Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tank Watch

Tank Watch

Current standings and upcoming schedules. Things would have to go our way but I think there is a path for us to climb up a few spots.

Code:
    Orlando
    20-47	.299 	1.5

Atlanta
    20-47	.299 	1.5

Brooklyn
    21-46	.313 	2.5

Sacramento
    21-46	.313 	2.5

Dallas
    21-46	.313 	2.5

Chicago
    23-43	.348	5.0

New York
    24-43	.358	5.5
    Knicks
    Dallas
    Philadelphia
    Charlotte
    Chicago
    Miami
    Minnesota
    Washington
    Charlotte
    Philadelphia
    Detroit
    Orlando
    Miami
    Milwaukee
    Cleveland
    Cleveland

Bulls
    LA
    Memphis
    Cleveland
    NY Knicks
    Denver
    Milwaukee
    Detroit
    Houston
    Miami
    Orlando
    Washington
    Charlotte
    Boston
    Brooklyn
    Brooklyn

Detroit

Mavs
    NY Knicks
    Toronto
    Brooklyn
    New Orleans
    Utah
    Charlotte
    Sacramento
    Los Angeles
    Minnesota
    Cleveland
    Portland
    Orlando
    Detroit
    Philadelphia
    Phoenix

Kings
    Oklahoma City
    Miami
    Golden State
    Utah
    Detroit
    Atlanta
    Boston
    Dallas
    Indiana
    Golden State
    Los Angeles
    Phoenix
    Memphis

San Antonio
    Houston

Nets
    Toronto
    Philadelphia
    Dallas
    Memphis

Charlotte
    Toronto
    Cleveland
    Orlando
    Miami
    Detroit
    Philadelphia
    Milwaukee
    Chicago
    Chicago

Boston

Hawks
    Oklahoma City
    Charlotte
    Milwaukee
    Utah
    Sacramento
    Golden State
    Houston
    Minnesota
    Philadelphia
    Orlando
    Miami
    Miami
    Washington
    Boston
    Philadelphia

Orlando
    San Antonio
    Milwaukee
    Boston
    Toronto
    Philadelphia
    Phoenix
    Brooklyn
    Chicago
    Atlanta
    NY Knicks
    Dallas

Charlotte
    Toronto
    Milwaukee
    Washington

Thanks for posting this - I laid some of this out in the other thread as well. So my thought here is that we jump the Bulls no question.

Then Nets also look like they will be possible to catch of the next three, given they have no incentive to lose. But on strength of schedule I think Dallas is the better bet. Will come down to how far they go out of their way to lose.

Big game tomorrow vs Mavs - It will be hard to hide intentions I feel
    Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

I think that game vs Chicago and the two vs Cleveland are the only games left that truly matter on the tank. Chicago is the only team we can realistically get ahead of and those Cleveland games have serious risk of being rest games for them that can allow for us to sneak in an extra win or two at the buzzer, like we have the last two seasons. Whatever happens on the rest of the others happens and you can't lose every game. Well, unless you're Memphis, I guess.

To add extra context, here is the remaining schedule strength for each team here.

Knicks
    .485 (19th in NBA)

Bulls
    .480 (21st in NBA)

Mavs
    .471 (23rd in NBA)

Kings
    .525 (11th in NBA)

Nets
    .492 (16th in NBA)

Hawks
    .550 (6th in NBA)

Orlando
    .483 (20th in NBA)

Honestly, the way things are looking for the upcoming draft... who the heck are we targeting that we wouldn't be able to get if we played the rest of the way straight and ended somewhere between 6-9 for the selection. If by some miracle we ended up with the no. 1 pick, would we take DeAndre Ayton and pair him next to KP?!?!
    "Isiah's about as safe as me in a room full of cookies, If I'm in a room full of cookies the cookies ain't got no chance." --- Sir Charles

I think two of Chicago, BK, Orlando, and Dallas, but almost definitely Chicago. This is possible. Keep in mind the lead the Knicks had over Minnesota in 2015. Things happen...it wouldn't be shocking for Orlando to win 3/7 or 4/7 during that stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Honestly, the way things are looking for the upcoming draft... who the heck are we targeting that we wouldn't be able to get if we played the rest of the way straight and ended somewhere between 6-9 for the selection. If by some miracle we ended up with the no. 1 pick, would we take DeAndre Ayton and pair him next to KP?!?!
    There is a perceived drop off after 6 or 7, so that would definitely be worth it. Also, being at 6 or 7 gives more of a chance to move up into the top 3.

And YES, take Ayton and figure out the rest later. That's like Embiid or Towns becoming available and wanting to go to the Knicks, but the Knicks passing. I would make the exception of KP at PF for one of those guys. We always ask what if the Sixers had drafted KP instead of Okafor...well the Knicks would have a chance to find out. Doncic is another option with the top pick.

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Yes. There are two sides of the ball and there is a give and take with every matchup decision. Let a team willingly play a small PF or small C against KP or Ayton all game and see what happens to them. KP and Ayton would be the most physically dominant PF and C duo since Ralph Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwon. You don't pass on potential like that because you're worried about the occasional 3 pointer.

Or, if for whatever reason the Knicks wouldn't want to do that, they could also take Luka Doncic with a smile.

Either way, the thought of it sucks cause it's not happening lol.

Quote Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
    Yes. There are two sides of the ball and there is a give and take with every matchup decision. Let a team willingly play a small PF or small C against KP or Ayton all game and see what happens to them. KP and Ayton would be the most physically dominant PF and C duo since Ralph Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwon. You don't pass on potential like that because you're worried about the occasional 3 pointer.

Or, if for whatever reason the Knicks wouldn't want to do that, they could also take Luka Doncic with a smile.

Either way, the thought of it sucks cause it's not happening lol.
    Yup and both can step out and shoot. There wouldn't be much issue with spacing.

Everyone likes to point to Hinkie as a reason why you shouldn't just take BPA, but Ainge has been doing the same thing. Brown and Tatum in back-to-back years, then going out and signing Hayward. Rozier and Smart with Bradley and IT already on the roster. He has also expressed this approach publicly.

There are times when it makes sense and times when it doesn't. The only time it doesn't make sense for the Knicks is if it hurts KP in some way.

If you don't like a BPA approach, then do BPA within tiers to cover needs.

#1- the way the mock drafts are and games I've watched, there are 10 or 11 top players that will be anyones' guess when the picks starting at say #5 start.

#2 - saying we are passing the Bulls is not as easy as everyone makes it out to be, the key is do the knicks beat Dallas and Bulls game is huge. If we will drop then losing this game is so key. If we win that just makes life so much harder. This Dallas game with the way Timmy is playing and how Kanter will play against them and if one of our PG stands out Jeff will stay with him, so lots riding on the head to head.

#3- the old ping pong balls apply so finishing 6,7,8 you will barely notice the difference it's like 1% so the key is not to finish #9 and it really doesn't matter much to move up more than one slot.
    Everyone really needs to look at the charts for the lottery, it's a real eye opener so hopefully the Bulls beat us and pass us, and that folks is all we need.

#4 most other teams that are 3 or more behind in the wins will be real difficult, unless you really fell in the last 15 games Knicks won't win one or two? I'll take that bet any day, and my gut says they win up to three with this roster over some others or teams resting etc.

So to conclude the Bulls game is the key game for us and somehow Knicks need to get that 8th slot.

Quote Originally Posted by PC View Post
    Current standings and upcoming schedules. Things would have to go our way but I think there is a path for us to climb up a few spots.

Code:
    Orlando
    20-47	.299 	1.5

Atlanta
    20-47	.299 	1.5

Brooklyn
    21-46	.313 	2.5

Sacramento
    21-46	.313 	2.5

Dallas
    21-46	.313 	2.5

Chicago
    23-43	.348	5.0

New York
    24-43	.358	5.5
    Knicks
    Dallas
    Philadelphia
    Charlotte
    Chicago
    Miami
    Minnesota
    Washington
    Charlotte
    Philadelphia
    Detroit
    Orlando
    Miami
    Milwaukee
    Cleveland
    Cleveland

Bulls
    LA
    Memphis
    Cleveland
    NY Knicks
    Denver
    Milwaukee
    Detroit
    Houston
    Miami
    Orlando
    Washington
    Charlotte
    Boston
    Brooklyn
    Brooklyn

Detroit

Mavs
    NY Knicks
    Toronto
    Brooklyn
    New Orleans
    Utah
    Charlotte
    Sacramento
    Los Angeles
    Minnesota
    Cleveland
    Portland
    Orlando
    Detroit
    Philadelphia
    Phoenix

Kings
    Oklahoma City
    Miami
    Golden State
    Utah
    Detroit
    Atlanta
    Boston
    Dallas
    Indiana
    Golden State
    Los Angeles
    Phoenix
    Memphis

San Antonio
    Houston

Nets
    Toronto
    Philadelphia
    Dallas
    Memphis

Charlotte
    Toronto
    Cleveland
    Orlando
    Miami
    Detroit
    Philadelphia
    Milwaukee
    Chicago
    Chicago

Boston

Hawks
    Oklahoma City
    Charlotte
    Milwaukee
    Utah
    Sacramento
    Golden State
    Houston
    Minnesota
    Philadelphia
    Orlando
    Miami
    Miami
    Washington
    Boston
    Philadelphia

Orlando
    San Antonio
    Milwaukee
    Boston
    Toronto
    Philadelphia
    Phoenix
    Brooklyn
    Chicago
    Atlanta
    NY Knicks
    Dallas

Charlotte
    Toronto
    Milwaukee
    Washington
    given the current schedule i think we will go 4-11 i'm hopeful we can at least move up to 7 from our current #9

Quote Originally Posted by eddyv7 View Post
    given the current schedule i think we will go 4-11 i'm hopeful we can at least move up to 7 from our current #9
    this would be very difficult in your scenario if Knicks win 4 games.

Each team below has a 31% winning record so based on 15 games means they should be a track for 4-5 wins which equals the Knicks.

So in the case each team stays status quo that means Knicks can only win 1 more game and I think fans are missing the math.

another area and I know PC probably thought about and will be oh so important but to early accept in two cases is the tie breaker.

So why I think we could pass the Bulls and no one else is we own the tie breaker for dropping a spot, even without the game we play them they beat us 3x.

The nets who have nothing to lose for is still 3 games behind us which means they have to be better than the Knicks by 4 games since we beat them 4x.

When your a bottom feeder and have to make up 3-4 games to pass a team with 15 games left, its really hard.

Now as Smood said stranger things have happened but now lots of luck has to happen.

And I'll keep repeating the difference between 6-8 is almost nothing for ping pong %'s.

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    this would be very difficult in your scenario if Knicks win 4 games.

Each team below has a 31% winning record so based on 15 games means they should be a track for 4-5 wins which equals the Knicks.

So in the case each team stays status quo that means Knicks can only win 1 more game and I think fans are missing the math.

another area and I know PC probably thought about and will be oh so important but to early accept in two cases is the tie breaker.

So why I think we could pass the Bulls and no one else is we own the tie breaker for dropping a spot, even without the game we play them they beat us 3x.

The nets who have nothing to lose for is still 3 games behind us which means they have to be better than the Knicks by 4 games since we beat them 4x.

When your a bottom feeder and have to make up 3-4 games to pass a team with 15 games left, its really hard.

Now as Smood said stranger things have happened but now lots of luck has to happen.

And I'll keep repeating the difference between 6-8 is almost nothing for ping pong %'s.
    It won't matter for some of these teams, but the Knicks only have the head-to-head series over the Nets and Suns.

Huge game tomorrow but if we lose we finish 7th

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    #1- the way the mock drafts are and games I've watched, there are 10 or 11 top players that will be anyones' guess when the picks starting at say #5 start.

#2 - saying we are passing the Bulls is not as easy as everyone makes it out to be, the key is do the knicks beat Dallas and Bulls game is huge. If we will drop then losing this game is so key. If we win that just makes life so much harder. This Dallas game with the way Timmy is playing and how Kanter will play against them and if one of our PG stands out Jeff will stay with him, so lots riding on the head to head.

#3- the old ping pong balls apply so finishing 6,7,8 you will barely notice the difference it's like 1% so the key is not to finish #9 and it really doesn't matter much to move up more than one slot.
    Everyone really needs to look at the charts for the lottery, it's a real eye opener so hopefully the Bulls beat us and pass us, and that folks is all we need.

#4 most other teams that are 3 or more behind in the wins will be real difficult, unless you really fell in the last 15 games Knicks won't win one or two? I'll take that bet any day, and my gut says they win up to three with this roster over some others or teams resting etc.

So to conclude the Bulls game is the key game for us and somehow Knicks need to get that 8th slot.
    I think if you are eyeing the #1 pick there is essentially no difference between 6 and 8. But if you are looking at cracking top 3, it is pretty noticeable. For example, your chances at a top 3 pick more than double between 6 and 8. Easier said than done but if a couple of the teams win most or all of their easy games in red, we may be able to leapfrog them.

Code:
    Seed	Top 3
    1	64%
    2	56%
    3	47%
    4	38%
    5	29%
    6	22%
    7	15%
    8	10%
    9	6%
    10	4%