Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Blackhawks March/April IGT

Toews just came out and dropped the gloves for the start of the 2nd in Anaheim. I've been very critical of him this year, but I have to give him some major kudos for that scrap with Kesler. The Hawks played poorly in the 1st after an emotional win in LA and that's exactly why he threw down. That's the kind of fire that's been missing from the entire team this year. Very glad to see the captain stepping up to light a fire here. All of a sudden, the Hawks are skating in this game.

Feels like time to blow this thing up. Kane could still get a haul- other than him we look that bad.

Hopefully crow is ok but I doubt he is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Theyíll never blow things up and the last thing Iíd do is trade Kane. He and Crawford are currently our only elite players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roto

Jan Rutta (lower body) is good to return on Thursday.

Rutta missed four straight contests. He also signed a one-year deal Thursday afternoon that's reportedly worth $2.25 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Theyíll never blow things up and the last thing Iíd do is trade Kane. He and Crawford are currently our only elite players.

I think Keith could look a lot better if the rest of our defense wasn't trash. Probably not as good as he was, but still better than this year. Maybe a long summer will rejuvenate our players. Saad, in particular, I expect to have a monster year next year. He's got some of the best possession numbers in the league, but it's not resulting in points. Ultimately, it comes down to puck luck. I think Toews could also bounce back and be elite again. He's still very strong defensively and in the face-off circle. He's also very strong on the puck. It's just a matter of linemates finishing chances or Toews being more aggressive and making plays happen himself.

I think missing the playoffs will light a fire underneath both our players' and our front office/coaching staff. I think we'll be active in free agency and looking to add to our defense. It's clear that our defense is the biggest problem. Some UFA defensemen I would target are John Carlson, Calvin de Haan, Zdeno Chara, John Moore, and Nick Holden. I wouldn't overspend, but if you can get a solid deal on one of those defensemen, I think that helps. I'd also try to target a defenseman in trade as well. My goal would be to overhaul the d-core. If you can move Seabrook, that's huge. Otherwise, you wait till you can buy him out with a compliance buyout (if it's part of the new CBA).

The other thing we could use is a secondary face-off option to lighten the load on Toews. Toews takes a ton of the tough draws. Getting another 50+% face-off option lightens the load on Toews and keeps him fresher throughout the season. I think some of the problem with Toews is overuse. If you could get a Valteri Filppula, Tomas Plekanec, Derek Ryan, Antoine Vermette, Tyler Bozak, or another 3C type that can win 50+% of their face-offs while contributing at close to a top-9 forward level, that's huge.

If you can fix those two things and maybe add another top-9 type wing (a big if) as well as have a healthy Corey Crawford (also a big if), that's a playoff team and one that can do damage once they get in.
    Last edited by CubbieKid17; 03-09-2018 at 03:51 AM.

2016 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WorldChamps1908 View Post
    roto
    That's not bad. Just a 1-year deal and he's been solid for the most part. Not perfect, but a solid defenseman that can play 4-5 defenseman minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Feels like time to blow this thing up. Kane could still get a haul- other than him we look that bad.

Hopefully crow is ok but I doubt he is.

Cubby is right. They'll never blow things up. Kane, Keith, Toews, etc. sell tickets. The Hawks want sellouts. They aren't going to give that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Cubby is right. They'll never blow things up. Kane, Keith, Toews, etc. sell tickets. The Hawks want sellouts. They aren't going to give that up.
    Yep. Youíve just really gotta hope Keith and Toews somehow bounce back, on top of us adding to the D. But our recent extensions tell me Stan is pretty content bringing most of the D back which to be honest really pisses me off. I donít see how you can look at their production and not see we need to change up at least half of that part of the team.

Iím admittedly a big fan of our forward group going forward and I think Crawford coming back will chalk up at least five or six extra wins (our goaltending has been that bad this year), but our D sucks. We have no impact defenseman. Keith is still probably a top pair guy. Oesterle has looked good and I think heís a second pairing guy. But what else do we have? A conglomerate of third pair guys? Forsling has potential and we have a few young guys on the cusp of the NHL, but who knows with them?

If Stan is really content with this group he needs to be fired. Itís that simple. The only way it works out is if we hit on a McAvoy type with our pick this year and if youíre banking on that then youíre more optimistic than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Yep. Youíve just really gotta hope Keith and Toews somehow bounce back, on top of us adding to the D. But our recent extensions tell me Stan is pretty content bringing most of the D back which to be honest really pisses me off. I donít see how you can look at their production and not see we need to change up at least half of that part of the team.

Iím admittedly a big fan of our forward group going forward and I think Crawford coming back will chalk up at least five or six extra wins (our goaltending has been that bad this year), but our D sucks. We have no impact defenseman. Keith is still probably a top pair guy. Oesterle has looked good and I think heís a second pairing guy. But what else do we have? A conglomerate of third pair guys? Forsling has potential and we have a few young guys on the cusp of the NHL, but who knows with them?

If Stan is really content with this group he needs to be fired. Itís that simple. The only way it works out is if we hit on a McAvoy type with our pick this year and if youíre banking on that then youíre more optimistic than I am.

Agreed 100% with the bolded. I think we make a play for John Carlson, who would absolutely make our D a lot better. We could also get extremely lucky and win the draft lottery. Adding Rasmus Dahlin to this defense makes them a lot better, rookie or not. Realistically, I think we draft somewhere between #5-9. That should allow us to take a defenseman that should be NHL-ready in a year or two at the earliest or a forward that might be NHL-ready right away, but is probably at least a year away. Carlson is a realistic target IMO. He's young, entering his prime, and would be 35 at the end of a 7-year deal, which is probably what it would take to land him. He also plays the time of game that should age well. Also, Jokiharju could be NHL-ready. I think we bring in a solid free agent defenseman or two (maybe even Carlson) and give Jokiharju and Forsling a chance to earn spots in training camp.

I would love to move Seabrook. It breaks my heart to say this as he's done so much for this team, but his best days are behind him. I also wouldn't mind moving Murphy if we could get a good return for him. I like Rutta and Forsling. Not a huge fan of Gustafsson, but he's shown flashes. Oesterle has looked pretty solid for the most part. Not my favorite defenseman, but he's solid. I'd love if Oesterle was enough to be the sweetener to trade Seabrook's contract, but I don't think he's close to that. I could see Seabrook being traded with Forsling and possibly the Nashville 1st for a 2nd or a decent player. Even though I like Forsling, I think he's redundant with all the small, good-skating defensemen we have in our system. Someone like Jokiharju, Krys, or Mitchell could come in and be better than him in a few years.

I'd also like to see us target a young defenseman with top-4 potential in a trade. There were rumors that the Hawks and Flyers were talking trade at the deadline and the Hawks were targeting one of Travis Sanheim or Samuel Morin. The Flyers reportedly had interest in Murphy, Anisimov, and Hartman (before we traded him). Maybe something based around Murphy for Sanheim would make sense for both teams as all of Philly's good young defensemen are LHD. Sanheim would give us a good skating LHD with good size and top-4 potential.

I believe it for sure. I just think Kane and Crawford are our only remaining impact players and it concerns me.

Not sure we've hit rock bottom yet

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    I believe it for sure. I just think Kane and Crawford are our only remaining impact players and it concerns me.

Not sure we've hit rock bottom yet

I personally think Toews and Keith bounce back. Toews has shown flashes. Keith's also got one of the best work ethics of any of our players. Crawford needs to stay healthy for us to have any chance of making the playoffs next year. I think we're in for a 1 or 2 year retool where our young players grow and get experience. During this time, we may make the playoffs, but I think our Cup window doesn't open back up for another year or two. I'd like to see us sign John Carlson. He shouldn't break the back and is an elite RHD IMO. He'd help solidify our d-core. I think it's possible to sign him even if we don't trade Seabrook, although we'd have to get more creative depending on where the salary cap for next year winds up at.

The good thing is, we have some young players that have flashed elite play. Schmaltz, DeBrincat, and Saad have all shown flashes of elite play. Jokiharju has shown elite potential in the WHL. Their development as well as our draft picks this year will determine whether our Cup window opens back up in a year or two. For all we know, we may win the draft lottery and draft Rasmus Dahlin. Or we could end up drafting 9th overall and getting a player that's 2-3 years away but still has impact player potential. It sucks being bad this year, but we picked a really good draft year to be bad in. This draft is loaded with potential impact players. The top-5 of this draft all have elite potential IMO, and Rasmus Dahlin could be a franchise defenseman. Draft anywhere in the top-10 and you're almost guaranteed a potential impact player.

I'd also be cool with not spending a ton of money and trying to gain financial flexibility while we retool our roster. Anisimov, Hossa, and Seabrook are the 3 big contracts I'd be looking to move. Buy low on players that have underperformed, and gather draft picks for a year or two. Then once the cap goes up to a number where we have good cap flexibility, go and sign the big free agent that can put your team over the top as a Cup contender. My #1 priority would be developing the younger players and trying to build a good, young defensive core.

Returning most of this defense is really disappointing.

Returning most of this defense is really disappointing.
    Truth, although I'd keep Keith (duh), Murphy (I think he could make some positive progression in year 2), Oesterle (he's been pretty solid), and Rutta (he's also been pretty solid). The pieces aren't necessarily the problem. It's the fact that they're being used as top-4 defenseman out of necessity. Add John Carlson and a young d-man with top-4 potential and I feel a bit better about our defense.

One idea I had was to trade Crawford (25-50% retained) along with the Nashville 1st to Carolina for Scott Darling (15-30% retained), Haydn Fleury, and their 1st. This allows us to get a young d-man with top-4 potential, a better draft pick, and we get to take a chance on Darling bouncing back for us. For Carolina, they finally get an elite goaltender for the next 2 years at a price similar to what they were paying Darling, they move a very talented but ultimately expendable d-man with the current strength of their d-core, they move most of the Darling contract which has been bad for them, and they move down 20 picks or so in the 1st. That trade makes them a playoff team IMO, and allows us to retool our defense and get another really solid prospect in the draft.

Then I'd look to move Forsling+ with Seabrook (not sure what the + would be) or possibly trade Seabrook straight up for Loui Eriksson, who I think would fit in well here. Sign Carlson and your d-core is like this:

Keith-Murphy
    Fleury-Carlson
    Oesterle-Rutta

That's not bad, especially if you can get Murphy to work on his puck skills. That buys you another year for Jokiharju, who may or may not be ready next year. If he's ready, you look to move one of Murphy, Oesterle, or Rutta. Of course, this all changes if we somehow win the draft lottery and draft Rasmus Dahlin #1 overall. From what I hear, he's played on the right side, but I wonder if he'd switch over to his natural side in the NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by CubbieKid17 View Post
    Truth, although I'd keep Keith (duh), Murphy (I think he could make some positive progression in year 2), Oesterle (he's been pretty solid), and Rutta (he's also been pretty solid). The pieces aren't necessarily the problem. It's the fact that they're being used as top-4 defenseman out of necessity. Add John Carlson and a young d-man with top-4 potential and I feel a bit better about our defense.

One idea I had was to trade Crawford (25-50% retained) along with the Nashville 1st to Carolina for Scott Darling (15-30% retained), Haydn Fleury, and their 1st. This allows us to get a young d-man with top-4 potential, a better draft pick, and we get to take a chance on Darling bouncing back for us. For Carolina, they finally get an elite goaltender for the next 2 years at a price similar to what they were paying Darling, they move a very talented but ultimately expendable d-man with the current strength of their d-core, they move most of the Darling contract which has been bad for them, and they move down 20 picks or so in the 1st. That trade makes them a playoff team IMO, and allows us to retool our defense and get another really solid prospect in the draft.

Then I'd look to move Forsling+ with Seabrook (not sure what the + would be) or possibly trade Seabrook straight up for Loui Eriksson, who I think would fit in well here. Sign Carlson and your d-core is like this:

Keith-Murphy
    Fleury-Carlson
    Oesterle-Rutta

That's not bad, especially if you can get Murphy to work on his puck skills. That buys you another year for Jokiharju, who may or may not be ready next year. If he's ready, you look to move one of Murphy, Oesterle, or Rutta. Of course, this all changes if we somehow win the draft lottery and draft Rasmus Dahlin #1 overall. From what I hear, he's played on the right side, but I wonder if he'd switch over to his natural side in the NHL.
    I agree with the bolded. I can't see where we can fit Carlson in, though.

As if this season wasn't a throw away already, we finally lost to the Buffalo Sabres today.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast