Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

March 2018 game thread

After a perfect 12-0 February in what was actually a pretty tough month, the Rockets face arguably their toughest test yet in March. Of their 15 games this month, 11 come against teams in the playoff hunt and all of those games come in an 11 of 12-game stretch starting tonight against Boston. They also have a ridiculous FOUR back-to-backs this month, which is crazy. If the Rockets want to really maximize their depth, this is the month to do it.

To make matters more challenging, the Warriors' schedule is super soft and they're on a little winning streak right now as well. So while the Rockets have a two-game lead in the loss column technically, they could easily lose it this month if they don't perform extremely well. But I have faith, and despite the tough schedule, there's not really a game this month that scares me on paper.

I do think we'll learn a lot about this team in the next four games, though, as all four are against damn good basketball teams and three of them are against teams the Rockets lost to prior this season. I'm actually going to the Celtics game tonight, my first game to see in-person in a couple of years. I'm super excited, but I really hope they pull out the W.

Anderson and Wright are out tonight. Hopefully those guys get right soon and get back to the rotation. But it looks like Gordon and Capela are good to go. And at least they've got Paul tonight against the Celtics. I'd like to think this game will go very differently than last time...

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    Bucks vs raptors in the ECF. Mark my words.

With everything you mentioned in the OP, this was a huge, huge win. Especially with both Paul and Harden off. James completely sucked down the stretch. Ariza and Gordon were fantastic, though. So was PJ, on both ends. The depth of this team is unbelievable.

With that said, that was possibly the second most annoying games of the season for me, behind only, well, the first game against the Celtics. Really, really disappointing when bench guys like Morris, Rozier and Monroe go off like that. At one point, Morris hit an open 3, 30 seconds later, he was left open for another made 3, and then, for some reason, of all guys, Harden dared him to shoot again. He obviously hit that one as well.

Anyway, the streak continues. 15 in a row, ladies and gentlemen.

Atmosphere at Toyota Center was electric at the end of that game last night. That was the first in-person Rockets game I've been to that felt like a playoff atmosphere and that went down to the wire like that. Really enjoyed it, and maybe I'll try to go to more in-person in the future.

That being said, I totally agree that it was a frustrating night. If I told you that Kyrie would only have 18 points on 17 shots before the game, you probably assume it was a blowout. But it was pretty much everyone but Kyrie who killed them last night. Morris looks like he still holds a grudge against Houston, and that's got to be his best game against the Rockets since he left. But he and Rozier shot freaking 8-10 from the 3-point line! What are the odds of that?

Honestly, though, my biggest frustration was with Nene's defense. He had a few nice baskets in the second half (and my wife thinks he's cute, so she made eye contact with me after every one), but his defense on Monroe was just abysmal. Monroe was a +23 with 18 points in only 19 minutes. Nene was a -16 in only 14 minutes. I love the guy, but he has GOT to do a better job of locking down the paint if he's going to get minutes against quality opposing big men in the playoffs. They really could have used Wright last night, and I'm actually a little surprised they didn't play more small ball with Tucker at the 5 considering how easily Monroe was scoring in the paint.

All frustrations aside, it was a fantastic game. This team is just so mentally strong, that despite my exasperations all night, I never felt like they were out of it. And they proved me right with some really clutch plays in the last few minutes. Ariza and Gordon were phenomenal all night long. And PJ and Luc had some excellent moments. Harden had a typical "off" night where he took too many threes, but still distributed well and made a big basket toward the end.

I'm not crazy about this funk that Paul is in right now, though. That's back-to-back games where he's just looked off. He couldn't seem to make anything in the first half and just looked totally passive. And they really needed him to step up with the second unit when Harden was on the bench, and he just couldn't get into a rhythm. He did hit a big mid-range jumper late in the fourth as well as some free throws, but I'd like to see him rebound against the Thunder on Tuesday.

Another big one coming up tonight in OKC. No Ryno, Wright or Joe tonight, but I still feel good about their chances as they're still deeper than OKC without those three guys. Like the Boston game, this is another chance for redemption for a loss the Rockets suffered this season without Paul and Mbah a Moute. I'm expecting a good game, though, as these two teams always seem to play each other close.

I'm loving this win streak right now, and 16 straight would be amazing. I've got to think they'll lose one eventually this season, but I'd love it if they could keep this thing going for a while and get revenge on OKC and Toronto. In a somewhat related note, where in the hell are you guys? We're going for a 16th straight win with the best record in the whole league, and this place has been dead for a week.

This 3-game stretch in four nights against the Thunder, Bucks and Raptors, all on the road, is just brutal. I obviously want the streak to continue, but I've got to think they drop at least one of those games. And you guys know me, I'm usually a very positive guy. I just hope they don't lose tonight, though, against a very likely Playoff matchup, and that triple-double guy.

With Nene playing tonight, I'm hoping to see Wright on the floor for the second night of a back-to-back tomorrow night against a very long Bucks team. I haven't heard anything about his status, though.

Game on TNT tonight. Please no Reggie Miller for a Rockets-Thunder game.

Marcus Smart was fined for his comments about Saturday night's game against the Rockets. Mostly complaining about the calls Harden got (despite everything that went down in their first meeting). Aside from one foul called on Jaylen Brown (in which he really didn't even touch Harden), I don't really remember any other bad call in Harden's favor. The Last Two-Minute Report was clean. No wrong calls whatsoever.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

Players only

TNT sucks.

Brent Barry, Nate Robinson and Derek ****ing Fisher. Congrats to everyone involved.

On a different note, watching Capela beating everyone down the court is just beautiful.

And Westbrook does not even attempt to play defense. Like ever. But I was told Harden doesn't deserve to be the MVP because he only plays half the game.

Man, 16 wins in a row. 9 of those on the road. The Rockets haven't lost since January. They haven't lost in Houston since January 4th against the Warriors, with no James Harden. First team to 50 wins. 35-3 when both Harden and Paul play. We're in March, and I can actually remember every single game the Rockets have lost this season.

Last night was one of the worst games of the season for Harden. He was pretty awful in the second half. They still won kind of comfortably.

This team is simply amazing to watch.

It seems Chris Paul is out of his shooting slump, and the Rockets did a much better job defending the paint last night. Nene was actually better than Capela, IMO. Capela was switched into George a few times and it didn't well, but that's hardly his fault. Not much he could do.

Nate Robinson was surprisingly better than expected. He was funny, and more importantly, he limited Derek Fisher to reading ads.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Another big one coming up tonight in OKC. No Ryno, Wright or Joe tonight, but I still feel good about their chances as they're still deeper than OKC without those three guys. Like the Boston game, this is another chance for redemption for a loss the Rockets suffered this season without Paul and Mbah a Moute. I'm expecting a good game, though, as these two teams always seem to play each other close.

I'm loving this win streak right now, and 16 straight would be amazing. I've got to think they'll lose one eventually this season, but I'd love it if they could keep this thing going for a while and get revenge on OKC and Toronto. In a somewhat related note, where in the hell are you guys? We're going for a 16th straight win with the best record in the whole league, and this place has been dead for a week.
    Between you and Eddie, you guys have it covered. Nothing more to add, really.

Playoffs are just around the corner, and I'm hoping for more activity here when the games matter the most. Still, we could start some different discussions to get more people involved, I don't know.

Anyway, huge first half against the Bucks on the second night of a back to back. They were really sharp defensively, but for a second straight game, too careless with the ball on offense.

With that said, James Edward Harden, guys. What the hell was that buzzer beater to end the half? Unbelievable.

I don't think I've ever seen officials get so many out of bounds plays wrong like tonight.

And also, when did Ariza become so good at finishing at the rim? He's hit some unbelievable layups this season.

Great win! Thought we would drop this one on a second night of a back to back but we played great.

Toronto scares me, they play is so well

Really great win tonight. They were sloppy in the first quarter and their legs started looking tired late in the second half, but they played great defense throughout and built up enough of a lead in the second and early in the third so that it never really felt that close. And this was another win where it felt like Harden and Paul both could have played better.

It's crazy that this team is so talented and so deep that they can go so-so games out of Paul and Harden, be missing 3-4 rotational pieces and still beat a playoff team on the second night of a back-to-back on the road by double digits.

What the hell was Chris Paul doing tonight? Man, he looked awful. All night long. Made me miss Briante Weber.

Hell of a streak. Schedule gets a little easier with 10 of their last 17 at home.

Harden played some ****ing stellar defense late in the game, especially on DeRozan.

Not a lot you can do when a guy like Kyle Lowry is hitting threes in his sleep.
    Last edited by EDUTEXANS; 03-10-2018 at 01:49 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast