Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Stan Van's Hot Takes:Agree or Disagree

Seeing that the NCAA has been kind of exposes recently, how do you all feel about the slu of hot-takes SVG fired off? I believe Lebron and a few other stars also commented

Detroit’s Stan Van Gundy—one of the smartest and most quotable coaches in the NBA—got asked about the NCAA, and the Friday report about the FBI’s enforcement of recruiting violations, ahead of his Pistons’ game against the Hornets on Sunday. He took the opportunity to go in on the NBA’s free minor league.

“The NCAA is one of the worst organizations — maybe the worst organization — in sports. They certainly don’t care about the athletes. They’re going to act now like they’re just appalled by all these things going on in college basketball? Please. It’s ridiculous,” Van Gundy said.

He then went on to add that he thought* the one-and-done rule, which essentially forces basketball players who have graduated high school to either play a year in college or Europe before going to the NBA, was unfair and racist:

I think a lot of it was racist, quite honestly. And the reason I’m going to say that is, I’ve never heard anybody go up in arms about, ‘Oh my god, they’re letting these kids go out and play minor-league baseball’ or, ‘They’re letting these kids come out and play minor-league hockey.’ They’re not making big money, and they’re white kids primarily, and nobody has a problem.

But all of a sudden, you’ve got a black kid who wants to come out of high school and make millions — that’s a bad decision? But bypassing college to go play for $800 a month in minor-league baseball – that’s a fine decision? What the hell is going on?

The one-and-done rule, by most measurements, is good for the NBA’s business. Instead of letting talented but relatively unknown teenagers go straight to the draft—which, by the way, Van Gundy also thinks is a dumb way to add players to teams—it makes them build up hype by playing for free on national TV, usually for a school with a huge built-in fanbase that can then transfer over to the pros. Imagine how many more people will care about which team Trae Young goes to this summer, compared to last.

But obviously, Van Gundy is right that it’s only football and basketball—the two predominantly black sports in America—that have these rules limiting when players can become professionals, and it doesn’t make any sense. A minor league baseball player living below the poverty line is not better off than a basketball player turning pro right after high school, and yet only one of those things is currently impossible in the U.S.

*Correction (9:34 a.m. ET): Originally there was a “didn’t” in that sentence that gave it the opposite meaning. That’s been changed.
    https://deadspin.com/stan-van-gundy-...the-1823319890

I think you have to agree with SVG, LeBron and Jalen Rose... These guys know it and lived it... Heck, SVG was an NCAA head coach...

The NBA and the NCAA need to figure out how to do better by college players... It's going to eventually come to a head and the NCAA better hope a sit-out of March Madness doesn't happen...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

There is a problem when your congressmen get paid by lobbyists but kids can’t even have meal paid for.

NCAA is a **** show. I hope sports have outlets for these kids to make money.

I do have an issue with the NCAA, but I also get why they are the way they are. Theoretically, some of this is for kids protection. If they sign an agent, they are done. No more free education. However, what difference does 1 year make?

I am torn on it. You can't just pay players so easily. How do we dictate who gets paid? I understand the football and basketball teams bring in the majority of revenue, and a school would never pay a softball player for example. But how do we determine who is worth what? And then, isn't it more like a job offer, versus recruiting?

Idk, the system is broken. Just make it so you can either come straight from high school, or you need to stay 2-3 years.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Lava Ball had this mentality, but was in over his head. I'm happy that big names, especially LeBron, are now echoing the same sentiment, maybe they can actually start changing things

Great points by SVG and I agree

Make the G-League available to kids right out of high school. They can be drafted straight from HS but aren't eligible to get on an NBA team for at least a year. Or two years. It would probably attract viewership to the G-League and the kids can make some money. Might need some tweeks here and there but something needs to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Make the G-League available to kids right out of high school. They can be drafted straight from HS but aren't eligible to get on an NBA team for at least a year. Or two years. It would probably attract viewership to the G-League and the kids can make some money. Might need some tweeks here and there but something needs to change.
    This, and make the NCAA non-profit and have them split any revenue equally between all member schools. Give scholarship student athletes a reasonable amount of money to live on like a typical college student if they choose to go.

Colleges make a lot of money on 2 sports. They need to distribute that money to other school programs by rule. Either other sports or the whole school, but it should be used to make school better or cheaper for all students.

i was thinking about this and its definitely a tough one. i think the rule preventing players from coming straight from high school is for the greater good, even if there is the occasional player who we miss seeing as a pro for a year because of it, but one and done is pointless and bad for the quality of college ball. what i would propose is either come out of highschool and go to the Sacramento Kings, or play 3 years. that way we aren't technically saying you can't come right out of high school, but we all know you are gonna choose to go to school.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Who made the mistake years back when HS players that entered the draft never made it...??? And when I mean never made it, I mean never got drafted... Somebody had to have been there to tell them what their chances were of making the NBA... I mean, what a shame for you to get an agent declare and don't even get drafted... Something is wrong there... So many busts who would have benefited from college ball...

There are plenty of stories where they get drafted and it doesn't work out and they make a decent career overseas...

I agree that the MLB and NCAA rules show a little more favor for the player, but there are so many career minor league players who never make the bigs... At least for basketball players, there are plenty of overseas chances to make a living...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    Who made the mistake years back when HS players that entered the draft never made it...??? And when I mean never made it, I mean never got drafted... Somebody had to have been there to tell them what their chances were of making the NBA... I mean, what a shame for you to get an agent declare and don't even get drafted... Something is wrong there... So many busts who would have benefited from college ball...

There are plenty of stories where they get drafted and it doesn't work out and they make a decent career overseas...

I agree that the MLB and NCAA rules show a little more favor for the player, but there are so many career minor league players who never make the bigs... At least for basketball players, there are plenty of overseas chances to make a living...
    Haha, I just seen a video on this the other day, a guy named Lenny Cooke I think, ranked best high school player his senior year (LeBron's junior year). Declared for draft, didn't get drafted, made a few practice squads. They said he was part of the reason they changed it

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    This, and make the NCAA non-profit and have them split any revenue equally between all member schools. Give scholarship student athletes a reasonable amount of money to live on like a typical college student if they choose to go.

Colleges make a lot of money on 2 sports. They need to distribute that money to other school programs by rule. Either other sports or the whole school, but it should be used to make school better or cheaper for all students.
    Totally. Instead of extra money getting sent to agents or boosters or school board members or NCAA members, spread it out across the board and maybe help with tuitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I do have an issue with the NCAA, but I also get why they are the way they are. Theoretically, some of this is for kids protection. If they sign an agent, they are done. No more free education. However, what difference does 1 year make?

I am torn on it. You can't just pay players so easily. How do we dictate who gets paid? I understand the football and basketball teams bring in the majority of revenue, and a school would never pay a softball player for example. But how do we determine who is worth what? And then, isn't it more like a job offer, versus recruiting?

Idk, the system is broken. Just make it so you can either come straight from high school, or you need to stay 2-3 years.
    yeah... there is no easy solution... can you just imagine all the title IX whining that would go on...

you can't not pay the girls cross country team if you are going to pay the football players...

I am sure schools would gladly pay players if they didn't have to deal with title IX compliance (ie they would get rid of most of those sports) and only keep the sports that make money

Drink All Day, Play All Night, Let's Get It Poppin
    I third this. The schools should pay the athletes, if you want to defer payment until after graduation or until 10 years after enrolling (whichever comes first) that's fine. But because that isn't happening, you should allow the players to go straight from HS to the G-league so they can at least make money there...the NBA can even do a tuition program so that if it doesn't work out they can still go to school at a later point.

I can't stand the fact that there is a rule preventing individuals from achieving their dream. If a high school kid wants to go make millions of dollars in the NBA he should be allowed to declare for the draft whenever he wants. Forcing that person to go play pretend "student"-athlete for a year is a joke.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Probably the most logical compromise solution. I still think that G-League draft pick should be able to be called up whenever he is ready but at least that's a step in the right direction.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast