cost a ton in prospect value. I also like Jordan Zimmerman as a bounceback low cost option but that would depend on how much of his contract Detriot would take. I read that we are looking at Dozier after missing Machado, I like Dozier a lot but would rather go after Escobar because he can play short and if Saladino continues to play strong he could play 2B. I think my #1 target is probably Wilson Ramos, he would fit into the team dynamic and would provide the biggest boost (outside of a #1 pitcher). I wonder if we could send Santana to a team in a 3 team deal and land a solid starter or help up the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    What about getting a guy like Sonny Gray, Kevin Gausman, or Zach Wheeler. I think each guy has some ace type stuff still, is controllable past this year, and wouldn't cost a ton in prospect value. I also like Jordan Zimmerman as a bounceback low cost option but that would depend on how much of his contract Detriot would take. I read that we are looking at Dozier after missing Machado, I like Dozier a lot but would rather go after Escobar because he can play short and if Saladino continues to play strong he could play 2B. I think my #1 target is probably Wilson Ramos, he would fit into the team dynamic and would provide the biggest boost (outside of a #1 pitcher). I wonder if we could send Santana to a team in a 3 team deal and land a solid starter or help up the middle.
    A lot depends on health of Ramos as he's out through July with hammy injury I believe. Could get real cheap and help as we probably at least losing 2 of 3 vs Dodgers to start looking at pitching matchups. Is Braun back with 3 lefties to face vs. LAD? I completely agree on rather getting Escobar over Dozier.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920