Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 293
  1. #181
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,144
    Machado is really the only SS I'd be interested in. I don't think there is anyone else potentially available who will be worth the hassle. Arcia will at least offer elite defense, but he needs to hit better.

    At catcher i could see them adding a guy to share time with Pina. Pina is a very good defender as well, but needs to hit beter. Basically the same boat as Arcia.

    I think they could ride it out with the guys they have as far as starting pithing goes. They have good depth. Need Anderson and Davies to return to form from 2017 as well as continue to get good innings from Chacin and Guerra. Anything Nelson contributes is gravy even though I'm not expecting anything at this point.

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,671
    It all depends on whoís available for what price for pitching. At the end of the day, we donít need another #4 type starter. We have plenty of guys who can effectively for that mold. If we add pitching, it needs to be a high level guy, even if itís a high level guy whoís struggling some this year. But we need a guy who could potentially be a #2 at least. So we should be making plenty of calls regarding those types. Even though heís having a down year, Iím still keeping up with the rays to see if the price for archer has come down. Cole Hamels and how playoff experience are something Iíd consider as well. Then the obvisous ones like degrom if New York decides to sell.

    For catcher, a guy like Robinson chorizos might be interesting. Heís not a great defender, but has generally swung a pretty decent bat. He very much fits a similar billing to Vogt. And I canít imagine heíll be super expensive since heís 34 and has an injury history. But all in all, heís make sense to me.

    As for SS, itíd be nice if saladino could return soon. I donít think heís the answer, but it would be nice to get a little longer look at him. Outside machado, thereís not much offense likely to be available at short at the deadline, but we may still need to look at those defensive types. If he gets healthy, Adeiny Hechavarria is probably available. Heís a good glove, but not much of a stick. That being said, arcia has been putrid. So upgrading from putrid to below average is a win. Freddy Galvis is a similar guy. Heís not a good hitter, but can pick it at short okay and might still be marginal upgrade at the plate.

    I think thereís some moves to be made that arenít sexy but could help us. Obvisously getting Thor or degrom would be awesome. Even archer would be exciting. But if we instead just got Hech and chirinos, those guys might provide just enough of a lift to get us an extra few wins and get us into the playoffs.

    The other part of the equation is that we are going to run into a 40 man roster crunch again. We have more guys that need protecting and a few borderline guys who could end up being considered for the rule 5 draft. So it might make sense to deal a guy or two who are either on the 40 man currently or who may be left unprotected soon for a 1 year rental anyways.

  3. #183
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,671
    Broxton is the obvisous example of a guy who fits that bill. Heís still a somewhat useful player. But he might be as low as 7th on our total OF depth chart. No sense in him using a 40 man spot since heís likely called up after Phillips anyways. And I think with the way Aguilar is playing, thames may actually get some time in the OF as well. So moving him for an upgrade rental and freeing up a 40 man spot makes sense.

    Less obvisous guys like Jake gatewood, whos finally showcasing his power, might make a good sell high candidate since he needs a 40 man spot next year.

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,144
    Interesting name at SS I just across is Eduardo Escobar of the Twins. At this point they will likely be 5+ games out of the division race and well out of wild card contention when the deadline rolls around.

    Escobar has mostly been a utility man, but has played a lot of SS this year because of Polanco's suspension. He's probably a guy the Twins will be willing to move.

    He's a switch hitter and is hitting well from both sides of the plate. He could be the primary starter at SS and also spell Shaw at 3b against tough lefties.

    He'd presumably cost significantly less than Machado. He may have moved to the top of my wish list.

  5. #185
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,671
    I havenít seen Escobar play much, is he a good defender at short? If heís not a good defender, then Iíd probably pass. I think brad Miller gets his shot first at being a defensively challenged SS. If Escobar is a decent defender, then Iíd add him to the list with guys like Galvis and Hech.

    Really stinks that Dubon got hurt though. I donít think he would have been elite or anything, but would have been nice for him to get a shot.

  6. #186
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Schofield, WI
    Posts
    2,383
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I havenít seen Escobar play much, is he a good defender at short? If heís not a good defender, then Iíd probably pass. I think brad Miller gets his shot first at being a defensively challenged SS. If Escobar is a decent defender, then Iíd add him to the list with guys like Galvis and Hech.

    Really stinks that Dubon got hurt though. I donít think he would have been elite or anything, but would have been nice for him to get a shot.
    I think SS and C are obvious holes right now offensively. But I think the biggest need is SP because in the postseason need starter to set the tone and pitch well for a number of innings. Has a profound impact on the game. Arcia has been pretty clueless as has Pina, but long-term to me the biggest need is SP. As bad as Chase Anderson has been this team doesn't have a front line starter. Chacin and Guerra have been very good but does anyone want them being the G1 or G2 starter in a G7 or in WC win-or-go-home game if they can line up pitcher they want to start?

  7. #187
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,671
    I would love an ace as well, but we would still plan on winning playoff games the same way we win regular season wins and thatís by leaning on our stellar bullpen. That even gets magnified in the playoffs, where more off days make more guys available more often.

    Thatís what KC did a few years back. Verlander dominated a few games for Houston last year, but keuchel stunk for the most part. And guys like Charlie Morton and Brad peacock stepped up.

    Like I said, Iíd love a top shelf pitcher, but to get that, you guys better be ready to part with hiura, burnes and more.

  8. #188
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Schofield, WI
    Posts
    2,383
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I would love an ace as well, but we would still plan on winning playoff games the same way we win regular season wins and thatís by leaning on our stellar bullpen. That even gets magnified in the playoffs, where more off days make more guys available more often.

    Thatís what KC did a few years back. Verlander dominated a few games for Houston last year, but keuchel stunk for the most part. And guys like Charlie Morton and Brad peacock stepped up.

    Like I said, Iíd love a top shelf pitcher, but to get that, you guys better be ready to part with hiura, burnes and more.
    Is the Brewers bullpen that good though? They have 3 guys that have been great. I like Williams but don't trust him in big moments. I think a guy like Burnes or a AAA arm would have to step up and dominate as well for that to work. The Brewers don't have great long-relief guys. Suter is fine but nothing that would scare teams. It would also be nice to have that luxury not to use them every time in the playoffs. Having said all that I am not sure I do it if the cost is really great for a guy like Hamels who seems on last leg especially if have to give up Huira and Burnes. Wouldn't give that up for Happ or really anyone that's available rn. I am not saying the Brewers will do it, but I don't see them winning or going to WS with rotation/pen as is. If they could add a Merrifield/Herrera combo from KC or something and have Villar play some SS? They put Hernan there Sunday. Clear CC wants more offense and who can blame him. A deal for a C or SS seems more likely than a deal for an ace.

  9. #189
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,671
    Happ has been good and probably can be had for less than hiura and burnes. But Iíd be willing to bet theyíre asking for burnes. Or at least Peralta.

    And Hamels is a guy you can target too, but Iím not actually sure heís much of an upgrade. Heís a 3.7 era guy but his fip is over 5, so heís a prime candidate for regression.

    And I think our bullpen is that good. The advantage of the playoffs structure is that you can use your horses almost every game. Hader and jeffress are studs. Knebel has good stuff and can bounce back. Albers has one bad outing to his name but has largely been good. People irrationally hate him, but Barnes has largely been good too. Our bullpen is really good.

  10. #190
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Schofield, WI
    Posts
    2,383
    I like our bullpen too, but to me I don't trust Barnes in big-time moments. Jennings is OK. I agree Hader is big-time. Jeffress has been phenomenal as well. But I don't think the depth is that great. But it's still better than most pens, but I just worry because there isn't one big-time SP on this team the pen is going to be fried by September. CC needs to start letting SPs go deeper in games. He's been taking Guerra out at 80 pitches.

    I would be fine dealing Peralta. He had the unreal start in Colorado but his stuff isn't elite like Burnes.

  11. #191
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,671
    Peralta has better stuff. At his last 3 stops, burnes k% has been 8,8 and 9. Peralta has been 12, 12 and 14. Burnes has more offerings and better command, but when looking at pure stuff, peralta is tough to beat. On paper it may not look crazy impressive, but you donít rack up Ks like that without great stuff.

    And I think youíre underselling the bullpen. No one has 7 guys in the pen who are great. We legit have 2 of the top 5 WAR relievers, an all star closer, and a guy who was sub 2 era last year and is one awful outing away from being sub 2 again this year. Not to mention Barnes, who himself is sub 2 era and is constantly underrated by brewers fans. Guys like Barnes and Jennings are probably the 3rd best option in many bullpens and they are probably the 5th and 6th options in ours. This bullpen is much deeper than people give it credit for.

    And Iím not super worried about bullpen fatigue. People equate innings and outings together too much since so many pitchers threw 1 inning every time for the past 20 years. Thatís not the case. Jeffress is tied for 10th in bullpen appearances. Jennings is like 26th I think. And I donít believe anyone else is top 50. Weíve done a good job of not getting guys up and sitting them down. If you warm up, youíre usually going to throw. And we cycle guys like Williams, houser and those types to make sure we arenít forced to overuse a guy in a tight situation.

    Itís easy to look at total bullpen inning and say weíre going to burn out. But individually, I donít see anyone outside of maybe jeffress, who has a bit of a history of throwing a bunch of outings anyways, as being overworked.

  12. #192
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Schofield, WI
    Posts
    2,383
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Peralta has better stuff. At his last 3 stops, burnes k% has been 8,8 and 9. Peralta has been 12, 12 and 14. Burnes has more offerings and better command, but when looking at pure stuff, peralta is tough to beat. On paper it may not look crazy impressive, but you donít rack up Ks like that without great stuff.

    And I think youíre underselling the bullpen. No one has 7 guys in the pen who are great. We legit have 2 of the top 5 WAR relievers, an all star closer, and a guy who was sub 2 era last year and is one awful outing away from being sub 2 again this year. Not to mention Barnes, who himself is sub 2 era and is constantly underrated by brewers fans. Guys like Barnes and Jennings are probably the 3rd best option in many bullpens and they are probably the 5th and 6th options in ours. This bullpen is much deeper than people give it credit for.

    And Iím not super worried about bullpen fatigue. People equate innings and outings together too much since so many pitchers threw 1 inning every time for the past 20 years. Thatís not the case. Jeffress is tied for 10th in bullpen appearances. Jennings is like 26th I think. And I donít believe anyone else is top 50. Weíve done a good job of not getting guys up and sitting them down. If you warm up, youíre usually going to throw. And we cycle guys like Williams, houser and those types to make sure we arenít forced to overuse a guy in a tight situation.

    Itís easy to look at total bullpen inning and say weíre going to burn out. But individually, I donít see anyone outside of maybe jeffress, who has a bit of a history of throwing a bunch of outings anyways, as being overworked.
    I like Knebel but he hasn't been good this year. No curveball command. Nobody's fastball is good enough without another pitch. I do agree the Brewers pen overall is good. But I am saying they need 1 stud SP. That's it. Guerra going 5 innings in the regular season what would he get in the playoffs? You don't go with SPs longer in the playoffs. This pen can cover innings. But every game covering 4 or 5 or more innings? I don't think so. Maybe I'm wrong. The Brewers have a lead after 6 it would be almost game over way the pen has pitched. Knebel is shaky but has been getting the job done for the most part.

  13. #193
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,671
    I donít see any reason a guy like Guerra wouldnít go 5 in the postseason though too. Just because most teams shorten their starters in the postseason doesnít mean we have to.

    And I agree. Iíd take a stud starter as well. But those guys are super expensive. Happ is having a very good year and has been good in recent years too. But heís not really an ace. Neither is Hamels. When you say you want a stud #1 type, Iím thinking guys like degrom and someone like that. But itís going to cost a ton to get that guy. Iím not against that, just getting peopleís expectations in order.

    And happ would probably be fine. But most the other truly available guys (and we arenít even sure if happ is available) are likely not a major upgrade.

  14. #194
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,144
    Touching on a few things from above:

    Escobar isn't a good defender at SS, but has at least played significant innings there the past two seasons. He's definitely a bat first type player. He leads the MLB in XBH. So his bat plays even if he's bad at SS. The way Counsell double switches, he can always insert Arcia at SS late in games and shift Escobar to 2b if they want to keep his bat in.

    I think the Twins would move Escobar because he's not going to get a qualifying offer, they're not going to stay in contention, they have Sano/Polanco who will be back at some point, and Escobar is having a career year before free agency so they would be smart to cash in since they won't get draft pick compensation for losing him.

    Agree with Crewfan13 that this bullpen is deep enough. Jeffress and Hader have been legit studs. I trust Knebel to get it together. Barnes, Williams, Albers, and Jennings are all reliable. That's 6 deep and that's usually enough once you get to the playoffs.

    An ace like deGrom would be amazing. Don't get me wrong. But do you really want to give up Huira, Burnes, Peralta, and Ray? the whole philosophy since Stearns has taken over has been to build sustainable success. He doesn't want to get into a situation where they have a defined window. If you trade your 4 best prospects for a player you're creating that defined window and 2020 isn't a long enough window for me. I don't think the time is right to pull the trigger on this trade.

    I think I've said this before, but hard pass on Hamels. His DRA is over 6! I would be fine if they brought in Happ or Ross. Bigger thing would be getting Anderson and Davies back as productive members of this rotation.

  15. #195
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,144
    As for what I think it would take to land Escobar it's tough to find comps. Eduardo Nunez is a bat first utility type player and he was traded for a B level SP prospect in 2016 with 1.5 years of control. He was also traded at the deadline last year for a couple of C level prospects when he was an impending FA.

    Escobar is having a better year with the bat than Nunez was, but he's the best comp I could find from recent years. I think on the high side we are looking at Ortiz, Peralta, or Woodruff. Ortiz would be my preference since Peralta and Woodruff are more likely to provide help to the Brewers in 2018 and I think Ortiz likely ends up as a reliever. Could also be a couple guys like Ponce and Diplan paired together.

    I think that's a price I'd be willing to pay.

    The closest thing I could find for a comp to Happ was Pomeranz trade from 2016 which really isn't a great comp since he still had 2.5 years of control whereas Happ will be a FA. Pomeranz cost them top 75ish prospect in MLB 1:1. So since Happ is a FA I think a b-/c+ prospect is probably fair. Probably not one of their top 7-8 prospects.

    I think the Brewers could reasonably acquire these two as well as another decent bullpen arm to help fortify their playoff run. I don't think this significantly affects their farm system either.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •