Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Should AR-15ís be legal to own?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, no restrictions.

    1 3.23%
  • Yes, severe restrictions.

    10 32.26%
  • No, why would someone need it?

    20 64.52%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 182
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    21,088

    Here we go: Should AR-15ís (or any type of AR) be legal to own?

    Pretty simple in terms of the poll.
    Last edited by WorldChamps1908; 02-21-2018 at 08:59 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    26,793
    If you want to shoot one, rent one at a gun range.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsbruh
    Posts
    69,828
    I believe in the 2nd Amendment.

    I also do not, however, believe that something written up 200+ years ago by men with syphilitic-rotted brains should be treated as absolutely unassailable law immune from correction, especially concerning things like guns. I'm pretty sure James Madison didn't have AR's in mind...but who knows for sure! Citizens of good standing should absolutely have the right to own weapons for self defense purposes, especially because we have devolved so far into a gun flooded society, but I see no reason why it isn't reasonable to restrict what types of guns those people are allowed to posses. These guns are meant for killing people, period. If you're hunting with it you're a loser and if you claim you need it and only it for self defense you're an idiot.

    I have such little respect for the people who argue that our almost wholly unique gun violence epidemic is the price of freedom and who stand up boldly in defiance of any form of progress, however small it may be, after each and every one of these tragedies occur, let alone pile up. I'm sorry if you think people's hobbies are more important than people's lives, but get over it. People in most every other developed world are doing just fine without shooting ARs in their backyards.

    We're finally not letting the right get away with "now is not the time", and bizarrely it seems to be due to teenagers. I doubt anything comes from it (Trump's comments are surely lip-service) but this debate seems to festering more than usual and we've even finally forced some politicians in front of grieving and angry people to defend themselves.

    Lastly, I think arming our teachers is the darkest and dumbest thing we could do. But because it is the darkest and dumbest "solution" I think it's the most likely.
    this my sig

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    72,911
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    I believe in the 2nd Amendment.

    I also do not, however, believe that something written up 200+ years ago by men with syphilitic-rotted brains should be treated as absolutely unassailable law immune from correction, especially concerning things like guns. I'm pretty sure James Madison didn't have AR's in mind...but who knows for sure! Citizens of good standing should absolutely have the right to own weapons for self defense purposes, especially because we have devolved so far into a gun flooded society, but I see no reason why it isn't reasonable to restrict what types of guns those people are allowed to posses. These guns are meant for killing people, period. If you're hunting with it you're a loser and if you claim you need it and only it for self defense you're an idiot.

    I have such little respect for the people who argue that our almost wholly unique gun violence epidemic is the price of freedom and who stand up boldly in defiance of any form of progress, however small it may be, after each and every one of these tragedies occur, let alone pile up. I'm sorry if you think people's hobbies are more important than people's lives, but get over it. People in most every other developed world are doing just fine without shooting ARs in their backyards.

    We're finally not letting the right get away with "now is not the time", and bizarrely it seems to be due to teenagers. I doubt anything comes from it (Trump's comments are surely lip-service) but this debate seems to festering more than usual and we've even finally forced some politicians in front of grieving and angry people to defend themselves.

    Lastly, I think arming our teachers is the darkest and dumbest thing we could do. But because it is the darkest and dumbest "solution" I think it's the most likely.
    I don't like this part at all, but the remainder, is pretty much my opinion spot on.

    Responsible gun owners understand the power of a gun. By that nature, they should also understand that certain weapons have no need in society, and further restrictions on obtaining a gun do nothing to harm RESPONSIBLE gun owners. Frankly, outside of a staunch republican who always backs their guy under any and every circumstance, I am mildly shocked gun owners aren't for more strict gun control.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    70,715
    In short, no.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    eau claire, wi
    Posts
    4,057
    Yes. They should be legal to own with more stringent restrictions and requirements.

    audits, character references, longer waiting periods, etc.

    Plenty of things we can try before flat out banning them.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsbruh
    Posts
    69,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I don't like this part at all, but the remainder, is pretty much my opinion spot on.
    Yeah, that was unnecessary. I was just reading an article about syphilis and how people think that most of our founding fathers had venereal diseases and syphilis and figure I'd throw it in for some hyperbolic backing of my argument!

    Either way, my point is: I think it's OK to expect and demand some discussion and nuance in regards to something that was written 220 years ago in a world that differs vastly from ours, and to not pretend that the people who wrote these laws were so infallible in their logic and foresight that 220 years later nothing should be up for debate or discussion. And that's really all I want. I don't want a complete gun ban. I want right now for our politicians to just look into it and show that there is some effort made in good faith to figure out why our gun violence problems are so unique and what maybe we should look to fix. Doesn't have to be changing the 2A at all, either. But that's what they hide behind, along with the NRA and their dumb slogans.

    Fund some research. Make a committee. Do something. The complete and utter inaction is long past inexcusable.
    Last edited by ManRam; 02-22-2018 at 10:58 AM.
    this my sig

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    72,911
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    Yeah, that was unnecessary. I was just reading an article about syphilis and how people think that most of our founding fathers had venereal diseases and syphilis and figure I'd throw it in for some hyperbolic backing of my argument!

    Either way, my point is: I think it's OK to expect and demand some discussion and nuance in regards to something that was written 220 years ago in a world that differs vastly from ours, and to not pretend that the people who wrote these laws were so infallible in their logic and foresight that 220 years later nothing should be up for debate or discussion. And that's really all I want. I don't want a complete gun ban. I want right now for our politicians to just look into it and show that there is some effort made in good faith to figure out why our gun violence problems are so unique and what maybe we should look to fix. Doesn't have to be changing the 2A at all, either. But that's what they hide behind, along with the NRA and their dumb slogans.

    Fund some research. Make a committee. Do something. The complete and utter inaction is long past inexcusable.
    We share a very similar take on this man.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    21,088
    Great points so far.. I am not a gun owner (yet) I do infact belong to a local gun range, but I shoot mostly hand guns (which is what I am going to purchase). I believe that Military style weapons should NOT be legal to own. THis is a very hot button issue at the moment and I sincerely hope that the government will act this time and not just say they are concerned and will talk about it. The time for action, should have been after Columbine, but here we are.

    Ultimately, this (just like every other issue we face today) comes down to money.. The amount the NRA gives to politicians is beyond dirty.. I really hope that we can come to the right solution without having to resort to corruption.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    eau claire, wi
    Posts
    4,057
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldChamps1908 View Post
    Great points so far.. I am not a gun owner (yet) I do infact belong to a local gun range, but I shoot mostly hand guns (which is what I am going to purchase). I believe that Military style weapons should NOT be legal to own. THis is a very hot button issue at the moment and I sincerely hope that the government will act this time and not just say they are concerned and will talk about it. The time for action, should have been after Columbine, but here we are.

    Ultimately, this (just like every other issue we face today) comes down to money.. The amount the NRA gives to politicians is beyond dirty.. I really hope that we can come to the right solution without having to resort to corruption.
    So if they are black and look scary they should be illegal? I think we need to get a little more technical than that.

    What about other "hunting" rifles that can accept high capacity rounds?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    17,442
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldChamps1908 View Post
    Great points so far.. I am not a gun owner (yet) I do infact belong to a local gun range, but I shoot mostly hand guns (which is what I am going to purchase). I believe that Military style weapons should NOT be legal to own. THis is a very hot button issue at the moment and I sincerely hope that the government will act this time and not just say they are concerned and will talk about it. The time for action, should have been after Columbine, but here we are.

    Ultimately, this (just like every other issue we face today) comes down to money.. The amount the NRA gives to politicians is beyond dirty.. I really hope that we can come to the right solution without having to resort to corruption.
    Uhhhhh your government doesn't exactly have the best track record there.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    17,442
    The logical answer is no. However, with martial law actually being enforced at one point in 2017 I wouldn't feel too safe depending on where in your country I lived.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    21,088
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo30 View Post
    So if they are black and look scary they should be illegal? I think we need to get a little more technical than that.

    What about other "hunting" rifles that can accept high capacity rounds?
    lol black colored weapons? Where the F did you get that from?? Certainly not my post (Besides most guns are black..But again, not sure your thought there).

    I'm talking any type of Assault Rifle (AR) or high velocity weapon needs to be banned. There is no need for the general public to have these types of weapons.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    21,088
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Uhhhhh your government doesn't exactly have the best track record there.
    What government isn't corrupt?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    eau claire, wi
    Posts
    4,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I don't like this part at all, but the remainder, is pretty much my opinion spot on.

    Responsible gun owners understand the power of a gun. By that nature, they should also understand that certain weapons have no need in society, and further restrictions on obtaining a gun do nothing to harm RESPONSIBLE gun owners. Frankly, outside of a staunch republican who always backs their guy under any and every circumstance, I am mildly shocked gun owners aren't for more strict gun control.

    Its because they all hear the word "gun control" and think that it means Hillary Clinton is gonna personally show up at your door and completely disarm you.

    as soon as the words "Gun Control" are muttered, the blinders go on and all sensibility goes out the window.

    The funny thing is, there is already plenty of "gun safety" precautions nationwide and in various states that we could discuss expanding on at little to no risk to the majority of responsible gun owners, while at the same time discussing various options for improved security in schools or other areas where vulnerable citizens congregate.

    See what I did there?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •