Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Pitching is always relatively expensive. Not sure exactly who consider a b/c prospect, but I think it definitely costs someone in our top 10 unless they want like 3 guys 11-17 or so. I know the jays have some great top level guys in the farm, but idk what their depth looks like.

Well, given what the Royals got for Herrera I don't think I'd worry too much about what the Brewers would have to give up for Happ or Ross.
    Last edited by long ball; 06-19-2018 at 08:55 PM. Reason: brain fart

And I go back and forth so much on the window conversation. On one hand, it might be wise to maximize a window. On the other hand, itís tough to watch prospects develop elsewhere.

That being said, a guy like degrom has 2.5 years left. Realistically, thatís kind of one window. At his age, well be lucky to get the full 2.5 years of high level production out of Cain. Braun basically has 2.5 left. Nelson has 2.5 years left. Shaw has 3.5 left. Davies and Anderson are about at that window. Thames and Chacin both are FA after next season.

I know guys like yellich and hader have more. But realistically, a good bulk of this team have between 1.5 and 2.5 years left. Some will be resigned, but if guys continue to perform, its going to get awfully expensive to bring that whole team back. Now, guys like hiura, burnes and those guys landing make it easier to trade and manage that roster. But degrom makes us legit scary, especially if Nelson comes back anywhere close to where he was.

The more i think about it, Iíd go for it with degrom. Go all in for the next 2.5 or so years. After that, if the farm canít fill the holes, we have a year of Shaw, 2 years of both yellich and hader, so weíll have guys to retool the system with.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    And I go back and forth so much on the window conversation. On one hand, it might be wise to maximize a window. On the other hand, itís tough to watch prospects develop elsewhere.

That being said, a guy like degrom has 2.5 years left. Realistically, thatís kind of one window. At his age, well be lucky to get the full 2.5 years of high level production out of Cain. Braun basically has 2.5 left. Nelson has 2.5 years left. Shaw has 3.5 left. Davies and Anderson are about at that window. Thames and Chacin both are FA after next season.

I know guys like yellich and hader have more. But realistically, a good bulk of this team have between 1.5 and 2.5 years left. Some will be resigned, but if guys continue to perform, its going to get awfully expensive to bring that whole team back. Now, guys like hiura, burnes and those guys landing make it easier to trade and manage that roster. But degrom makes us legit scary, especially if Nelson comes back anywhere close to where he was.

The more i think about it, Iíd go for it with degrom. Go all in for the next 2.5 or so years. After that, if the farm canít fill the holes, we have a year of Shaw, 2 years of both yellich and hader, so weíll have guys to retool the system with.
    Chacin has been so good. Saw on Twitter tonight that the Brewers have scored 2 runs or less in 26 of 72 games...36 percent....and they are 12 games over .500 that's not sustainable. This team no matter how much pitching it gets isn't going to win the way the offense has performed. It has to be frustrating for Counsell. Probably going to have to go offense over pitching. SO much pressure on the staff and they've done phenomenal. A Luc or SS would be good. No way I'd give up my top 4 prospects for anyone lol. I am fine giving up Ray or Phillips or both. Loaded with OFs. Even a No. 2 is an upgrade over what Chase has given. But man Chacin and Guerra have been great so far...might just have to roll dice with the staff to upgrade the bottom of the order. Hard for top guys not to try and do to much with Arcia and Pina barely above the mendoza line.

I think I would try and get Wilson Ramos, Freddy Galvis, and Kevin Gausman. for prospects in return.
    Ramos for 2 mid-level prospect say Medeiros and Feliciano
    Galvis for 1 mid-level prospect say Diplan
    Gausman in a 3 team deal where Domingo goes to Cleveland and the O's get 2-3 prospects from Cleveland.

We would get good rentals at short and catcher and Gausman will be a stud if he can get out of Baltimore and the al. We would only give up mid level prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    I think I would try and get Wilson Ramos, Freddy Galvis, and Kevin Gausman. for prospects in return.
    Ramos for 2 mid-level prospect say Medeiros and Feliciano
    Galvis for 1 mid-level prospect say Diplan
    Gausman in a 3 team deal where Domingo goes to Cleveland and the O's get 2-3 prospects from Cleveland.

We would get good rentals at short and catcher and Gausman will be a stud if he can get out of Baltimore and the al. We would only give up mid level prospects.
    Yeah hard to keep rolling Arcia and Pina out there. Miller will be up soon and Sogard gone i'd think very soon to see if miller can provide anything or I'd be fine going to get Galvis. A C is needed badly. If only going to give up middle prospects for other spots I could see Brewers going after Realmuto for a good package of prospects. Have to see. Way Brewers are hitting won't be long and start to fade but this pitching has been great. Said in offseason that Chacin would be a guy I'd target but I never pictured this kind of season. Has been great since mid-April.

Mesoraco could be an option at catcher as well as more of a time share type guy vs primary starter. He shouldn't cost much and is in the final year of his deal.

Nottingham is an option too although i don't think he will hit any better than Pina.

I know he isnít on the 40 man and has a history of being an awful hitter. But bethancourt is a good defender and is taking at AAA. Feels like he should probably get a shot soon too.

He has an opt out coming up as well. Would be easy to make room for him. They aren't bringing him up without dumping Kratz.

Quote Originally Posted by long ball View Post
    He has an opt out coming up as well. Would be easy to make room for him. They aren't bringing him up without dumping Kratz.
    I'd be fine with that. I don't think anyone expects Kratz to hit anywhere close to what he's shown so far.

On another note where would the Brewers be w/o Aguilar? Not in first for sure. He is tied for the team-lead in HRs and RBI with Shaw and has 56 less ABs. As I said his approach is so good I don't think he'll go in too extended of a slump either. Team MVP on offense no doubt.

Also, Peralta is really good when he's not walking guys. Can he pitch himself into rotation permanently? I think Davies could take Suter's spot and Suter would be very good long man. He's filled in admirably for sure. Miley is back soon also.

Ya, the Brewers got a little boost from Kratz when they first acquired him, but you're right. It isn't going to continue and he can be DFA'd without any real consequence.

I'm certainly surprised with how important Aguilar has been. I didn't think he'd make the team out of spring and then I thought he'd be the odd man out when they needed to add a pitcher to the 25 man roster. Well, Stearns prolonged the decision as long as possible and then Thames going down in April gave Aguilar the opportunity for regular playing time and he totally took advantage. I still like Thames playing the majority of the time vs RHP, but Aguilar deserves to start the majority of the time. He went through a little cold streak, but he is seemingly out of that now.

Totally agree on Peralta. When he doesn't walk guys he's fantastic. In his two wins he has walked 2 and given up just 3 singles.

The whole situation for the Brewers rotation is going to be interesting. Davies and Anderson are the two most established SP the Brewers have, but they've been the least effective. Chacin and Guerra are locked into the rotation for now. Anderson likely is as well. When Davies returns he will go back into the rotation.

That leaves the last spot in the rotation. Suter has been pretty strong and very consistent, but he hasn't pitched 150 innings since 2014. He isn't exactly young so I don't think they need to baby him, but he has pitched well in the swing man role in the past and is the most logical option for now.

Miley pitched well in his one healthy start. He probably gets an opportunity to get a few starts once he comes off the DL.

Peralta and Woodruff, especially Peralta, have shown some good things. They'll probably continue to be the ones to go up and down and fill in for spot starts. They may spend some time in the bullpen at various points and definitely will be on the roster come September.

Don't forget Nelson coming back at some point. For now Guerra, Chacin, Anderson, Suter, and Peralta works for me but I am almost positive we will add a guy like Happ, Hamels, Ross, Straily, Gausman, or a bigger name like Archer, DeGrom, Syndergaurd, or Hamels. That would likely make the rotation Chacin, Guerra, Anderson, Nelson, and trade piece. Peralta can be a bullpen piece later in the year as his innings pile up, that make Davies and Suter the odd men out, maybe one works in the pen as a long man but one could be traded. Maybe Davies because he would have better value.

I would really hesitate to trade Huira or Peralta but I think we could put together a nice package for a big player with guys like Burnes, Woodruff, Ortiz, Erceg, Phillips, Ray, and Santana or Davies. Other teams like the Yankees will be able to put together better packages but we can put something together if the price is right.
    Last edited by jay87shot; 06-21-2018 at 10:59 AM.

At this point I don't think Nelson is going to provide much of anything this season. He's still throwing on flat ground and hasn't moved back to 150 feet. Once he does move to 150 ft he will have to then throw live BP and then a rehab assignment. I can't imagine he will be back before September. Mid August is probably the most optimistic return time.

Quote Originally Posted by long ball View Post
    At this point I don't think Nelson is going to provide much of anything this season. He's still throwing on flat ground and hasn't moved back to 150 feet. Once he does move to 150 ft he will have to then throw live BP and then a rehab assignment. I can't imagine he will be back before September. Mid August is probably the most optimistic return time.
    Agreed. I am not expecting much from Nelson. You can't expect a guy to come back in September and be in the best form of his career as he was in 2017. 2017 also was the first time he had pitched that well. So, I would not expect anything in that realm, even his mediocre past might be a stretch. Might be able to - if team makes postseason - to be a guy that comes in in the 4th if you take a chance with a pinch-hitter early in a game say the starter struggled to get through 3 with over 60 pitches or something. Agree the team probably needs to add a strong SP but the team needs more offensive punch at C, SS maybe 2B as Villar has been meh.

I am also sorry but I would be remiss if I didn't mention my man-crush Aguilar basically single-handedly carrying this offense right now from an RBI standpoint.

What would people here's interest in Manny Machado be, say we give up Burnes and Woodruff (maybe a lotto ticket prospect like Jevon Ward) for Machado. Maybe package Machado and Gausman (or a reliever) for a Santana and prospects package. We won't be able to re-sign him but I do think we would get a little draft compensation to make up for the prospects. I would be all for it if we don't give up Huira, Ortiz, Ray, or Peralta (star potential prospects). Our lineup would be great and our farm wouldn't take a huge hit.
    Last edited by jay87shot; 06-26-2018 at 08:36 PM.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast