Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Draft Picks Overrated

I was having a discussion with a neighbor of mine (He is a Penguins fan) and he said that he thought in large part NHL Draft picks are vastly overrated, that a lot of teams in the NHL are worried more about the now than the future and that is why you see teams not worrying about trading multiple draft picks, including 1st rounders away.

He even thought of the 4 major sports, in terms of the draft the NHL was way behind football and basketball in terms of importance with their drafts.

Thoughts?
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

Draft Picks Overrated

NBA draft picks are worth WAYYYYYYYYYYYY less than the NHL lol. The NHL draft has slowly gotten better. I’d say the first two rounds specifically are now seen of pretty large importance. NFL draft will always hold the most importance and there’s a variety of reasons for that... the players come out the most “ready” to play the pro sport; lack of a developmental league; the league being so depth driven; parity of great players throughout the draft (2nd round picks can still rather routinely become pro bowl type players... it’s all about the development).

But if he truly believes the NHL is behind the NBA in draft importance... I’m not quite sure what to say lol... literally anything after the top 6 or so is a total crapshoot... in no other league do you also willingly trade late 1st round picks for 2nd round picks straight up for the “cap implications” lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    NBA draft picks are worth WAYYYYYYYYYYYY less than the NHL lol. The NHL draft has slowly gotten better. I’d say the first two rounds specifically are now seen of pretty large importance. NFL draft will always hold the most importance and there’s a variety of reasons for that... the players come out the most “ready” to play the pro sport; lack of a developmental league; the league being so depth driven; parity of great players throughout the draft (2nd round picks can still rather routinely become pro bowl type players... it’s all about the development).

But if he truly believes the NHL is behind the NBA in draft importance... I’m not quite sure what to say lol... literally anything after the top 6 or so is a total crapshoot... in no other league do you also willingly trade late 1st round picks for 2nd round picks straight up for the “cap implications” lol

2016 - 31-40 you have DeBrincat and Kyrou who look like top six guys
    2015 - 31-40 you have Fischer and Aho (top six) and Carlo and Dermott top 4s
    2014 - 31-40 is a bit slower, 5 have played in the NHL
    2013 - 31-40 is again really slow but has JT Compher coming along

Early second round picks you have the ability to grab legitimate talent. Drafting is getting deeper and I'd play that in part due to the progression of hockey in the United States.

2016 - 11-15 you have McAvoy who looks like he'll be a #1D (15)
    2015 - 11-15 is okay, Barzal went at 16 and is over a PPG (16)
    2014 - 11-15 you have Larkin, leading his team in points and is the core piece to his team (15)
    2013 - 11-15 all in the NHL a complimentary pieces though Wenneberg and Domi ahve had really impressive years

Point in. You can grab great pieces in round 2, and mid first round picks teams have grabbed legitimate top line/pair players. Detroit got it's centre for the next 15 years, Boston it's top pairing D and NYI their scoring forward.

Draft picks are legit. Tampa's core while Stammer at 1 and Hedman 2, Kucherov went around 60, Palat in round 6, Point in round 3 or 4, Johnson undrafted, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    2016 - 31-40 you have DeBrincat and Kyrou who look like top six guys
    2015 - 31-40 you have Fischer and Aho (top six) and Carlo and Dermott top 4s
    2014 - 31-40 is a bit slower, 5 have played in the NHL
    2013 - 31-40 is again really slow but has JT Compher coming along

Early second round picks you have the ability to grab legitimate talent. Drafting is getting deeper and I'd play that in part due to the progression of hockey in the United States.

2016 - 11-15 you have McAvoy who looks like he'll be a #1D (15)
    2015 - 11-15 is okay, Barzal went at 16 and is over a PPG (16)
    2014 - 11-15 you have Larkin, leading his team in points and is the core piece to his team (15)
    2013 - 11-15 all in the NHL a complimentary pieces though Wenneberg and Domi ahve had really impressive years

Point in. You can grab great pieces in round 2, and mid first round picks teams have grabbed legitimate top line/pair players. Detroit got it's centre for the next 15 years, Boston it's top pairing D and NYI their scoring forward.

Draft picks are legit. Tampa's core while Stammer at 1 and Hedman 2, Kucherov went around 60, Palat in round 6, Point in round 3 or 4, Johnson undrafted, etc.
    Yeah I’m with you. FWIW, in 13, I think Wennberg and Domi are studs lol. They’re legit building block pieces. McAvoy might also already be a #1... kid is legit unreal. Between him and Barzal in back to back years, there’s a chance you could have a future Norris Trophy and Hart Trophy winner drafted in the middle of the first round

You and I agree on basketball; I think once you get past the lottery, who cares much for the rest of the NBA Draft.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

Yeah I’m with you. FWIW, in 13, I think Wennberg and Domi are studs lol. They’re legit building block pieces. McAvoy might also already be a #1... kid is legit unreal. Between him and Barzal in back to back years, there’s a chance you could have a future Norris Trophy and Hart Trophy winner drafted in the middle of the first round

Domi and Wennberg have fallen off this season were my mere point. McAvoy is currently leading BOS in TOI. Larkin is currently leading Detroit in scoring and Barzal NY. These are pieces in the mid first. Domi and Wennberg aren't core pieces right now. Domi was in trade rumours and Wennberg's play has been lackluster.

Those early second rounders are top four and top six pieces. Legit ones. Alex DeBrincat is at 20 goals, Aho has turned into a core piece, Saad a few years back, ROR is a powerhouse centre, etc. Tomas Tatar, a second line 25 goal guy just got dealt for a first+second+third. 31-40 has legit talent though higher chance of a bust. There's value for a reason.

Look at the jets and tell me draft picks are useless

Speaking of draft picks anyone catch Ryan Donato’s NHL debut last night? 1G 2A in his first game and was the first star. The team is snake bitten right now with 5 of our best players out last night but the kid looks like he could be special if he can play like that

speaking of draft picks

winnipeg has a 19 year old with 43 goals

Settle down, it’s 1 game

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    Settle down, it’s 1 game
    ? No one is saying anything crazy... lol all I’m saying is it was very cool to see that in an nhl debut

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeyFool View Post
    speaking of draft picks

winnipeg has a 19 year old with 43 goals
    Yeah Laine is a beast. Some special talent in that draft

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    Settle down, it’s 1 game
    thats alot of goals in one game

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeyFool View Post
    thats alot of goals in one game
    He was talking to me trying to bring up Donato’s first game. Activity in here is rocking so I’d hate to clog up the forums with some actual discussion lol

It's crazy how Laine is not even a top 2 forward on the team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast