Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Phillies 2018 Spring Training Thread

Not the off-season anymore. See how long this thread will go until opening day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Franco still seems just ugh so far.

Tommy Joseph getting some reps in the OF (he'll probably be optioned)

Seems as though they are going with 13 pitchers and 12 position players to start (rumblings)

Nola is going to be the opening day starter.

I am getting a little hyped about the line-up and think they'll score runs and be decently balanced.

Herrera (SB/OBP)
    Crawford (OBP)
    Santana (OBP/little power)
    Hoskins (power/OBP)
    Williams (power)
    Alfaro (power)
    Hernandez (OBP/SB)
    Franco (power?)

It's quite amazing that you could potentially see Franco be the worst bat on the team.

AA and Knapp are probably your 2 bench locks. maybe Quinn and Rosales/Flaherty make the bench?

I'd still be ok with a Lynn/Cobb/Arrieta signing as I think adding one of those guys could really help this team. I feel pretty good that the Phillies could look at the WC. Probably miss out but could really push. I don't think the division is within reach but they could easily finish second in the division. I just love the youth and potential of this team a lot.

The BP looks nice with Neshek/Hunter/Neris as the last 3. A couple guys in there as well are nice with Ramos and Morgan.

This team may be a year away but this should be a fun season.
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Kingery is looking good from what I hear.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

He did hit his second ST homer today.

A few of the regulars are doing quite well. Hoskins, Alfaro, AA, Crawford from what I can see.

Pitching has blown though. Getting shelled.
    Last edited by philsphan123; 02-28-2018 at 10:51 PM.
    2011 PSD Phillies Forum HOF Inductee

Harry, I grew up with the phillies and learned the game by your voice. You will always be missed but never forgotten. Though you are no longer with us, you'll never be "outta here" in our hearts!

That doesn't mean anything. They're supposed to get shelled early in ST. Mostly, they're working on something specific and it can take awhile before command comes back.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

Not only that, they're pitching like 3 innings tops in these games. Basically working on things not trying to necessarily limit runs.

Sometimes I think pitching is THE most difficult thing to do in sports accuracy wise.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

I'm a little more impressed with quarterbacks tbh. The mound is always the same. The catcher is always in the same spot. The hitter is generally a constant.

Also, batting is harder than pitching.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Hasn't it been proven that hitting a baseball is one of the hardest things to do in sports?

I don't think there's any possible way to prove that. A bunch of old timey baseball players said it and nobody from other sports strenuously disagreed at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    I don't think there's any possible way to prove that. A bunch of old timey baseball players said it and nobody from other sports strenuously disagreed at the time.
    I would think it is the hardest considering the factors going into it. What old timey players say or said I don't think have much relevance. I'd venture there is a way to add enough evidence to get as close to proving it as possible.

In what a person can do, I'd say it's the hardest. I'd think it's physically impossible for a person of a certain height to dunk a basketball where there's no physical disadvantage (that's not a handicap) that prevents a person from swinging a bat.

Came so close to a hole in one once, and prolly never again

Does anyone know Russell Wilson personally, we can just ask him.

Eikhoff to the dL to start the season. Cobb anyone? 1 yr $12 mill
    2011 PSD Phillies Forum HOF Inductee

Harry, I grew up with the phillies and learned the game by your voice. You will always be missed but never forgotten. Though you are no longer with us, you'll never be "outta here" in our hearts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast