Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
    So your reservation about Jackson is that he has an exceptional ability to run?

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    So your reservation about Jackson is that he has an exceptional ability to run?
    No. My reservation about Jackson is that QBs as athletically gifted as he is tend to not develop as pocket passers, or at least develop slowly. I want a pocket passer.

As draft day gets closer, I have a sneaking suspicion that itís Josh Allen that the Bills are looking to trade up for. Iíve kind of been feeling this way for awhile. Even with a jump to 2, I believed theyíd take Allen over Rosen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    No. My reservation about Jackson is that QBs as athletically gifted as he is tend to not develop as pocket passers, or at least develop slowly. I want a pocket passer.
    I understand that, but you can't overlook things so much just because you have a preferred style. Elite QB athletes have proven that they can be successful in the NFL. We're not talking about someone like Tyrod. You also risk purposely being blind to other things in favor of that preferred style, which seems to be what's happening with your thought process being take blank QB in the 2nd round instead. Regardless of style, is that QB going to be better? It's doubtful.

One is projected after the 1st round for a reason and one within it. It's no different than making an argument for a 2nd or 3rd round QB over Mayfield. You are basically willing to accept a drop off in overall talent just for the sake of a style. That would be great if any pocket QB would suffice, but that's not how it works. There's still a certain level of play that needs to be achieved regardless of style.

I'm also aware that draft grades don't necessarily equal success in the NFL, but the process here is still wrong.

The reality is that the game has been evolving. Your Bradys, Brees, Rivers, etc. are all at the end of their careers. Even Rodgers is already 34 years old. However, guys like Cam and Russell Wilson are still in their 20s.

This is a transition period for the league and as of now it's not completely clear who the next wave of QBs will be outside of maybe Wentz. On the other side of that you have guys like Mariota and Watson who have been equally as impressive. There's no telling which way it'll go, but my guess is that both styles will experience success, especially with their being less strictly pocket passers, but more mobile QBs.

It's better to get ahead than to be stuck in the past. I say that to mean that there is no need for a team to box themselves in. Passing and scoring points will always be at a premium, but the constraints have slowly been coming off as to how teams can achieve this. The 2015 Panthers went 15-1 and had the highest scoring offense in the league.
    Last edited by smood999; 04-16-2018 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    As draft day gets closer, I have a sneaking suspicion that itís Josh Allen that the Bills are looking to trade up for. Iíve kind of been feeling this way for awhile. Even with a jump to 2, I believed theyíd take Allen over Rosen.
    That would set us back 3years. Have to wonder a little - if the Bills can't secure a top QB (and I really hope Allen is not on that list), will the Bills regret trading Tyrod

Quote Originally Posted by Old Smuggler View Post
    That would set us back 3years. Have to wonder a little - if the Bills can't secure a top QB (and I really hope Allen is not on that list), will the Bills regret trading Tyrod
    The problem is, it's not exactly a secret that the Bills are decently desperate at QB. The Bills could really get bent over the barrel in the trade market with that.

Quote Originally Posted by CakeOrDeath View Post
    The problem is, it's not exactly a secret that the Bills are decently desperate at QB. The Bills could really get bent over the barrel in the trade market with that.
    Yes, agreed. It's almost as if ending the drought was its own curse to us, as now we have a worse draft pick and will need to pay extra when Beane was stock piling last year.

At this point, the two teams that won't trade with the Bills are the Jets and Phins and a trade with the Giants might require 2 moves. It's hard to tell which QB is the top QB on everyone's list or even which QB that the Bills want to target. If it's Darnold and the Browns decide to take Allen, then the Bills know that they must trade up to #2 and need to be prepared to offer the Giants at least 500 points more than the value of the #2 pick. This means that the Bills must trade picks 12 and 22 plus an additional 1120 points and since the Giants wante a first rounder for next year from the Jets in a proposed trade down to six, they almost certainly would expect the Bills first rounder from next year as part of that package.

Yeah I think it would cost 3 firsts and some players but I would so it for darnold.

Mayfield to the Jets is what the reporters around here are saying. Todd McShay has reported thatís what heís hearing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    Mayfield to the Jets is what the reporters around here are saying. Todd McShay has reported thatís what heís hearing as well.
    My mind's eye called that months ago. No need to report anything about Mayfield or the Jets anymore. The minds eye of chonginc. has spoken.

I understand that, but you can't overlook things so much just because you have a preferred style. Elite QB athletes have proven that they can be successful in the NFL. We're not talking about someone like Tyrod. You also risk purposely being blind to other things in favor of that preferred style, which seems to be what's happening with your thought process being take blank QB in the 2nd round instead. Regardless of style, is that QB going to be better? It's doubtful.

One is projected after the 1st round for a reason and one within it. It's no different than making an argument for a 2nd or 3rd round QB over Mayfield. You are basically willing to accept a drop off in overall talent just for the sake of a style. That would be great if any pocket QB would suffice, but that's not how it works. There's still a certain level of play that needs to be achieved regardless of style.

I'm also aware that draft grades don't necessarily equal success in the NFL, but the process here is still wrong.

The reality is that the game has been evolving. Your Bradys, Brees, Rivers, etc. are all at the end of their careers. Even Rodgers is already 34 years old. However, guys like Cam and Russell Wilson are still in their 20s.

This is a transition period for the league and as of now it's not completely clear who the next wave of QBs will be outside of maybe Wentz. On the other side of that you have guys like Mariota and Watson who have been equally as impressive. There's no telling which way it'll go, but my guess is that both styles will experience success, especially with their being less strictly pocket passers, but more mobile QBs.

It's better to get ahead than to be stuck in the past. I say that to mean that there is no need for a team to box themselves in. Passing and scoring points will always be at a premium, but the constraints have slowly been coming off as to how teams can achieve this. The 2015 Panthers went 15-1 and had the highest scoring offense in the league.
    I have other concerns with Jackson. I just don't see a polished QB. His vision, decision-making, accuracy, ability to go through is progressions is all very average. He also lacks zip on his ball. I see a QB who's going to struggle when NFL defenses force him to throw from the pocket. Jackson also had the most underwhelming combine performance to me. His frame is small and that's a concern to me also. Russell Wilson and Cam Newton both trump Jackson in arm strength and both were more accomplished pocket passers coming out. Newton is in a class of his own physically, but even he has paid the price for being a tuck-and-run QB. It would also be appropriate to bring look at RGIII's career, as an under-sized athletic QB who took a pounding using that athleticism in the NFL. He was also considerably better than Jackson in terms of his ability to stand in the pocket and anticipate.

All together, there are too many concerns with Jackson. The Bills have the ability to land almost whomever they wish, perhaps with the exception of Darnold who I believe goes to Cleveland at 1. They're in too good of a position to take such a gamble on Jackson.

I'm still going to say they draft Rosen.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Smuggler View Post
    Nope. Tyrod was replaceable.

I'd have to think they had some sort of plan in place when they traded tyrod. I guess the fallback to that plan is mccaron. Even then, they waited and were able to get mccaron after all the FA QBs were taken. It's not like they went after mccaron Day 1 of free agency.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast