Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    It's been a week for me now and I'm happy to report that I don't miss it. I do find that it was a go to site when I was bored, now I'm expanding my horizons to news sites that I want to read.
    I deactivated my account last year some time for a good 4 months or so (personal issue) and then reactivated it because of a group that I was/am in was the only way to contact for a few people. I've probably now had it activated again for another 4 months. I used to check it like every hour but ever since I deactivated it that first time, I've gone weeks without checking it and then I'm like "oh, haven't checked this in awhile." Some times I still might check it a couple times throughout the day but most days I either don't check it or check it first thing in the morning before I get ready for work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I deactivated my account last year some time for a good 4 months or so (personal issue) and then reactivated it because of a group that I was/am in was the only way to contact for a few people. I've probably now had it activated again for another 4 months. I used to check it like every hour but ever since I deactivated it that first time, I've gone weeks without checking it and then I'm like "oh, haven't checked this in awhile." Some times I still might check it a couple times throughout the day but most days I either don't check it or check it first thing in the morning before I get ready for work.
    Slippery slope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Slippery slope

It is, I do understand the dilemma. I've already been asked a couple of times to throw a facebook group together this week, no go.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment, is losing contact with some of those people. It's the only way I knew how to get a hold of some.

My mother actually gave me a hard time because my sister now thinks I've blocked her (she is mentally ill and thinks that everything online is real life, ie. I must hate her if I don't like every one of her posts or share them to my timeline. Our relationship has become significantly worse because she believes these types of things).

It is, I do understand the dilemma. I've already been asked a couple of times to throw a facebook group together this week, no go.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment, is losing contact with some of those people. It's the only way I knew how to get a hold of some.

My mother actually gave me a hard time because my sister now thinks I've blocked her (she is mentally ill and thinks that everything online is real life, ie. I must hate her if I don't like every one of her posts or share them to my timeline. Our relationship has become significantly worse because she believes these types of things).
    I am sorry about your sister. I have a lot of experience with mental illness and it is sad to say but some aspects of it you just cant help. I'm not saying not to try but try not to get frustrated when you can't... gl

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I am sorry about your sister. I have a lot of experience with mental illness and it is sad to say but some aspects of it you just cant help. I'm not saying not to try but try not to get frustrated when you can't... gl
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

Deleting Facebook

The only other thing I can think of at the moment, is losing contact with some of those people.

It's the only way I knew how to get a hold of some.
    If these people are meaningful to you - why not pick up the phone?

I don’t mean to give you a hard time - it just seems weird that interpersonal communication has eroded to the point that we use social media exclusively? There are other ways to communicate. What if you wrote someone a hand written letter? If that seems like too much trouble, maybe you’re not really friends. I honestly don’t give a crap about 90% if my FB “friends”, but I suppose I like “likes” so I keep them.

About your sister -- I deleted that part — the success of Facebook comes from the need for social affirmation and getting “likes”. Zuckerberg tapped into something that supports our sense of self worth. For some, it becomes all consuming.

Last edited by Dugmet; 04-04-2018 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    If these people are meaningful to you - why not pick up the phone?

I don’t mean to give you a hard time - it just seems weird that interpersonal communication has eroded to the point that we use social media exclusively? There are other ways to communicate. What if you wrote someone a hand written letter? If that seems like too much trouble, maybe you’re not really friends. I honestly don’t give a crap about 90% if my FB “friends”, but I suppose I like “likes” so I keep them.
    I used to be the guy that picked up the phone, birthdays, Christmas, Easter, New Year's, all that. But then I noticed it was a select few that ever reached out to me. So I stopped doing it except with those that returned the effort, it's a small group of people.

Loving the dog and pony show going on in the Congress with Zuckerberg. Almost as hilarious as the congressional investigations into baseball over steroids. Especially considering exactly what they're 'investigating' is what the media openly fawned over Obama's social media campaign for. You're not going to convince me that the same body of government creatures that passed the Patriot Act (and its descendants) is one that all of a sudden cares about 4th Amendment protections.

In any case, I think we all know this is just a prelude to more internet censorship. It's pretty clear the US government has decided China has the right idea about free speech.

I thought he came out better than the people asking the questions. They went after fb's user agreement for being misleading which describes about 99.9999% of all tech apps/websites since the start of the internet. The Republicans literally complained about fb being too left leaning and the Democrats complained about Russian bots. They asked about Cambridge Analytica and he said fb provided them the same kind of data they provide to all campaigns and advertisers. Then of course they asked a bunch of weird questions they didn't really understand themselves. They want new policy to control fb and it ain't necessarily going to protect the little people.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

Deleting Facebook

This is crazy imo.

I post pictures of my dogs and a very occasional story about art or design. I have maybe 75 “friends” but follow less than 5. I also follow 3 or 4 groups - eye disease, hometown, design organization. Ads are ********. I ignore all of them. I rarely “like” anything other than a ohoto posted by family.

So what exactly is the rest of the world doing with fb that makes it so nefarious?

Last edited by Dugmet; 04-13-2018 at 07:12 AM.

This is crazy imo.

I post pictures of my dogs and a very occasional story about art or design. I have maybe 75 “friends” but follow less than 5. I also follow 3 or 4 groups - eye disease, hometown, design organization. Ads are ********. I ignore all of them. I rarely “like” anything other than a ohoto posted by family.

So what exactly is the rest of the world doing with fb that makes it so nefarious?

You go into the grocery store, like the coke ad and coke has affirmation that targeted adds work, now you have messages / emails contacts of other similar things they think you may like because they know you just liked it.

This is a platform whose revenue comes from targeted advertising so the more they know about you the better ads can be, lots and lots of information is given to FB, this is just about political ads, but the depths advertisers can go and the data to provided to advertisers is the source of FB revenue. Facebook is amazon targeted advertising in real time where ever you are.

The are spending Billions upon billions on expansion and facilities; let alone employees to provide a free service. In Menlo park alone they have done over 1 billion in new construction (based on building permit data) in the last 5 years. That's 1 small city to be able to give away a service.

I think they have added about a million square feet of new leases in the last 90 days in Silicon Valley.
    Last edited by SfgiantsJD3; 04-13-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SfgiantsJD3 View Post
    You go into the grocery store, like the coke ad and coke has affirmation that targeted adds work, now you have messages / emails contacts of other similar things they think you may like because they know you just liked it.

This is a platform whose revenue comes from targeted advertising so the more they know about you the better ads can be, lots and lots of information is given to FB, this is just about political ads, but the depths advertisers can go and the data to provided to advertisers is the source of FB revenue. Facebook is amazon targeted advertising in real time where ever you are.

The are spending Billions upon billions on expansion and facilities; let alone employees to provide a free service. In Menlo park alone they have done over 1 billion in new construction (based on building permit data) in the last 5 years. That's 1 small city to be able to give away a service.

I think they have added about a million square feet of new leases in the last 90 days in Silicon Valley.
    Yeah I know the grocery store tracks what I buy. That's good. I appreciate the targeted coupons.

I'm talking FB here. The less you give them the less they have to work with. Who the **** looks at it for news or advertising? I post dog pictures and I really don't look at anyone else's **** except for my sister's dog pictures.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 04-13-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Yeah I know the grocery store tracks what I buy. That's good. I appreciate the targeted coupons.

I'm talking FB here. The less you give them the less they have to work with. Who the **** looks at it for news or advertising? I post dog pictures and I really don't look at anyone else's **** except for my sister's dog pictures.

Point is they have access to an enormous amount of information from those that opt in which is a very large portion of the population. I think you are not the normal user (nor am I).

They have a monster monitor in the EBC that you can touch any where in the world and zoom in to a town and see how many users and how many online, then you can zoom in more and get much more data at a very local personal level.

https://www.techradar.com/news/nearl...ts-survey-says

I don`t know how much credibility they have. It`s a big number but not in the big picture for facebook. I really like the last paragraph written.

The problem with all of this is that, whether you like it or not, it’s growing more and more clear across the internet landscape that, if you’re not paying for the product, then at some level you yourself are the product. So, unless attitudes change toward paying directly for social media and other connected services, there will always be a third party for those services to please (ie advertisers).

Quote Originally Posted by SfgiantsJD3 View Post
    Point is they have access to an enormous amount of information from those that opt in which is a very large portion of the population. I think you are not the normal user (nor am I).

They have a monster monitor in the EBC that you can touch any where in the world and zoom in to a town and see how many users and how many online, then you can zoom in more and get much more data at a very local personal level.
    The point I want to make is that if u r using FB for more than dog pics, cat videos or making everyone aware of how super awesome your trip to Hawaii was - get off of it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234