Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yup... The Balls Are Still Juiced

Looking inside the balls and testing their chemical composition revealed that the cores of recent balls were somewhat less dense than the cores of balls used before the 2015 All-Star Game. The newer cores weigh about a half a gram less than the older ones, which might be enough to cause baseballs hit on a typical home run trajectory to fly about 6 inches farther. That alone is hardly enough to explain the home run surge of recent seasons, but when combined with previous research finding that baseballs began to change in other small ways starting around the same time, it suggests that a number of minor differences may have combined to contribute to the remarkable upswing in home run power we've witnessed since 2015.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/n...e-runs-in-mlb/

Full Report---> https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/juiced-baseballs/

Come Be The Apple Of The PWW Owner's Eye!

*PSD Wrestling Wars Link* http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...restling-Wars!

Yup... The Balls Are Still Juiced

While MLB states there are quality assurance standards for baseballs they did also concede that the ranges for “quality” had room for variability.

When multiple characteristics shift even slightly and simultaneously within parameters, the additive effect can still be significant.

This is the point I tried to make last summer. The ball can still meet standards, but perform significantly different.

This is understood by anyone with a background in quality assurance. I used to run a film processing lab. I had to recalibrate the processors daily based bc of subtle changes in chemistry, emulsions, etc, even if the changes for each were within tolerance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dugmet; 03-03-2018 at 11:23 AM.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Yes, I had also read that before Dugmet. And I agree. However, if MLB really wanted to, they can tighten up the acceptable range.

Huge x factor for this coming season

The homerun is killing the game. I found baseball less interesting than I ever had in any year prior last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    The homerun is killing the game. I found baseball less interesting than I ever had in any year prior last season.
    Didn't seem to affect your love in 2016

I didn't find it bothered me at all during the season but i definitely hated the postseason for the first time in forever. The postseason needs pitching heros too and i dont just mean brandon morrow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Boo frickin' hoo....that was one of the most entertaining WS I've seen in a while and I can enjoy pitching duels just as much as slugfests.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

I have no problem with the juiced balls, but I do think it’s has changed the game in some sense. The game has gone towards selling out for home runs and not worrying about strikeouts. And it makes sense. But I think there is a portion of the fan base that doesn’t enjoy that style of baseball. I think that is something to consider. Home runs are exciting, but a ton of walks and strikeouts have seemingly come with the increase in homers, and those things are not super exciting, especially walks.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Boo frickin' hoo....that was one of the most entertaining WS I've seen in a while and I can enjoy pitching duels just as much as slugfests.
    Thats fine, its your right to prefer it. I found it poor for the same reason you found it entertaining.

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Again, I don't prefer slugfests.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post

It sure is. It's causing starting pitchers to be pulled even earlier from ballgames now. The league leaders in IP are barely surpassing 200 innings right now.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Again, I don't prefer slugfests.
    Didn't say you did

I don't find that the home run is killing anything. That doesn't mean I'm a fan of the juiced ball or anything, but the game is the game, and it's cyclical. Just like the juiced players died off to a degree (just look at offense from 2012-2015), I'm sure this little spike in the home run will eventually fall back off to the wayside. It happens. Baseball will survive, and I'm sure in the next handful of years (not sure exactly how many), we'll be back to lowered home run numbers.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast